PDA

View Full Version : Internet Car Repair

Cow Poke
08-26-2014, 03:37 PM
My Mercury Mountaineer is a 2006 with ALMOST 250,000 miles. It runs GREAT, but recently the blower motor just started running FULL FORCE with no way to control it. Drove me BATTY! (OK, battier)

I googled the symptom and found THIS to be the likely culprit....

It's a blower motor speed control unit, and it's a "dealer only" item, meaning you can't buy it at NAPA or O'Reily or Auto Zone.

Ford Dealer wanted $149 PLUS install -- I found it online at RockAuto.com for $79 INCLUDING overnight shipping. Just installed it, and my car is purring like a kitten again instead of sounding like a MIGHTY RUSHING WIND!!!!!

I love internet car repair! :smile:

LostSheep
08-26-2014, 03:39 PM
:woohoo: Smart buy CP.

Zymologist
08-26-2014, 03:40 PM
What's an internet car?

Cow Poke
08-26-2014, 03:45 PM
What's an internet car?

Runs on Linux!

Raphael
08-26-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm going to be doing a bit of that soon. Getting an old '67 Mark II Austin Mini that will be a complete restoration job. So I'm going to have to hunt down a few replacement parts from around the world.

Cow Poke
08-26-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm going to be doing a bit of that soon. Getting an old '67 Mark II Austin Mini that will be a complete restoration job. So I'm going to have to hunt down a few replacement parts from around the world.

I remember in the olden days when I would go to a junk yard and the guy would check to see if he had it -- and if not, he would get on his ham radio (or CB radio) and call around to other junk yards to see if they had it.

OR, they would say something like.. "walk down that path til you get to that big ol' oak tree, then turn left at the 57 Caddy, and you'll find a couple of Ford Fairlanes on your left. Take a 7/16 socket, a hammer, and a couple of good cuss words with ya! :yes:

QuantaFille
08-28-2014, 12:17 PM
I remember in the olden days when I would go to a junk yard and the guy would check to see if he had it -- and if not, he would get on his ham radio (or CB radio) and call around to other junk yards to see if they had it.

OR, they would say something like.. "walk down that path til you get to that big ol' oak tree, then turn left at the 57 Caddy, and you'll find a couple of Ford Fairlanes on your left. Take a 7/16 socket, a hammer, and a couple of good cuss words with ya! :yes:

The olden days? Pick-n-Pull made a lot of repairs possible on my first car (an '83 Chevy Malibu). That wasn't THAT long ago, was it?

Bill the Cat
08-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Rock auto is great. A-1 is also really good for spare parts like that. For larger items, uneedapart.com is the way to go.

Bill the Cat
08-28-2014, 01:18 PM

I did just that a few weeks ago for my daughter's Toyota. Circle Auto Parts. Love them!!

Cow Poke
08-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Rock auto is great. A-1 is also really good for spare parts like that. For larger items, uneedapart.com is the way to go.

Hmmm... will check that out. Thanks!