Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need career advice! :)

Hey, Shane.

A few questions might help people understand your situation a little better.

1. Age?

2. How many years of college have you completed so far? Current major or degree?

3. This part of your post stood out to me:
    "to assist humans that suffer the most on earth; ... due to OCD (I believe it impairs decision making) and lack of information, I can’t seem to pinpoint the group of humans that objectively suffer the most. ... I’m not sure how to find a nice little, objective list of what causes the most miserable, agonizing existences. The way my mind works--probably due to the OCD--is that I always need to have the best, highest, elitist, most significant everything."

- This seems to be part of your OCD thinking and is unrealistic. Not easy to quantify suffering. Focus more on your strengths and desires so that you will be happy and fulfilled in the type of service work you choose or you will burn out and not be of much help to others.

4. This is a choice that you will need to make for yourself. Don't look for too much advice from others. That might be a way of not facing all of the questions in your life that are good and healthy to address as part of your growth and maturity. Take your time. Learn from and engage those who are closest to you, regardless of how one might quantify their level of suffering.

5. Good luck and God bless!
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Hello robrecht,

Thank you for the reply and valuable information. I am 21-years-old, and I have an AS degree.

Your bit about burn out really makes sense to me, and I hadn't thought of that. I'm just not sure how to convince myself that there is no single worst affliction. I still feel like I could use my strengths and desires to work with people from that group, you know?

What would be a good way to find out what my strengths and desires are?

Thanks,
      Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Shaney777 View Post
        Hello robrecht,

Thank you for the reply and valuable information. I am 21-years-old, and I have an AS degree.

Your bit about burn out really makes sense to me, and I hadn't thought of that. I'm just not sure how to convince myself that there is no single worst affliction. I still feel like I could use my strengths and desires to work with people from that group, you know?

What would be a good way to find out what my strengths and desires are?

Thanks,
        Shane
        Try a lot of different things. Get to know people who work in the various fields you are considering. What have you enjoyed studying? What did you get good grades in? What did you do extra reading on your own that was not required? Sometimes you can get on the job experience by being an intern or volunteer. It is typically easy to volunteer for various kinds of ministry.
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment