PDA

View Full Version : Tracfone's Interesting Advertising Theory

Teallaura
08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
I sent a email protesting their sponsorship of a particular show. This was the response:

Dear Valued Customer,

TracFone Wireless Inc. does not condone or support the content of any
particular show or network. As a national advertiser we have agreements
with several networks and as such, our ads run in a variety of programs.
Please reach out to Cartoon Network directly with any concerns you may
have regarding programming and content on their network.

Sincerely,

TracFone Wireless

Now, I can veto ads on my website and set perimeters of what kinds of ads I permit - that's just sensible business since you don't want ads running people off. If I can do that with my rinky dink website, is this really an excuse from a major corporation regarding its advertising?

Oh, and Tracfone, if you're paying for it, you most certainly ARE supporting it...

:lolo:

Cow Poke
08-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Kind of a plausible deniability policy.

Catholicity
08-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Its like a catch 22. They get money from a certain company for selling the rights to the logo as an advertisement, and the company or network uses the logo freely. However the company receiving the money isn't responsible for the content of each individual show. :sigh: it does oddly enough work that way. Its kind of like, if I work at a vitamin store that sells pennyroyale tinctures among everything else it sells The shop pays me and I sell pennyroyale to whomever wishes to buy it. I'm not responsible for the pennyroyale or how a person uses it. I just have to sell it. (Pennyroyale is a wierd herb and has some very objectionable uses)

Truthseeker
08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Off topic, but what advertising agency are you working with?

rogue06
08-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Are they implying that they have no control over what shows are on when their commercials run? That they let Cartoon network decide?

Juvenal
08-20-2014, 04:04 AM
Now, I can veto ads on my website and set perimeters of what kinds of ads I permit - that's just sensible business since you don't want ads running people off. If I can do that with my rinky dink website, is this really an excuse from a major corporation regarding its advertising?

Oh, and Tracfone, if you're paying for it, you most certainly ARE supporting it...

:lolo:

Kind of a plausible deniability policy.

The cheapest ad rates are for rotations from a network, so there's a healthy grain of truth in their response. If you're buying a rotation, you don't get to pick shows for your ads. I've been out of the business since 2002, so I couldn't say if Tracfone is a cheap advertiser. But if a show is toxic enough, even if they're buying rotations, they'll still call their account executives and demand to be pulled from that show. It used to happen with Jerry Springer all the time, even though his ratings were sky high.

I'm guessing the show isn't toxic enough for them. What show bugged you enough to write them, Teal?

Juvenal
08-20-2014, 04:16 AM
Are they implying that they have no control over what shows are on when their commercials run? That they let Cartoon network decide?

That's the way rotations work. The network plugs an advertiser buying rotations into whatever slots are most convenient for the network, which lets the network fill low-demand inventory, which is why rotations go for lower rates.

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 07:39 AM
The cheapest ad rates are for rotations from a network, so there's a healthy grain of truth in their response. If you're buying a rotation, you don't get to pick shows for your ads. I've been out of the business since 2002, so I couldn't say if Tracfone is a cheap advertiser. But if a show is toxic enough, even if they're buying rotations, they'll still call their account executives and demand to be pulled from that show. It used to happen with Jerry Springer all the time, even though his ratings were sky high.

I'm guessing the show isn't toxic enough for them. What show bugged you enough to write them, Teal?

That was my point - only a fool company would give it's sponsorship decisions to another with no recourse if they did something stupid. Tracfone hasn't gotten enough complaints - fine, but don't lie to me and say 'well, it's not our call at all'.

I'm not giving that thing any pixels - if you are really curious (and seriously, you can't guess?) pm me.

Juvenal
08-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Well, I haven't owned a television in years now, so I'm not up on the shows. I did check their schedule (http://www.cc.com/tv-schedule), but the only shows I've even heard about are South Park, the Daily Show, and Colbert and I've never watched a full episode of any of them, just clips on the 'net.

So no, I can't guess.

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Um, those are Comedy Central - I don't watch it at all.

PM on the way.

rogue06
08-20-2014, 08:13 AM
That was my point - only a fool company would give it's sponsorship decisions to another with no recourse if they did something stupid. Tracfone hasn't gotten enough complaints - fine, but don't lie to me and say 'well, it's not our call at all'.

I'm not giving that thing any pixels - if you are really curious (and seriously, you can't guess?) pm me.
Black Jesus?

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
:brood:

rogue06
08-20-2014, 08:20 AM
:brood:
I'll take that as a

http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/images/spiele/bingo6.jpg

Juvenal
08-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Dang, they named the network in their response! I read "Cartoon" and thought about the only network I knew that had cartoon shows. What next, a network just for shopping?

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 08:26 AM
:uhoh: I don't know how to break this to you but there's this thing called QVC...

Cow Poke
08-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Dang, they named the network in their response! I read "Cartoon" and thought about the only network I knew that had cartoon shows. What next, a network just for shopping?

There's even a "lifetime movie network", appropriately named, because it takes a LIFETIME to watch each movie!!!!!! Five minutes of movie, four minutes of commercial, three minutes of movie, seven minutes of commercial, six minutes of movie....."

Cow Poke
08-20-2014, 08:29 AM
There's even a "lifetime movie network", appropriately named, because it takes a LIFETIME to watch each movie!!!!!! Five minutes of movie, four minutes of commercial, three minutes of movie, seven minutes of commercial, six minutes of movie....."

Come to think of it, it's kinda like FOOTBALL!!!! With only 2 minutes of game remaining, you have to watch another THIRTY MINUTES to see the END! :rant:

robrecht
08-20-2014, 08:35 AM
No wonder lao tzu is so smart--he doesn't own a TV! I once lived for a couple of years and other times for months at a time without a TV. Never missed it, and that was before the Intertubes too. Now I try to get interested in one or two series but there's nothing really good on. I will occasionally watch a movie if it grabs my interest.

rogue06
08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
And every movie a variation of the same theme: some man done some woman wrong.

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Yeah, they base way too many of those on your exploits...

:grin:

:hehe: Sorry, no fair leaving straight lines lying around like that...

Cow Poke
08-20-2014, 11:06 AM

It's kinda like my wife and I got into watching Matlock reruns....

EVERY Episode, the person who will eventually be found not guilty enters a room where a murder just happened, and foolishly bends over the body and picks up the murder weapon just in time for the police to come and catch him/her at the scene of the crime. :smile:

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 12:50 PM
That's one I never have understood - why pick up the weapon? The person to see if they are alive, the phone to call for help but why the weapon? :huh:

Cow Poke
08-20-2014, 12:57 PM
That's one I never have understood - why pick up the weapon? The person to see if they are alive, the phone to call for help but why the weapon? :huh:

It's in the script! :smug:

Teallaura
08-20-2014, 12:57 PM
It's in the script! :smug:
:ahem:

Cow Poke
08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
:ahem:

That's the ONLY explanation I can come up with --- kinda like the monster chases the lady who's running in high heels, and he's moving at a snail's pace, but she will ALWAYS trip and fall, and he will get her.

Or the lady who shoots the attacker dead, then sits down and turns her back on him, and he's NOT DEAD!!!! What woman in her right mind (:ahem:) is going to sit there in close proximity to her attacker with her BACK turned to him?

Jedidiah
08-20-2014, 01:34 PM

I am glad that there is someone else here who is television free, and knows as little as I do about what is on.

Catholicity
08-21-2014, 10:38 AM
cartoon network? I know which one it was. nope probably not toxic enough

Cerebrum123
08-21-2014, 11:05 AM
cartoon network? I know which one it was. nope probably not toxic enough

They've been going downhill in quality for a long time now. Only 2, maybe 3 shows out of their entire line-up are even worth watching at all right now.

Teallaura
08-21-2014, 11:20 AM
They've been going downhill in quality for a long time now. Only 2, maybe 3 shows out of their entire line-up are even worth watching at all right now.

:yes: And they are getting desperate...

Cerebrum123
08-21-2014, 11:22 AM
:yes: And they are getting desperate...

They should fire whoever is in charge right now, and get somebody who actually knows what a good cartoon is. Oh, and if they are going to keep having live action stuff show up there, then they should go ahead and bring over Code Lyoko Evolution. Maybe bring back Generator Rex, and change the animation style of the Ben 10 series back to what it was originally.

KingsGambit
08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
I've never really watched Cartoon Network (other than maybe a few shows here and there back around 1997) so can I be forgiven for assuming it was aimed at children? Presumably many parents think the same way - therein lies the problem.

Cerebrum123
08-21-2014, 11:27 AM
I've never really watched Cartoon Network (other than maybe a few shows here and there back around 1997) so can I be forgiven for assuming it was aimed at children? Presumably many parents think the same way - therein lies the problem.

Well, for quite a while Cartoon Network has had it's kids shows during the day, and then "Adult Swim" at night. It's been a long time since I was watching it late enough to see it start up, so they may have stopped in the interim. I'm almost positive they had it going in 1997 though.

Teallaura
08-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Yes and no, it's not Nickelodeon and a lot of its cartoons are aimed more at middle school/teens with some adult programming late at night (weirdly enough, they re-did Toonami for this and use it in place of what was Adult Swim). Sunday night seems reserved for 'how many people can we tick off or gross out' crap.

KingsGambit
08-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Yes and no, it's not Nickelodeon and a lot of its cartoons are aimed more at middle school/teens with some adult programming late at night (weirdly enough, they re-did Toonami for this and use it in place of what was Adult Swim). Sunday night seems reserved for 'how many people can we tick off or gross out' crap.

Even as a kid, I didn't really like their cartoons as much because they just struck me as so much more cynical than Nickelodeon's. But I was a weird kid.

Teallaura
08-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Well, for quite a while Cartoon Network has had it's kids shows during the day, and then "Adult Swim" at night. It's been a long time since I was watching it late enough to see it start up, so they may have stopped in the interim. I'm almost positive they had it going in 1997 though.

Adult Swim was replaced by Toonami a year or so ago - but it's the same line up basis: anime on Saturday; gross crap on Sunday.

Teallaura
08-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Even as a kid, I didn't really like their cartoons as much because they just struck me as so much more cynical than Nickelodeon's. But I was a weird kid.
They are honestly the worst animated things on TV. A few are decent - Foster's was neat - but most are the same overly minimalist, badly animated, really badly plotted, throw in some weird/gross shots for the heck of it, dreck that became popular a decade ago.

Cerebrum123
08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Adult Swim was replaced by Toonami a year or so ago - but it's the same line up basis: anime on Saturday; gross crap on Sunday.

Toonami used to be awesome. They would play stuff like Batman the Animated Series, and Justice League.

The only shows I enjoy on Cartoon Network anymore are Ben 10 Omniverse, which has terrible animation now. It did go back to being a bit less serious than Ben 10 Alien Force though, which I enjoyed. And then, a kind of hit or miss cartoon, Regular Show. Obviously very inspired by the 80's, and early 90's.