PDA

View Full Version : Do Reverends Al and Jesse actually Rev?

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 06:36 PM
I mean, seriously, they (Reverends Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson) are always referred to as "reverend", but do they pastor, preach, minister?

I honestly don't know, which is why I'm asking!

KingsGambit
08-15-2014, 06:40 PM
They preach the social gospel...

In all seriousness, good question, I don't know.

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 06:45 PM
They preach the social gospel...

Yeah, kinda, but it's more about liberation theology, I think.

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 06:47 PM
minister

I think they minister.....to those in certain "causes".

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Oh my goodness -- there's the grumpy Rev Jackson now, hogging the spotlight at Ferguson, Mo. :doh:

Teallaura
08-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Both are Baptist but I can't find any indication they presently serve or that Jackson ever did.

Jesse
08-15-2014, 07:57 PM
As far as I know, neither one is an accredited minister. They seem to be only ministers of politics.

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 08:04 PM
As far as I know, neither one is an accredited minister. They seem to be only ministers of politics.

If they're Baptist, the term would not be "accredited", it would be "ordained". And I think they both are. Sharpton was actually ordained as a Pentecostal Minister when he was 9 years old (yes, nine) then became a Baptist in the late 80's.

Jackson was ordained in 1968, but I don't know much about that.

Jesse
08-15-2014, 08:14 PM
If they're Baptist, the term would not be "accredited", it would be "ordained". And I think they both are. Sharpton was actually ordained as a Pentecostal Minister when he was 9 years old (yes, nine) then became a Baptist in the late 80's.

Jackson was ordained in 1968, but I don't know much about that.

Ah ok, sorry about that. I thought it would have been the same thing. Seems "ordained" doesn't mean very much if you can get it at 9. I never really considered them reverends or ministers of any type. I never see them preaching the Gospel.

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Ah ok, sorry about that. I thought it would have been the same thing. Seems "ordained" doesn't mean very much if you can get it at 9.

The Pentecostal Church can be a tad different.

I never really considered them reverends or ministers of any type. I never see them preaching the Gospel.

That's what I'm asking interested in -- do they preach or pastor? So far, doesn't seem like it.

Jesse
08-15-2014, 08:21 PM
The Pentecostal Church can be a tad different.

That's what I'm asking interested in -- do they preach or pastor? So far, doesn't seem like it.

I have seen Sharpton on church podiums preaching. But it was never the Word of God. Usually some politician was always in the front pew.

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 08:32 PM
What then is a reverend? What influenced does a reverend have in a society? What kind of minister is Reverend Jesse Jackson? A reverend is a man of God ordained by Theological Seminary such as the Seminary Jesse Jackson attended in Chicago. And though Jesse Jackson dropped from the Seminary to pursue his dreams for his nation, he was bestowed the Reverend title by the Seminary due to his achievement for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The Reverend Jesse Jackson influenced the people around him with his faith and words of God not in a church congregation but mostly on rallies, demonstration and later Democratic addresses and convention. The reverend in Jesse Jackson became a title equivalent to honorable.
http://jessejackson.net/jesse-jackson-religion-2/what-is-a-reverend

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 08:35 PM
A reverend is a man of God ordained by Theological Seminary such as the Seminary Jesse Jackson attended in Chicago.

:no: Seminaries don't ordain preachers -- that's a function of the Church. :glare:

he was bestowed the Reverend title by the Seminary due to his achievement for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

You're confusing an honorary seminary degree with ordination.

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm not confusing it. I simply cited why other people feel he is due this title. I don't.

He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. (Psalm 111:9, KJV)

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm not confusing it. I simply cited why other people feel he is due this title. I don't.

You provided inaccurate information, and apparently were not aware of the difference. :shrug:

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm just citing what other people claim.
You wanted to know why they are referred to as such.
Nowhere did I endorse what they wrote.

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm just citing what other people claim.
You wanted to know why they are referred to as such.
Nowhere did I endorse what they wrote.

You didn't "cite" or provide any attribution other than the tag at the bottom where you provide a link to the website. :doh:
You didn't use quotation marks....
Do you not know how to use cite tags? :glare:

Please leave this thread --- you're not providing anything useful.

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 09:15 PM
You couldn't figure it out that it was from the link?
Man, you are stupid.

DLAbaoaqu
08-15-2014, 09:15 PM
The Justice Bros. just go wherever a race-related incident occurs just to garner cash.

In my eyes, they're as legit as Reverend Horton Heat... sans the musical talent!

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 09:17 PM
You couldn't figure it out that it was from the link?
Man, you are stupid.

I've asked you to leave the thread. On your way, now, Foudie. Practice some "quoting" and "citing", then come back when you're able to do either. :wink:

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Keep asking moron.

Cow Poke
08-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Keep asking moron.

:lmbo: Stay -- you're entertaining, like the court jester. You can't even CITE or QUOTE, Jackwagon....

but truth be known, you're probably just making a really bad attempt to cover up your ignorance in not knowing the difference between an ordination and a degree. :wink:

foudroyant
08-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Go, now stay?

You sound like a jilted lover.

Get some help.

Cow Poke
08-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Go, now stay?

You sound like a jilted lover.

Ah, back to your specialty, eh?

Get some help.

Meanwhile, I was looking for the truth... you know, FACTS ---- and you come up with goofy gossip. :doh: Not surprising you can't tell the difference.

tabibito
08-16-2014, 06:13 AM
:no: Seminaries don't ordain preachers -- that's a function of the Church. :glare:

You're confusing an honorary seminary degree with ordination.

To be fair, the Foudroyant did repeat the substance of the article he linked to. Is it possible that some seminaries do actually ordain people? There are a number of different procedures through various denominations.

He moved to Chicago in 1966, did graduate work at the Chicago Theological Seminary, and was ordained a Baptist minister in 1968.

HowEVer - and according to some sources - it would seem that the Chicago Theological Seminary only awarded him an honorary ordination in recognition for his services.

Cow Poke
08-16-2014, 06:51 AM
To be fair, the Foudroyant did repeat the substance of the article he linked to.

Correct. He copy/pasted it, then provided a link. No disclaimer whatsoever.

Is it possible that some seminaries do actually ordain people? There are a number of different procedures through various denominations.

I really don't think so -- ordination is a function of the Church, just like baptism and communion. Even the "online instant ordination" scams have an associated "church" that does the ordination.

He moved to Chicago in 1966, did graduate work at the Chicago Theological Seminary, and was ordained a Baptist minister in 1968.

Yes, the ordination occurred after he did "graduate work", but BEFORE he was awarded an honorary degree. I found one article that stated he was ordained under a Baptist minister.

HowEVer - and according to some sources - it would seem that the Chicago Theological Seminary only awarded him an honorary ordination in recognition for his services.

Correct --- separate and apart from his ordination.

Cow Poke
08-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Is it possible that some seminaries do actually ordain people? There are a number of different procedures through various denominations.

That's actually a good question, so I started a separate thread (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?3154-Are-Ministers-Ordained-by-Seminaries&p=88498&viewfull=1#post88498)on it.

KingsGambit
08-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Jesse Sr. used to be pro-life. He wrote a powerful article arguing for life in 1977 before later changing his mind.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/nvp/consistent/jackson.html

Teallaura
08-16-2014, 02:48 PM
In 1964, Jackson graduated from college with a degree in sociology. The next year he went to Selma, Alabama, to march with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., eventually becoming a worker in King's Southern Christian Leadership Conference. In 1966, he moved his young family to Chicago, where he did graduate work at the Chicago Theological Seminary. Jackson never finished his studies, but was later ordained by the minister of a Chicago church.Source (http://www.biography.com/people/jesse-jackson-9351181#early-years)

And:

RELIGION: Rev. Clay Evans, Rev. Ralph David Abernathy and others ordained him a Baptist minister at the Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church on June 30, 1968. He is an ordained minister in the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc. Source (http://www.tmsfeatures.com/bio/jesse-jackson/)

So, evidently he has never served as a local pastor.