PDA

View Full Version : Mixed bag resources

KingsGambit
08-15-2014, 03:37 PM
When linking to/recommending Christian resources, how much does it matter if that particular resource endorses viewpoints that you believe are wrong or even heretical?

Though I'm asking this as a general question, I'll be specific about what inspired this: What I have in mind is Glenn Miller's apologetics website. He links to the Grace Evangelical Society and endorses it. (This group argues that repentance is not necessary to be a Christian, but you have to just mentally believe in Jesus.) See http://christianthinktank.com/webbio.html

ETA: The thing is, this is a very minor corner of his website, and his resources in general are so helpful that it seems to vastly outweigh it. But I honestly find the GES to be rank heresy.

Teallaura
08-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I'd be concerned if it were a pattern or the endorser endorsed the heresy/link supporting it (for its support) but not as a mere link, even endorsed so long as the endorsement is of the quality and not the heretical view.

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Doesn't Obsidian embrace what the GES says about repentance?

KingsGambit
08-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Doesn't Obsidian embrace what the GES says about repentance?

yes.

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Since you find GES to be "rank heresy" concerning what the say about "repentance is not necessary to be a Christian, but you have to just mentally believe in Jesus" and Obsidian embraces what GES says does it follow for you that Obsidian is a heretic?
---------------
In terms of sites that have great info but also have a link that leads to somewhere awful I would just ignore the link...or use it if/when people ask about it.
I would also write to the owner of the site and ask why he/she allows this resource to be there without some kind of warning.

KingsGambit
08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Since you find GES to be "rank heresy" concerning what the say about "repentance is not necessary to be a Christian, but you have to just mentally believe in Jesus" and Obsidian embraces what GES says does it follow for you that Obsidian is a heretic?
---------------
In terms of sites that have great info but also have a link that leads to somewhere awful I would just ignore the link...or use it if/when people ask about it.
I would also write to the owner of the site and ask why he/she allows this resource to be there without some kind of warning.

No, and perhaps that was not the best way of wording it. I do think it is a profoundly dangerous teaching as it teaches people that they might sin that grace might abound more, which could have grave eschatalogical consequences.

Darth Executor
08-15-2014, 10:11 PM
You'll have a hard time linking to anything if you only link to people who are never wrong.

Thoughtful Monk
08-16-2014, 03:26 PM
You'll have a hard time linking to anything if you only link to people who are never wrong.

Agreed. I guess I would avoid linking to or at least give a warning if I believe the site was very heretical.

One Bad Pig
08-20-2014, 06:48 AM
If I'm pointing someone to a "mixed bag" resource, I will generally include a caveat. For example, I generally endorse orthodoxinfo.com, but I reject their objection to the "New Calendar" and their anti-ecumenist stance.

KingsGambit
08-20-2014, 08:11 AM
The debate on repentance has been moved here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?3206-Derail-thread-Is-repentance-necessary-for-salvation

08-20-2014, 06:48 PM
. . . I honestly find the GES to be rank heresy.Please give a citation from them and what holy scripture on salvation (not some secondary issue) that you can show this to be true.