Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is misapplication of a science evidence against it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is misapplication of a science evidence against it?

There have been several threads recently dealing with the putative inhumane application of Theory of Evolution, or more particularly "Darwinism" (variation, adaptation, natural selection).

It's been claimed (right here in the good ol' TWeb Natural Science forum) that the ideology of Darwinism led to the eugenics movement, and its fruition in the Nazi racial purges.

1) Does the misapplication of a scientific theory count as evidence against it?

2) Have there been other scientific explanations of natural phenomena supported by evidence and the testing of hypotheses that have been attacked as invalid scientifically due to their putative misapplications?

This will make possibly an interesting discussion on the historical interaction between the scientific study of nature and the entrenched cultural (religious, political) practices with which it has bumped heads.

Geocentrism perhaps?

K54

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    There have been several threads recently dealing with the putative inhumane application of Theory of Evolution, or more particularly "Darwinism" (variation, adaptation, natural selection).

It's been claimed (right here in the good ol' TWeb Natural Science forum) that the ideology of Darwinism led to the eugenics movement, and its fruition in the Nazi racial purges.

2) Have there been other scientific explanations of natural phenomena supported by evidence and the testing of hypotheses that have been attacked as invalid scientifically due to their putative misapplications?

This will make possibly an interesting discussion on the historical interaction between the scientific study of nature and the entrenched cultural (religious, political) practices with which it has bumped heads.

Geocentrism perhaps?

K54
    I do often wonder how some people can claim to be "Godly", or "Bible believers", or "guided by God" on the one hand, but be so persistent at misrepresenting ideas on the other hand.

It's a very selective belief about the Bible being displayed when folk behave like that. And either God cannot be trusted or these folk's claims and assertions are untrustworthy.

Often, creationism seems to be a new sect within Christianity having a new creed in which salvation depends on rejecting an ancient earth and evolution, and a new Satan, Charles Darwin, whose ideas are the cause of all the earth's major ills.
    Last edited by rwatts; 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

This topic makes me wonder whether in the mind of YECs that "Darwinism" is the scientific explanation for Original Sin in some kind of reverse proleptic sense.

Misrepresentation of facts and outright intellectual dishonesty don't bode well for the future of (conservative, evangelical, fundamentalist -- not sure what's the best adjective) Christianity.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
        I do often wonder how some people can claim to be "Godly", or "Bible believers", or "guided by God" on the one hand, but be so persistent at misrepresenting ideas on the other hand.

It's a very selective belief about the Bible being displayed when folk behave like that. And either God cannot be trusted or these folk's claims and assertions are untrustworthy.

Often, creationism seems to be a new sect within Christianity having a new creed in which salvation depends on rejecting an ancient earth and evolution, and a new Satan, Charles Darwin, whose ideas are the cause of all the earth's major ills.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          There was nothing the slighest bit ironic about rwatt's post.

Care to contribute constructively?

K54

Comment

What is ironical about my post C123? You made the suggestion, but merely offered a picture of a bomb explosion. A bomb reminds me of the (mis)application of Newton's theories to kill and maim hundreds of millions of people. Creationists often write that Newton is the preeminent creation scientist.

Comment

K54
              Indeed.

Comment

K54
                He complains about misrepresentation of others, and then does it himself. Then again, you wouldn't get it since you've been doing the same thing.

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                What is ironical about my post C123? You made the suggestion, but merely offered a picture of a bomb explosion. A bomb reminds me of the (mis)application of Newton's theories to kill and maim hundreds of millions of people. Creationists often write that Newton is the preeminent creation scientist.

Read the above response to the who started this thread. Although, I suppose hypocritical is more apt than ironic. In fact, this whole thread is starting to make me sick with the hypocrisy, I'm out.

Comment

K54
                  no
                  To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

He complains about misrepresentation of others, and then does it himself. Then again, you wouldn't get it since you've been doing the same thing.

Read the above response to the who started this thread. Although, I suppose hypocritical is more apt than ironic. In fact, this whole thread is starting to make me sick with the hypocrisy, I'm out.
                    I don't see any misrepresentation whatsoever.

Care to elaborate?

And why am I a troll? Please explain that.

Cutting too close to your ideological nerve?

K54

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                      no
                      Thanks.

BTW, your signature quoting Roy makes manifest that you don't understand scientific method.

K54

Comment

How was I misrepresenting anyone C123?

So far, nothing but insinuation and assertion from you.

Can you demonstrate my so called misrepresentation and thereby demonstrate my hypocrisy?

Comment

Nothing from you C123? No demonstration or explanation to support your assertion and innuendo? At least Jorge offers long, colourful rants.

Klaus54's proposition is entirely reasonable. People used Darwin's theory to do harm to other people. Is that evidence against Darwin's theory?

If you think it is, then consider that nazis used Newton's theory to do harm to innocent women and children. Is that likewise evidence against Newtons theory?

Comment

Thanks.

BTW, your signature quoting Roy makes manifest that you don't understand scientific method.

K54
                            when I finally do commit a "wisecrack" (a word you applied a post or 2 of mine) you take it serious.

as a matter of fact, ...what Roy pointed out, is in one of my books I cited on the first page of that thread, on p 17 of Nessa Carey's THE EPIGENETICS REVOLUTION.

I know, but I don't care enough to go to the trouble of being meticulous every time.
                            sorry if what is important to you is not important to me.

But its a good sig, a good reminder for "DARWINISTS"

and its a tribute to Roy.

what good would it do to cite Nessa when every body here knows Roy.
                            Last edited by jordanriver; 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM.
                            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Thanks.

K54
                              you're welcome.

if you see anybody doing that, you need to let somebody know.

Comment