PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Gossamer Gulch, A Fairy Tail



Pages : [1] 2

Teallaura
08-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom of Gossamer a beautiful princess (is there another kind?) lived in a magnificent (what else?) castle with her Mother the Queen and her Father the King. Gossamer was a small but happy kingdom. Surrounded by mountains to the west and the ocean to the east, as well as being well and wisely ruled, Gossamer had enjoyed peace for many, many years.

The time came for the princess to be betrothed. No small matter, since Gossamer's continued peace and happiness depended on how well she would be ruled. Word was sent far and wide that there would be three traditional contests for the princess' hand: one of strength, one of wisdom and one of temperament. many princes, nobles and even commoners came to take the three tests, but two years passed and no one had passed all three tests.

One day, while Esmeralda, the beautiful princess, and Myrna, her governess, were weaving a messenger came and requested the princess come to the royal court. Myrna made sure Esmeralda was dressed in her finest court clothes and hurried the princess to her parent's court. There Esmeralda saw a handsome young prince with a fine entourage. He was dressed all in blue and gold, but she did not recognize his livery.

Her royal father introduced the handsome prince as Reginald Ducane, prince of Chlug Remassog. He had passed the test of strength, managing to lift a dragon's head and retrieve a golden cloth from beneath (in those days, dragons and men were friends). He had passed the test of wisdom, choosing correctly which unicorn was telling the truth and which was lying about the contents of the chests they protected and retrieving the sapphire from the chest. Now, he had only to face the test of temperament. Since no one else had passed two tests thus far, their Majesties had decided it would be good to have the princess present for the final test.

With Myrna by her side, Esmeralda took her seat, troubled by something she couldn't place her finger on. She watched as the young prince was given two screaming children and told to retrieve the silver chalice the children had hidden. One child complained of being too hot; the other too cold. The Prince wrapped the cold child in his own cloak and fanned the hot child with his own hat. Then they were tired and not tired; the prince dealt patiently with each child. But the more he cared for them, the more demanding and irritable they became and he got no closer to the silver chalice.

The Prince kept his patience all through the day, dealing amiably with the bratty kids (let's call a spade a spade here, shall we?). But as evening started to fall, his patience became strained and his face darkened. One child wanted to play tag and the other wanted to play chess. As patiently as he could manage he set up the chess board for the one and began to chase the other.

But as darkness fell across the grand hall and the servants began to light the candles, something finally occurred to Esmeralda. Quickly, she leapt into the arena and scooped up the child playing chess. She handed the child to Myrna and grabbed the running child as it went by. She handed this child to Myrna as well and turned to face the now angry Prince.

"Chlug Remassog, you say?" Esmeralda asked sweetly.

The Prince bowed graciously, "Indeed, my lady."

"Surely you've misspoken, my lord. Didn't you mean the Land of the Inversions?"

Realizing his disguise had been seen through, the Prince transformed into a huge troll and howled. "Think you've won, do you little miss? In three days time you will disappear from this land and none save true love will find you again!"

With that, the troll disappeared in a puff of black smoke.

Quite predictably, despite all precautions, the Princess did disappear three days later, along with her governess. A huge reward has been offered to whomever can return her safely. The first clue is in that long winded post above - we already know you're gonna go, so it's now up to you to figure out where to look first and get going! Time's a wasting!

Actions?


(You already know each other. You are at the castle and trying to wake back up from the boring story the herald just told.)

One Bad Pig
08-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Where is this "Land of the Inversions"?

Teallaura
08-30-2014, 11:27 AM
"On the opposite side of the planet from Gossamer Gulch." The nice herald informs you.

Spartacus
08-30-2014, 01:30 PM
[This looks like a job for... BARDIC KNOWLEDGE!!!

once I get my character sheet in order :noid:]

Teallaura
08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
[:no:]

Chaotic Void
08-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Gades thinks to himself for a moment. Hm... this could very easily fund my travels and prove my worth as a mercenary

"Do you know how the princess disappeared? And is there any known means of getting to the Land of the Inversions? And speaking of said land... why would they steal the princess in the first place?"

[ETA: Also, Rogue... You playing? If not, :whack:]

Teallaura
08-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Alas, we do not know. Her Highness was at the spindle with her governess. Her handmaid stepped out but for a moment and they were gone when she returned.

When Gades asks the next, most logical question (anyone can have a good day and let's not take forever here :wink:) the herald points to a high tower on the corner of the main building of the castle. The spinning wheel is inexplicably kept in the top of that tower (it's a fairy tale - work with me!) and there is only one staircase up or down. They didn't pass the footmen or the maid coming out and no smears were found at the base (I did mention it's a TALL tower, right?).

[We'll wait on Mr Bardic Knowledge before answering the rest. :grin:]

Spartacus
08-30-2014, 09:03 PM
[15 on the die, plus 8 gives us 23.

If I'd thought about it more, I'd have put enough ranks in History to get the synergy bonus, but I kinda just picked a few skills and figured leveling up would help me even out the build.]

Teallaura
08-30-2014, 09:25 PM
[It's plenty for this.]

Siri stops and thinks for a second. the land of Inversions is known for being the opposite of whatever it is compared to or physically opposite of. Since Gossamer, the good kingdom is physically on the opposite side of the planet, Inversions is known to be evil. Its inhabitants bring that trait with them - they will almost always do something to the opposite of what it should be, thereby revealing themselves even in disguise.

Getting to Inversions is easier said than done - the journey requires months and at least two ships (no canal).

The why is easy enough - marry the Princess and you're king of Gossamer - wait, there's a catch, isn't there? Oh yeah, has to pass those pesky tests and be accepted by the people... wait, what good would marrying her do now? Ransom, perhaps? Why bother, Inversions ain't broke and there are plenty of closer kingdoms to raid. Gossamer isn't that wealthy, anyhow.

Siri recalls a little tidbit from long ago Geography class - Gossamer is the fabled home of Gossamer Gulch, the place where all the magical dream creatures are said to live. Maybe it's Gossamer Gulch, not just Gossamer that they want. They might be desperate enough to try kidnapping the princess - if they believe that dream creature fairy tale, that is...

Chaotic Void
08-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Gades decides to check out the tower. "You two coming along?"

Spartacus
08-31-2014, 09:40 AM
[I'm not nearly familiar enough with Apple stuff to make Siri as referential as I'd like. I don't even have an iPhone :frown:]

Siri nods. "No better place to start."

Teallaura
09-01-2014, 07:27 PM
[:twitch: O-kay...]

After a good bit of grumbling and being passed off to three different footmen, one of them finally draws the short straw and leads you to the tower.

An hour later, the exhausted footman lets you in the spinning wheel chamber. It is a big round room with three windows and ten spinning wheels. One of the wheels still has a skein on it. A niddy noddy is lying beside the wheel, next to the chair the spinner must have been sitting in. On a second chair a distaff is propped as if the person loading it had just stepped away.

Looking out the windows you are very glad you don't suffer from vertigo. Nothing human and very few things that aren't human and can't fly could survive the fall from any of them. Careful scanning reveals no greasy smears where they should be if the princess and her governess had inexplicably taken up tower diving. The castle's more conventional defensive towers are well positioned - something would have had a difficult time flying in unseen. Flying out with a screaming hostage, not gonna happen.

Actions?


[No, I'm NOT explaining the equipment - Google works just fine. FYI: No, it isn't significant.]

Spartacus
09-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Siri gives the nice man a 5 sp tip and casts Detect Magic before scanning the room.

Teallaura
09-02-2014, 08:37 PM
[One spindle glows.]

Spartacus
09-02-2014, 10:21 PM
[ooooh! I should touch it! :doh:

Can I get any more information about the spindle? What do I need to roll?]

Chaotic Void
09-03-2014, 02:03 AM
[Maintain the spell for a couple more 'rounds', then roll Spellcraft]

Teallaura
09-03-2014, 08:22 AM
[Don't bother]

Mentioning the spindle prompts a response from the still panting footman, "Oh... that... It... belonged to... Princess Aurora.... Got cursed... by a stupid... fairy.... You wouldn't believe the mess... we found... when everyone finally.... woke up... a hundred years... later."


[Fairy tale.... :grin:]

Spartacus
09-03-2014, 09:22 AM
[:hehe: I was gonna have the bard make a quip about the narrative significance of the art of spinning and the particular importance of the spindle, but that's hardly necessary now.

Anyway, I'm assuming that if there were any other auras, either in the tower or just outside the windows, you would have said so.]

"I see no signs of struggle. My best guess involves a surprise teleportation. Do either of you have any ideas?"

Teallaura
09-03-2014, 11:02 AM
[:thumb:]

One Bad Pig
09-04-2014, 01:56 PM
[would've been nice to get there in time to detect a lingering aura]
"That would be my best guess as well."

Teallaura
09-04-2014, 04:10 PM
[Actions?]

Spartacus
09-04-2014, 04:44 PM
[loot the room! The spindle might be usable as a touch weapon that inflicts sleep!]

One Bad Pig
09-04-2014, 06:26 PM
"Since the disappearance, have any guards reported waking up and not knowing how they got where they were (and not due to a drinking bout)?"

Teallaura
09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
The footman shakes his head, "No sir, not to my knowledge. We haven't had a disappearance here since at least two kings ago."

[That's three hundred years in fairy tale land. Kings tend to rule 'happily ever after' around here.]

Chaotic Void
09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Gades ponders for a moment. "Hm... is there a possibility that this was an inside job? I mean, after all, The Land of Inversions was able to sneak someone in as a prince. It's not entirely unreasonable to suspect they have spies or other agents running amuck."

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 10:12 AM
The footman just shrugs.

[He's just a footman, after all.]

[So, do you actually loot the room? Anything else while you're here?]

Spartacus
09-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Gades ponders for a moment. "Hm... is there a possibility that this was an inside job? I mean, after all, The Land of Inversions was able to sneak someone in as a prince. It's not entirely unreasonable to suspect they have spies or other agents running amuck."

Siri gazes out the windows as she replies: "That may speak more to their magical prowess than their internal connections... though the fact that no one bothered to look up Chlug Remassog on a map may mean you have a point. We can look for these agents, but we could also start looking for clues along the 'true love' route."

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 12:00 PM
[Siri, roll under Int.]

Spartacus
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
[13 on the die plus 2 is 15]

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 12:08 PM
It suddenly occurs to Siri that the princess mentioned Chlug Remassog just before revealing the Prince's true land (Inversions). She had known somehow... maybe Chlug Remassog was a clue?

Spartacus
09-05-2014, 12:27 PM
"Chlug Ressamog is just Gossamer Gulch spelled backwards... inverted. It would make sense that the prince of the inversion of the land of magical dream creatures would be a creature like a troll" she observes with a smirk.

"Of course, that just makes Gossamer Gulch itself another place to look for clues."

[just so were clear, this is the kingdom of Gossamer, and the Gulch is a legendary place hidden somewhere in the kingdom?]

One Bad Pig
09-05-2014, 12:41 PM
"The Gulch has got to be closer than the other side of the planet. Let's look there first."

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 01:36 PM
[Gossamer Gulch is located within the kingdom of Gossamer. It is a lot closer than the other side of the planet. :smile:]

One Bad Pig
09-05-2014, 02:20 PM
['Twas a rhetorical statement.]

Spartacus
09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
[I'd say, "what are we waiting for," but the stuff Teal said about it being a fairy tale suggest to me that we won't easily find it on a map.]

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 03:13 PM
[:whistle:]

Spartacus
09-05-2014, 03:20 PM
[this looks like a job for a knowledge check about local legends, yes?]

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 03:34 PM
[:yes:]

Spartacus
09-05-2014, 03:40 PM
[20(!) on the die plus 10 is 30]

Teallaura
09-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Gossamer Gulch is a day's walk away - in what direction, you don't know and it doesn't matter. As long as it's the destination of your heart, that's where you'll end up.

So the silly legend says.

But it also says something about Gossamer Gulch being something or other's home... No one seems to remember what.

The Footman only remember something good lives there. He says he's been there many times and can even tell you when - but not what why or what lives there. Evidently, no one remembers once they leave the place.

Chaotic Void
09-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Gades says, "Well, what are we waiting for, folks? Let's get to Gossamer Gulch."

One Bad Pig
09-06-2014, 06:22 PM
"Works for me."

[OTOH, will we remember any clues we get there? :uhoh:]

Teallaura
09-06-2014, 06:51 PM
[Probably - as long as what lives there isn't important...

:teeth:]

Teallaura
09-07-2014, 06:13 PM
[Moving right along...]

The footman is more than willing to let you take the spindle - seeing as it's a cursed item and they've been trying to find someone stupid enough to take it for years (he doesn't put it quite that way, in fact he complements your bravery, courage, strength and just about everything else when Siri suggests taking the thing [from SB conversation]).

Otherwise, there isn't anything to loot - unless you wanna steal someone's spinning and tote a fifty pound spinning wheel down a LOT of stairs. [Y'all are gonna have an interesting time with that bard of yours...]

Once back in the throne room, His Majesty provides mounts and provisions for the day's journey to Gossamer Gulch. Three days worth of provisions, which seems odd but who's gonna argue?

[I'm gonna presume you were ready to travel - post any 'eek, I needed to ____' actions in your next post and we'll count them as having happened before leaving. And on that note, off you go!]

Map and directions provided, you start out the next morning. A half day passes pleasantly but uneventfully. After a nice lunch, you don't ride far before coming across three goats, one normal sized and two progressively larger. The largest is huge. They are on the side of the road, huddled together as if in conversation.

As you get closer, you hear a childlike voice complain, "But Big Brother, you beat up Timothy Troll every day! We need to get to the pasture - I'm hungry!"

A deep, rumbling voice answers, "Timothy is on vacation. His substitute likes riddles - I can't help it if they change the rules! And besides, I don't even know what that thing is!"

Actions?

Spartacus
09-07-2014, 06:58 PM
[ugh. Didn't think about the possible difficulties of playing as a high-charisma character in one campaign and an overly terse robot in another.

and yaaaaay Billy Goats Gruff meets the sphinx.]

Siri, with a grin, turns to her companions: "Do either of you like riddles?"

Teallaura
09-07-2014, 08:09 PM
[Bonus xp]

Chaotic Void
09-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Gades Shrugs, "Not particularly."

One Bad Pig
09-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Twig shrugs. "We're already trying to solve one. Why not go for two?"

Teallaura
09-08-2014, 09:08 AM
[So, do you talk to the nice goats, cram for the riddle quiz or just ride on up?]

Chaotic Void
09-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Gades approaches the goats. "What seems to be the problem, folks?"

Teallaura
09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
The three goats all look around at you, the smallest hiding behind the largest's legs. The largest speaks, "Greetings, Man. We cannot cross the Troll Bridge. The thing guarding it insists on having an answer to its riddle and we don't know the answer."

Spartacus
09-08-2014, 07:21 PM
[Q: what is the air speed of an unladen migratory swallow?
A: I fart in your general direction!

Room-looting, check. Monty Python reference, check. I may figure out this "role-playing" thing yet!]

"What is the riddle?"

Teallaura
09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
"What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three legs at night but never tells you why it crosses the road?"

Spartacus
09-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Siri nods thoughtfully as she takes it in, then beckons her colleagues in close. She whispers,

"Here's what I think... one of us draws it out, the other two get the drop on it."

[Role-playing cliche #3: violence as the first resort rather than the last]

Teallaura
09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
[:rofl:]

One Bad Pig
09-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Twig whispers, "I'd go with answering 'a king' first, but I like your option as a fall-back."

Chaotic Void
09-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Gades whispers, "I like your little backup plan... though, the 'crossing the road' bit makes me think the answer is a Chicken. However, doesn't explain the 'different number of legs' portion of the riddle."

One Bad Pig
09-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Twig whispers, "A king crawls when a baby, walks as a man, and uses a cane as an old man, and doesn't tell anyone why he's doing anything. Anybody have a better suggestion?"

Chaotic Void
09-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Gades raises an eyebrow and cocks his head to the right, "When you put it that way, Twig, it makes sense."

Teallaura
09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
"Hey, can we go with you? I'm reeeeeaaaallly hungry." asks the smallest goat.

Chaotic Void
09-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Gades says to his allies, "I don't really see why not... As long as they don't do anything drastic. You guys got any objections?"

One Bad Pig
09-10-2014, 08:28 AM
:shrug: Why not?

Teallaura
09-10-2014, 09:23 AM
The goats willingly promise not to interfere. You get the impression the oldest just wants to see if you can do it but the other two want food and don't care how they get to it.

[Any other actions or are you moving on?]

Teallaura
09-11-2014, 07:03 PM
[Taking that as a 'no'...]

You ride on with three goats tagging along behind. Over the next hill you see a lovely stream in the valley below and a picturesque bridge crossing it. As you approach a large creature, far larger than should logically fit under the bridge, crawls out and confronts you. It has the body of a lion and the head of a lovely woman.

"Who approaches my bridge?" she growls, literally. "If you would cross, answer my riddle."

[Assuming you say yes seems reasonable and we may as well get this thing moving...]

"What rises in the evening, sets in the morning and is red all over?" She asks.


[Actions?]

Spartacus
09-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Siri whispers to her companions, "My plan would have been more fun," before saying to the sphinx, "A blood moon."

Teallaura
09-11-2014, 09:21 PM
The sphinx looks a little miffed then shakes its head, "Wrong."

Behind you, one of the goat's whispers, "Why didn't it say it was gonna eat him?"

The sphinks puts its paw over its face, "Drat, I knew I forgot something. See if I ever help Timmy out again." It sighs then turns to you, "Okay, that didn't count 'cause I forgot to tell you I get to eat you when you get them wrong. So, try this one: What runs on four legs at noon and walks on two at midnight and why does it fly south for the winter?"


[Actions?]

Spartacus
09-11-2014, 09:29 PM
[Get off my high horse.]

One Bad Pig
09-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Twig objects, "That's two questions! Is that a proper riddle?"

Teallaura
09-12-2014, 08:10 AM
The sphinx looks confused for a moment. "It's a riddle, I think... Okay, okay, how about 'why did the duck fly south in the morning?"

Chaotic Void
09-12-2014, 08:35 AM
[OOC: Because he wasn't from the Land of Inversions. Otherwise, the duck would be flying north at night. :hehe:]

One Bad Pig
09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
"That's not a riddle. That's a joke minus the punchline."

Teallaura
09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
The sphinx looks a little miffed, "Fine, last one: why did the chicken cross the bun?"

Chaotic Void
09-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Gades replies in an irritated tone, "That's not even a coherent joke."

Teallaura
09-12-2014, 12:58 PM
A now really irritated sphinx looks at you, "Fine. One last, last try: As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives, each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats, each cat had seven kits: kits, cats, sacks, and wives, how many were there going to St. Ives?"

She pauses for a second then adds, "and crosses the road?"

Teallaura
09-14-2014, 04:28 PM
[:poke:]

Chaotic Void
09-14-2014, 05:22 PM
[I think the Party is just at a loss of words for how terrible this Sphinx is... did it flunk Riddle School's Kindergarten?]

Teallaura
09-14-2014, 05:33 PM
[No, that would be an improvement on this sphinx' riddle abilities. Incidentally, from the look on its face it's going from 'confused' to 'massively annoyed' at about 60 mph...]

Chaotic Void
09-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Gades catches onto the rhyme... at least until the Sphinx wrenches it with that last line after the pause. He ponders for a moment, even appearing to count on his fingers several times before he catches himself, then responds, "There is at least one person: You, and anyone traveling alongside you to St. Ives. That could very well include the man and his collection of wives, sacks, cats, and kits... but if you're going to be vague in your questioning, then I will do likewise with my answer."

Teallaura
09-14-2014, 05:53 PM
The sphinx sputters and growls. It seems too mad to do anything for a second, then it yells, "Wrong! Now I eat you!"

The sphinx leaps toward Gabe. Actions?


[Now is a good time to ask - would you prefer group or individual initiative? Needless to say, roll it along with any attacks/damage. Unless you are feeling generous enough to give the poor thing a free meal? :grin:]

Chaotic Void
09-14-2014, 06:01 PM
[Initiative: 15 + 3 = 18. ETA: regarding Group/Individual Initiative, I vote for Individual Initiative. Were this a large battle, I'd say 'Group']

Feeling sorry for this poor Gabe fellow, Gades unleashes a Flurry of Blows towards the Sphinx. "Cheater! Go back to the Land of Inversions where you came from!"

Blow 1: 11 + 9 = 20. Damage = 6 + 4 + 3 = 13
Blow 2: 6 + 9 = 15. Damage = 2 + 6 + 3 = 11

[Oh, and my AC is 19.]

Teallaura
09-14-2014, 06:08 PM
The sphinx strikes first, landing a moderate blow [-10] with its claws while taking considerable punishment from Gabe (Oww!). Landing, it turns and attacks again.

Actions?

One Bad Pig
09-14-2014, 06:52 PM
[Is everybody in melee range at this point, or did the others not involved in the initial exchange have an opportunity to move away?]
Initiative=14+4=18

Teallaura
09-14-2014, 07:17 PM
[You are all in melee range. Sphinx acts before you do. ]

One Bad Pig
09-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Twig unlimbers his longsword and takes a swing.
[10+10=20; damage=8+4=12]

Teallaura
09-15-2014, 10:41 AM
[Waiting for CV's attack. You doing anything, Spart?]

Chaotic Void
09-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Undaunted by his injuries, Gades unleashes another Flurry of Blows, attempting to take the Sphinx down.

Blow 1: 7 + 9 = 16. 4 + 4 + 3 = 11 Damage.
Blow 2: 13 + 9 = 22. 1 + 1 + 3 = 5 Damage.

Teallaura
09-15-2014, 11:42 AM
[What did it ever do to you? :innocent:]

The now badly battered sphinx manages a couple claw strikes on Gabe [18 dam total] then turns tale and runs. You can hear its feminine voice crying like a little girl as it heads off.

[Yes, you can both attack as the poor thing flees...]

Chaotic Void
09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Gades, smarting from the last blow (25/53 HP), tries to land a nasty haymaker as the Sphinx runs away.

[To hit: 14 + 10 = 24. Damage = 5 + 6 + 3 = 14]

Teallaura
09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
[Wait, what? Are you doing blunt damage or weapon?]

Chaotic Void
09-15-2014, 11:59 AM
[Blunt.]

Teallaura
09-15-2014, 12:00 PM
[Okay. Congrats, you now have a knocked out sphinx.]

Spartacus
09-15-2014, 02:34 PM
[And I didn't even have to do anything (yay travel!)! But if I did, I would have gotten a few attacks of opportunity, I think :smug: ]

Chaotic Void
09-15-2014, 06:12 PM
[I say we hog-tie the thing and let the goats use it as a head-butting bag. ]

One Bad Pig
09-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Or we could hog-tie it, wait for it to revive, and see if it has any relevant information to divulge in exchange for release.

Teallaura
09-15-2014, 06:51 PM
As you're debating, the smallest goat gallops off toward the bridge, yelling, "Yay! Food! Thanks, Mister Fighter Men!"

The middle sized one follows after a look at its larger sibling. Evidently someone needs to supervise.

The smallest hits the bridge at full gallop and is midway across when a long, light blue tentacle emerges from the water below the bridge and grabs the little fellow. It bellows in fear and its brother charges to its aid. The largest, who had waited to thank you more politely, races to save his siblings.

Actions?

Spartacus
09-15-2014, 06:54 PM
[how far away is this from where we are?]

Teallaura
09-15-2014, 06:57 PM
[About forty yards.]

Spartacus
09-15-2014, 07:04 PM
[40 yards is 3 times my movement. dem goats move fast.]

Siri moves 80 feet toward the bridge.

One Bad Pig
09-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Twig grabs his bow, moves a few yards toward the bridge [just enough to lose the negative distance modifier], and aims an arrow toward the base of the tentacle:

[18+16=34; damage=1+8=9]

Chaotic Void
09-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Gades heads into the direction of the battle (His movement Speed is 50 ft), chugging a Potion of CMW as he goes (2d8 + 3 = 8 + 1 + 3 = 12)

Teallaura
09-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Twig nails the tentacle and it drops the goat then sinks below the bridge. There are two more coming up (one on either side) however.

The two larger goats arrive and the middle tosses the smallest to the largest. The largest throws the smallest out of harms way. The middle, still on the bridge, trips over an emerging tentacle which tries but fails to grapple it.

Actions?

Spartacus
09-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Siri moves 10 feet away from one of the tentacles (let's say the one on the right side of the bridge), then attacks it with her spiked chain.

[hit: 13d20+8=21
7 damage]

Spartacus
09-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Siri moves 10 feet away from one of the tentacles (let's say the one on the right side of the bridge), then attacks it with her spiked chain.

[hit: 13d20+8=21
7 damage]

Chaotic Void
09-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Gades remembers that they currently have a prisoner to detain, and runs back to stop her from escaping, should she regain consciousness.

One Bad Pig
09-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Twig shoots the tentacle on the left:
[17+16=33; damage=7+8=15]

Spartacus
09-16-2014, 10:35 PM
[I guess next time me and my extended range and extra attacks of opportunity get to watch the prisoner, eh? :wink: ]

Teallaura
09-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Both Siri and Twig find their marks. Both tentacles begin to withdraw but even more start coming up the sides of the bridge. The two goats run for it and make it safely off and halfway up the hill.

Gades reaches the still unconscious sphinx.

There are at least ten tentacles coming up from beneath the bridge: four on one side and six on the other that you can see.

Actions?

One Bad Pig
09-17-2014, 09:02 AM
[may as well keep plonking away at it - it's bound to run out of HP eventually]
Twig sends another arrow into the mass of tentacles.
[18+16=34; damage=8+8=16]

[to Gades:]"Just hog-tie the thing if you're worried about it waking up. We have another beastie to worry about."

Chaotic Void
09-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Gades ties the creature up (Use rope: 14 + 3 = 17), then runs straight towards the bridge.

Spartacus
09-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Another attack, followed by a 5-foot step back.

[hit: 20(!) +8=28, aaand 11+8=19 to confirm
damage: 8. I don't entirely understand crit: if it doubles the result on the dice, it's 14. If it doubles all the weapon damage (including STR and magic bonuses), 16.]

One Bad Pig
09-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Twig calls out, "Why are you two determined to close with that snakepit? Ten on two does not seem like good odds."

[for a critical hit x2, roll twice, and add the bonuses to each roll]

Spartacus
09-17-2014, 12:27 PM
[okay then, I end up dealing 17 damage.]

Teallaura
09-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Two tentacles sink beneath the bridge, one looking particularly bad. Several more start up as the existing eight begin to writhe around on the bridge deck. One finds a spindle and yanks it out then pulls it under the bridge.

[Spot checks, please! And yes, you can keep right on attacking the thing. :smile:]

One Bad Pig
09-17-2014, 03:14 PM
[:uhoh: A collapsible bridge? :noid:]
[spot check=8-1=7]

Twig sends an arrow towards a tentacle that looks likely to find another spindle.
[5+16=21; damage=5+8=13]

Teallaura
09-17-2014, 03:36 PM
[Spindles are part of the railing... :sigh:]

Spartacus
09-17-2014, 04:33 PM
[5 for the spot check. yay]

One Bad Pig
09-17-2014, 06:25 PM
[5 for the spot check. yay]
[great, we're both oblivious]

Chaotic Void
09-17-2014, 09:32 PM
[Me Too? Spot = 13 + 3 = 16.]

Gades rushes closer to the bridge (is he in range to attack?).

Teallaura
09-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Twig 'kills' two more tentacles and they retreat. Gades notices that one of the tentacles coming up from the water has an arrow already stuck in it, yet it doesn't seem overly affected. Several more emerge, they all seem to be blindly searching the bridge.

Actions?

[Yep, you are in range, Gades.]

One Bad Pig
09-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Twig keeps firing away.
[11+16=27; damage=2+8=10]

Chaotic Void
09-18-2014, 10:09 AM
[Flurry of Blows, Folks!]

Gades keeps punching the tentacles as they come up

To hit 1: 17 + 9 = 26
Damage 1: 4 + 2 + 3 = 9

To hit 2: 1... + 9 = 10
Damage 2: I'm not even going to bother. :brood:

Teallaura
09-18-2014, 10:14 AM
[Bother - you wouldn't believe how low their AC is. While you're at it, you might wanna dodge them - roll, please. :grin:]

One Bad Pig
09-18-2014, 10:29 AM
[Isn't an attack roll of 1 an automatic miss regardless of AC?]

Teallaura
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
[:doh: Never mind... ]

Chaotic Void
09-18-2014, 10:35 AM
[It's a Crit Fail. I wouldn't be able to hit :wink: So what do you want me to roll again? :noid:]

Teallaura
09-18-2014, 11:13 AM
[Dodge if you have a specific skill; under Dex if not.]

Chaotic Void
09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
[Would Tumble Work? If not, 11 + 3 = 14. If so, then it's 19]

Spartacus
09-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Siri steps toward Gades and readies an attack against the first tentacle that attempts to grab Gades or her.

[attack:
7d20+8=15, 7 damage.]

Teallaura
09-18-2014, 02:22 PM
[Tumble works]

Tentacles get shot and retreat as Twig and Siri attack. Punches have some effect - they retreat but not as far before coming back up. More new ones come up, although fewer than before. Gades manages to get out of the way of a particularly frisky tentacle.

The bridge is now a writhing mass of tentacles and impossible to pass. The small goat laments, from the safety of the horses, "Aww, man, we're gonna have to eat grass again!"

Actions?

One Bad Pig
09-18-2014, 02:57 PM
[Anybody got a Molotov cocktail handy? :brood:]

Spartacus
09-18-2014, 05:27 PM
[I could cast Grease on it, but that's about it]

One Bad Pig
09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
[I'll be out of town until Sunday evening, and then I'll be watching football.]

Teallaura
09-19-2014, 09:18 AM
[Okay, have a nice trip! :smile:

I read the Grease spell, it says it is a layer of 'grease' so I'll allow it to be considered flammable if you guys want to burn down the bridge... for whatever reason... :twitch:]

Spartacus
09-19-2014, 09:59 AM
[Okay, have a nice trip! :smile:

I read the Grease spell, it says it is a layer of 'grease' so I'll allow it to be considered flammable if you guys want to burn down the bridge... for whatever reason... :twitch:]

[The idea was that it would make it impossible for the tentacles to hang on to the bridge.]

Teallaura
09-19-2014, 11:05 AM
[They aren't clinging to the bridge - they are feeling around as if searching for something. The odd one will grab onto the bridge but lets go. Only one ripped out a spindle from the railing - they don't seem intent on harming the bridge, just grabbing things.]

Spartacus
09-19-2014, 10:32 PM
[Here's a joke. Stop me if you've heard it before...

A rogue, a monk, and a bard are trying to cross this bridge, but the troll called in his friends the Sphinx and the Watcher in the Water to cover for him so that the Billy Goats Gruff couldn't beat him up like they usually do...

No, but seriously: how big is the bridge? and the river?]

Teallaura
09-20-2014, 02:54 PM
[:hehe:

Thirty yards for the bridge. Ten yards wide. The river is about 25 yards wide.]

Spartacus
09-21-2014, 08:28 AM
[Could I possibly convince you to not use yards? I have to convert it to feet and then into 5-foot increments in order to make it work for all my character's numbers...]

Teallaura
09-21-2014, 06:38 PM
[Could I possibly convince you to not use yards? I have to convert it to feet and then into 5-foot increments in order to make it work for all my character's numbers...]
[No. :brood:

Okay, okay - I was just feeling contrary... :tongue:]

Spartacus
09-21-2014, 06:54 PM
[so it seems each tentacle is 20+ feet long, depending on how long the tentacles are. That's fun.

What might I roll to identify the creature? Or shall I roll spot to see if I can discern the creature's main body?]

Teallaura
09-21-2014, 07:05 PM
[so it seems each tentacle is 20+ feet long, depending on how long the tentacles are. That's fun.

What might I roll to identify the creature? Or shall I roll spot to see if I can discern the creature's main body?]

[:no: You didn't ask how high the bridge was above the water. The tentacles average thirty to forty feet in length and are pretty substantial - most of the length being about the diameter of a telephone pole until they taper down to a teacup sized point. What ever is is, it are BIG!!

Do an ability check under Bardic Knowledge. -3 - it's not a commonly known critter but I'll give you a chance.]

Chaotic Void
09-21-2014, 07:12 PM
[Wait, if it's just grabby, then what's stopping us from just crossing the bridge? :hehe:]

Gades bolts across the bridge as quick as he can, after punching another tentacle (18 to hit, 8 Damage).

Spartacus
09-21-2014, 07:13 PM
[19d20+8-3=24]

Teallaura
09-21-2014, 07:15 PM
[CV, there are about three DOZEN of the things reaching all over the bridge - you sure you wanna do that? If so, roll to dodge. :hrm:]

Chaotic Void
09-21-2014, 07:17 PM
[Tumble: 13 + 8 = 21. :smug:]

Teallaura
09-21-2014, 08:27 PM
[Five more, Smart Alec - it's a long bridge and a lot of tentacles. :brood:

Siri thinks he's read something about a tentacle creature that is anchored to the bottom of a body of water, usually a moving body, and uses its tentacles to catch whatever passes and eat it. He's not sure of the name but he is sure none of the books mentioned it getting this big!]

Spartacus
09-21-2014, 08:36 PM
[Siri is a she, just so we're perfectly clear on that point.]

"Get back here, you idiot!"

Chaotic Void
09-21-2014, 08:36 PM
[Total rolls: 20, 27, 19, 23, and 9. Yes, that one was a critical failure. Do your worst.]

Teallaura
09-21-2014, 08:53 PM
[Siri: Oops, sorry! I forgot! :blush:]

Gades trips and falls as one of the tentacles closes around him. [20pts crushing damage] It clings tightly and begins to lift him off the bridge.

[Gades is almost to the other side. Sure you can reach him - as long as you dodge all the tentacle successfully... Realistically, you can shoot the thing but only Gades is where he can try to cut it off.]

Actions?

Spartacus
09-21-2014, 08:57 PM
[If I can get within 40 feet of him, I can cover his clothes with grease to allow him to escape. How far into the tentacles would I have to go to do that?]

Teallaura
09-21-2014, 09:04 PM
[He's about 15 feet from the other end so that's seventy-five feet from your end. Thirty five feet in - only a dozen or more tentacles in your way as you stop and cast. No problem... :innocent:]

Spartacus
09-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Siri steps to a spot from which she can attack a tentacle or two without blocking Twig's shot and takes a swing:

[10d20+8=18 to hit, 4 damage. Two ones on the damage dice. Eww.]

Chaotic Void
09-21-2014, 09:56 PM
[Can I use Escape Artist to try and get free?]

Teallaura
09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
[Sure.]

Chaotic Void
09-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Escape Artist: 15 + 9 = 24.

Teallaura
09-22-2014, 09:47 AM
[Waiting on Twig.]

One Bad Pig
09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Twig moves 20 feet toward the bridge, and sends an arrow towards the tentacle holding Gade.
[6+16=22; damage=3+8=11]

[I presume there's a negative modifier for being in the second range increment, but I can't find it. Adjust accordingly. :brood:]

Teallaura
09-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Gades manages to squirm free as Siri and Twig pump arrows into the tentacle. Like its predecessors it begins to withdraw but is still reaching around. There are two more close by, all grasping as Gades.

[Three dodges assuming you're planning on vacating the premises under your own power. If not, they'll help you! :grin:]

More tentacles are coming up now, especially where Gades is. Whether it's warmth or movement, something is definitely attracting them.

Actions?

Spartacus
09-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Gades manages to squirm free as Siri and Twig pump arrows into the tentacle. Like its predecessors it begins to withdraw but is still reaching around. There are two more close by, all grasping as Gades.

[Three dodges assuming you're planning on vacating the premises under your own power. If not, they'll help you! :grin:]

More tentacles are coming up now, especially where Gades is. Whether it's warmth or movement, something is definitely attracting them.

Actions?

[I don't have any arrows. I've been using my spiked chain.]

Teallaura
09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
[I don't have any arrows. I've been using my spiked chain.]
[:doh: I knew that.]

Correction:

Siri is really surprised when her spiked chain turns into an arrow and... just kidding...

Siri hits the tentacle nearest her. It is underwhelmed. Instead of retreating as others have done, it begins to grope toward Siri.

Spartacus
09-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Siri takes another swing, followed by a 5-foot step back.

[2d20+8=10
7 damage.]

One Bad Pig
09-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Twig aims at another tentacle groping for Gades and moves 20 ft. closer.

[8+16=24; damage=8+8=16]

Chaotic Void
09-22-2014, 10:36 PM
[Tumble roll Results: 21, 24, and 25.]

Gades attempts to finish his trek across the bridge.

Teallaura
09-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Siri pummels the tentacle until it begins to back down. Twig puts an arrow solidly into yet another tentacle. With some interesting acrobatics and a good bit of dumb luck, Gades makes it to the other side of the bridge - minus his equipment, party and horse.

Tentacles keep coming up and groping around with no obvious signs of tiring. Several of the tentacles that have re-emerged have arrows still in them.

Actions?

Chaotic Void
09-23-2014, 10:00 AM
[I still have my Sling, though, right?]

Spartacus
09-23-2014, 10:03 AM
"I'm guessing that this isn't normally here?" Siri shouts to the goats.

Teallaura
09-23-2014, 10:23 AM
[Yes. :yes:]

The biggest answers, "No, never seen that thing before! Just Timmy but he's just a regular troll."

Chaotic Void
09-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Gades loads his sling and chucks a bullet at a nearby tentacle

[Power Attack: 8 + 9 - 5 = 12. Damage = 1 + 3 + 5 = 9]

One Bad Pig
09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Twig moves 20 feet closer (which should put him about 50 ft. from this end of the bridge) and shoots another tentacle:
[20+16=36; 7+16=23 to confirm. Damage=4+8+5+8+7+8=40]

Teallaura
09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
[HEY! That's not nice! :glare:]

Twig makes a really deep hole in a poor, unprotected tentacle which promptly withdraws. You think you might have heard it whimper [Okay, that was just me... :sad:]

[EDIT: Roll percentile for me. This is an old trick for 'it doesn't have a real roll but I don't want to arbitrarily decide something - I'd rather give them a chance.' You want to roll high.]

One Bad Pig
09-23-2014, 11:58 AM
[HEY! That's not nice! :glare:]

Twig makes a really deep hole in a poor, unprotected tentacle which promptly withdraws. You think you might have heard it whimper [Okay, that was just me... :sad:]
[Twig is quite willing to stop shooting if the tentacles make nice and withdraw. :deal:]

Teallaura
09-23-2014, 12:00 PM
[:tongue: Roll percentile for me, you vicious archer, you...]

Spartacus
09-23-2014, 12:10 PM
"How would we all feel," Siri says as she looks toward the unconscious sphinx, "about fishing with live bait?"

Chaotic Void
09-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Gades smirks a little, "I certainly wouldn't object." He yells over the bridge

Spartacus
09-23-2014, 12:14 PM
"Yeah, good thing you're in a position to help," Siri shouts back

One Bad Pig
09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
[39] Filler.

Teallaura
09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
[:brood: I said 'roll high', didn't I? Didn't you mention that to your dice?

:sigh: It still hurt my poor baby tentacle, so be happy with that, I guess...]

Spartacus
09-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Siri looks at Twig: "What about you? Do you want to go fishing?"

Spartacus
09-23-2014, 01:29 PM
If the answer is in the affirmative, Siri approaches the sphinx and gives it a Cure Minor Wounds from her magic item before taking a 5-foot step back and waiting for the beast to come to.

One Bad Pig
09-23-2014, 01:42 PM
[Blame it on the virtual dice I had to use. Didn't bring a d10 to work with me.]

"Fishing? What exactly do you have in mind?" [Let's not wake the sphinx up until we decide what to do.]

Spartacus
09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
"Have the sphinx help us pull it up toward the shore: if we can't pull it all the way up, at least we'll get its tentacles more exposed. Either that, or toss it into the river and hope it distracts the creature down there long enough for us to cross."

One Bad Pig
09-23-2014, 03:14 PM
"Whatever it is, it's much larger than we are. I'm afraid we'd end up being the ones pulled. And it has so many tentacles that tossing the sphinx in probably wouldn't fully occupy it. If we keep on stinging it, it might decide that to allow us passage anyway."

One Bad Pig
09-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Twig looses another arrow at a tentacle:

[18+16=34; damage=5+8=13]

Teallaura
09-23-2014, 09:16 PM
[So, what's the plan?]

More damage, more retreating, more new tentacles - same old, same old...

Chaotic Void
09-24-2014, 09:21 AM
[I say we chuck the Sphinx down there. :noid:]

Spartacus
09-24-2014, 10:02 AM
"Turning it into a pincushion doesn't seem to be working very well, but we can try it your way a while longer."

Siri looks at the goats: "Keep an eye on the sphinx for us."

[aaaaalright. Next move is another (yay 10 ft range) melee attack against the closest tentacle
23 to hit, 5 damage]

Teallaura
09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
[I say we chuck the Sphinx down there. :noid:]


[Why don't you run back over there and do it? :innocent:]

Chaotic Void
09-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Gades takes another bullet to a tentacle

[Power Attack. To hit: 8 + 9 - 5 = 12. Damage = 2 + 3 + 5.]

One Bad Pig
09-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Twig stumbles while shooting his next arrow.

[crit fail :sigh:]

Teallaura
09-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Siri and Gades do more damage to the tentacles. Twig damages himself. The goats watch the sphinx. The tentacles don't seem to care.

The middle goat yells to Siri, "Hey, it's waking up!"

Spartacus
09-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Siri attacks one more tentacle before heading back toward the Sphinx.

[12 to hit, 9 damage]

Teallaura
09-25-2014, 12:30 PM
[:poke:]

One Bad Pig
09-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Twig recovers and launches another arrow:
[10+16=26; damage=5+8=13]

He takes a quick peek at the sphinx, but stays where he is for now.

[That sphinx has an amazing constitution to be stirring already. :noid:]

Teallaura
09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
[Waking up is mostly 'beginning to moan/make noise' - and it is a sphinx, after all...]

Chaotic Void
09-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Gades Hurls another Bullet towards a tentacle (Power Attack. 15 - 5 = 10 to hit, 7 + 5 = 12 Damage.)

Teallaura
09-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Y'all hit tentacles, they retreat then return. Nothing changes.

You are NOT making progress and it's painfully obvious as the tentacles keep coming back up. No new ones seem to be appearing and quite a few have arrows stuck in them or scars from the wounds Siri and Gades have inflicted. There seem to be about forty-five tentacles in all, most huge although a few on the edges are smaller.

[Y'all gonna keep shooting it until the sphinx wakes up? ]

One Bad Pig
09-26-2014, 10:24 AM
[Are those scars as in healed wounds? Anyway, the sphinx is a bit tied up at the moment (so we're in a position to give it a good thump on the noggin to send it back to sleep if that seems advisable).]

Teallaura
09-26-2014, 11:57 AM
[:yes: You don't see any open wounds except as they are created - you big meanies! :grin:

Sphinxy isn't going anywhere even once she wakes up.]

Teallaura
09-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Actions?

Spartacus
09-29-2014, 09:24 AM
[besides "wish I had a slashing weapon"?]

Siri goes back toward the sphinx and crouches down a few feet in front of its face (out of bite range), waiting for it to regain consciousness.

Chaotic Void
09-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Seeing the futility of his actions, Gades hangs back and chugs another CMW Potion (Heals for 15 Damage)

One Bad Pig
09-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Twig joins the others by the sphinx.

Teallaura
09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Time passes slowly. The goats are nibbling on anything in reach that looks vaguely green. The grass is already low so they don't care for it. The sphinx moans occasionally but take its time waking up. The tentacles remain active for about thirty minutes before they all slowly slip back into the water.

There's some excitement when the sphinx finally wakes up. It struggles futilely to free itself for a bit then finally turns to Twig and Siri, "Well, what do you want?"

Actions?

Spartacus
09-29-2014, 02:02 PM
"I have a riddle for you. How did the adventurers and the goats cross the tentacle-infested river?"

Teallaura
09-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Glancing over its shoulder, it replies, "One either very lucky or very stupid one."

Spartacus
09-29-2014, 09:10 PM
"Now, now, if you don't answer the riddle properly, you'll get eaten. Those are the rules, right?"

Teallaura
09-29-2014, 09:12 PM
"Go right ahead. I'll die of boredom before those dull little teeth manage to scratch my hide. How did that fool get over there, anyway?"

Spartacus
09-29-2014, 09:29 PM
"Go right ahead. I'll die of boredom before those dull little teeth manage to scratch my hide. How did that fool get over there, anyway?"

"Same way I could, if I wanted to, but then I'd be leaving these poor goats over here all alone and hungry, just like the monster in the river I'm thinking of feeding you to."

Teallaura
09-29-2014, 09:43 PM
"Well, if Timmy couldn't kill the thing and I couldn't, how exactly did you think the goats would get across, anyway? Timmy went to get his old man to see if he could kill that thing. Do you have any idea how bad that thing is for business? Tourists come to see Timmy and EBG duke it out - not to see them both get yanked under by whatever that thing is."

Spartacus
09-29-2014, 10:00 PM
At this, Siri rolls her eyes. "Well, why didn't you just say 'sorry, the bridge is closed due to tentacle infestation' instead of picking a fight with people who could take you down in ten seconds?"

Teallaura
09-29-2014, 10:05 PM
"Cause the story doesn't go like that, now does it?!" the Sphinx growls, "Things have to be right, don't they? A sphinx has to ask riddles, a troll has to fight goats and we're supposed to eat people on the road no matter how bad they taste!"

Chaotic Void
09-29-2014, 10:14 PM
"Go right ahead. I'll die of boredom before those dull little teeth manage to scratch my hide. How did that fool get over there, anyway?"

"I HEARD THAT!" Gades shouts from over the bridge.

One Bad Pig
09-30-2014, 07:57 AM
"Go right ahead. I'll die of boredom before those dull little teeth manage to scratch my hide. How did that fool get over there, anyway?"
"Who says we'd eat you? Though feeding you to the tentacles before dashing across is decidedly a short-term solution."

Teallaura
09-30-2014, 10:23 AM
"Who says we'd eat you? Though feeding you to the tentacles before dashing across is decidedly a short-term solution."

"My grandmother was a mermaid - that was why Timmy asked me to help in the first place. I can breathe underwater and that thing takes a week to ingest anything. Bet these ropes rot sufficiently before then. That, and Timmy should be back any day now. You're not really good at this intimidation thing, are you? I'm a fairy tale villain - nasty ends are part of the contract. So either get on with it or get lost. You're no use, anyway."

Spartacus
09-30-2014, 10:46 AM
"My grandmother was a mermaid - that was why Timmy asked me to help in the first place. I can breathe underwater and that thing takes a week to ingest anything. Bet these ropes rot sufficiently before then. That, and Timmy should be back any day now. You're not really good at this intimidation thing, are you? I'm a fairy tale villain - nasty ends are part of the contract. So either get on with it or get lost. You're no use, anyway."

"So what you're saying is, we can toss you in there and not even feel guilty about killing you? I'm liking this plan more and more every second."

One Bad Pig
09-30-2014, 11:28 AM
"My grandmother was a mermaid - that was why Timmy asked me to help in the first place. I can breathe underwater and that thing takes a week to ingest anything. Bet these ropes rot sufficiently before then. That, and Timmy should be back any day now. You're not really good at this intimidation thing, are you? I'm a fairy tale villain - nasty ends are part of the contract. So either get on with it or get lost. You're no use, anyway."
What's Timmy got to do with it? He couldn't deal with it either. And I'm sure even fairy tale villains would rather not spend a week underwater tangling with another villain. How have you tried to get rid of it so far?

Teallaura
09-30-2014, 11:46 AM
"Aren't you listening? Timmy went to get his old man - the giant that lives at the top of the beanstalk. He should be big enough to pull that thing up by the roots. I tried clawing it to bits but it just grew everything back. Heck, I hit the base of one and it grew back two! Whatever that thing got into, it made it grow too big to just tear out a few tentacles and destroy the orb like a normal tentacali..."

One Bad Pig
09-30-2014, 12:49 PM
"Oh, that giant. That sounds like a good plan."

[Did we need to go over this bridge?]

Teallaura
09-30-2014, 01:05 PM
[Yep, unless you want to add a few days to your journey going around. I'm sure the Princess won't mind... much...]

One Bad Pig
09-30-2014, 07:24 PM
[How wide is the bridge, and what time of day is it?]

Teallaura
09-30-2014, 09:17 PM
[:hehe:

Thirty yards for the bridge. Ten yards wide. The river is about 25 yards wide.]

[^ See above.

Yeah, I had to double check myself...]

One Bad Pig
09-30-2014, 10:00 PM
[We've got to get the horses across, don't we? :sigh:]

Twig says, "The bridge isn't all that long. I think if we get the horses up to a gallop, we have a good chance of getting across before the lurker can get many tentacles up there. Gades might try disturbing the water 40-ish yards upstream before we start."

Teallaura
09-30-2014, 10:16 PM
[We've got to get the horses across, don't we? :sigh:]

Twig says, "The bridge isn't all that long. I think if we get the horses up to a gallop, we have a good chance of getting across before the lurker can get many tentacles up there. Gades might try disturbing the water 40-ish yards upstream before we start."
"Hey. Mister! What about us? We're hungry!" the youngest goat pleads.

One Bad Pig
10-01-2014, 07:46 AM
[Look, I know this is a fairy tale where sphinxes are descended from mermaids, but the idea that there's nothing a goat would eat on this side of the river is a little much. :shifty:]

"You could try sneaking across the bridge before we do. We could tie cloths around your hooves so you wouldn't walk so loud."

Teallaura
10-01-2014, 08:15 AM
[Goats are browsers, not grazers. You're on the pasture side - they want the nice leaves on the woodland side. :teeth:]

"But how do we get home then?" the little goat asks, turning his big brown eyes up at you.

One Bad Pig
10-01-2014, 08:45 AM
"The same way you get across the first time? Timmy's dad should be along shortly to render a more permanent solution."

[Or the DM could give us an opponent that, y'know, we could actually do something about. :ahem:]

Teallaura
10-01-2014, 09:04 AM
[You do have options other than shoot the thing, you know... :grin:

Siri, roll under that knowledge thing...]

Spartacus
10-01-2014, 01:43 PM
[6d20+8=14]

Teallaura
10-01-2014, 07:38 PM
[Tentacali! You remember that thing now. It's a rare creature your master assured you that you could forget all about because no one ever encounters them and they're really easy to kill as long as you're not third level or below. All the tentacles come from a central orb rooted at the bottom of a stream or creek. Usually found in running water you never see them in rivers because if they are there they are too small to reach anything at the surface. Remembering the huge tentacles you saw earlier it's little wonder you didn't think of it - this thing is WAY too big. On the bright side, they are solitary so the one at the bridge is probably the only one.

Probably. :grin:]

Spartacus
10-01-2014, 07:58 PM
["easy to kill"? :huh: ]

Teallaura
10-01-2014, 08:03 PM
[:yes: The normal ones are tiny in comparison. At the largest, the tentacles won't be longer than ten feet - and that would be exceptional. Normally the tentacles are five feet or less.]

Teallaura
10-02-2014, 07:57 PM
[:noid:]

Spartacus
10-02-2014, 09:37 PM
[None of us has anything like blasting magic, and I have no other idea of what to do except to go back to the bit about Gossamer Gulch being in the direction of your heart's desire, which needn't be across this silly bridge. Unless...]

Siri snaps her fingers. "Will you hold on to that thought for just few rounds? There's something I'd like to try."

[I'm gonna try stabbing a tentacle with the cursed spindle. What should I be rolling, here?]

Teallaura
10-03-2014, 07:27 AM
[You can't - they are all back under the water. You do know that just because you can't cross the bridge doesn't mean you can't cross the river, right? The tentacles aren't of infinite length - and OBP is correct, the goats won't starve. Cry maybe, but not starve.]

One Bad Pig
10-03-2014, 07:56 AM
[I'm sure we can coax the tentacles back out of the river. :hehe: Can we easily get into and out of the river with horses, and is the river slow enough that we can safely swim across it?

If anyone of third level can usually dispatch these things, I don't think it requires blasting magic. I'm assuming the body is more vulnerable to slashing/piercing attacks than the tentacles; I'm just not sure how we could safely get into position to test that.]

Should we try dashing across the bridge (which would take less than a round on horseback), or shall we swim the horses across downstream?

Teallaura
10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
[Yes, both you and the horses can swim the river - it's very calm here. The tentacles took several rounds to fill the bridge the last time.]

Teallaura
10-05-2014, 05:56 PM
[:poke:]

Spartacus
10-05-2014, 06:04 PM
[why do we need to cross the river, again?]

Teallaura
10-05-2014, 06:11 PM
[To get to the other side. :smug:

Okay, okay, to go rescue the Princess - you're on the road to Gossamer Gulch...]

Spartacus
10-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Gossamer Gulch is a day's walk away - in what direction, you don't know and it doesn't matter. As long as it's the destination of your heart, that's where you'll end up.

[why do we have horses, and why are we on this road?]

One Bad Pig
10-06-2014, 07:19 AM
[why do we have horses, and why are we on this road?]
[Because thus saith the DM. Our hearts said that we needed to go thisaway. :shrug:]

"If you don't have a preference, I think I'll just dash across the bridge; I don't feel like getting wet. Are you coming with me?"

Twig takes Gades' horse on a lead and prepares to charge across.

Teallaura
10-06-2014, 09:08 AM
[The horses can conveniently cease to exist if you guys would rather walk... :lolo:]

Spartacus
10-10-2014, 10:20 AM
"... alright, fine."

Siri follows twig's lead.

Teallaura
10-10-2014, 10:23 AM
The goats decide to follow - hunger being stronger than common sense.

[So, what do you do with your new pet? And give me three d20 rolls each one you start across.]

Spartacus
10-10-2014, 10:28 AM
[the sphinx can stay tied up and at 1 hp until someone rescues it. And the goats can be as stupid as they like.]

One Bad Pig
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Twig cuts the sphinx free enough so that it can finish the job with some effort right before he dashes across.

[Having trouble parsing your request, but . . . 18, 18, 2. :uhoh:]

Spartacus
10-10-2014, 11:25 AM
[20, 9, 6]

Teallaura
10-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Galloping across, the intrepid pair, followed by their temporary goat minions, make good time and have a seemingly easy run across...

Right up until Twig's horse stumbles.

[if you don't have a special skill for staying on a stumbling horse, roll under Dex.]

Siri's horse also stumbles in nearly the same spot but recovers quickly.

[Same thing but you don't have to worry - unless you roll a 1... :grin:]

Spartacus
10-10-2014, 11:35 AM
[15 without bonuses, 17, I think, with my DEX bonus.]

Teallaura
10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Siri recovers easily...