PDA

View Full Version : Fire ant hell sunburn itch

Bill the Cat
09-01-2014, 05:54 PM
So, I went to North Myrtle Beach on Saturday, and got a sunburn. I'm used to them, as a pale Caucasian, and if I stay out for more than an hour, I get cooked, even with SPF 2 Billion. But the kids wanted to go, so Dad had to be the chaperone due to Mrs. the Cat's back implant. Well, I was itching a bit last night, and it got slightly worse on the drive home. But just a few hours ago, I started itching so bad. To quote the person who I found a possible remedy said "This itch is unlike ANYTHING ELSE. It makes me want to rip my skin off using rusty razors, to put it lightly". I took cold showers, aloe, cocoa butter, oatmeal paste, and anything else I could find. But, I discovered this possible remedy...

For those out there who have never experienced this sensation, count your blessings. It is truly a horrific itch. Cooling the burn, moisturizing it and all general sunburn remedies just seem to aggravate it even more. It's a deep itch, which hits in intense bursts and it literally feels like you have fire ants crawling under your skin & itching only seems to piss them off further. It sends the sufferer into a demonic state of helplessness as they struggle to cope with the itch which prevails through all numbing, cooling and moisturizing remedies.

I know it sounds weird, but a BOILING HOT SHOWER was the only thing that worked! At first I was terrified it would make it worse, especially since I'd spent hours trying to take the heat out of my skin which so many sunburn treatments are designed to do. But I was past desperate. HELLO? I was contemplating drugging myself and going to hospital.

I VERY hesitantly got in the shower and turned up the heat. The suggestion said to have the shower as hot as you can possibly stand. At first it hurt, but usually by the time sunburn starts to itch, the skin is already healed and hot water won't cause any further damage. I stood there, tears streaming down my face as I turned up the heat. Within moments, the itch stopped. I turned up the hot water as high as I could stand, and stayed in there for at least 15 minutes.

I very gently patted myself dry with a towel, doing everything I could to avoid further aggravation. THE ITCH HAD GONE. I quickly took 2 strong pain killers and went to bed straight away, hoping I'd fall asleep before the itch had a chance to return.

I woke the next morning with a worrying tingle that singled fire ant hell itch was returning. I ran to the bathroom and had another hot shower. Again, it worked. For hours. I had hot showers every 4 or so hours for about a day & by then, I'd begun to peel & the itch returned to 'normal' sunburn itch.

So, off to the sauna shower I go. Will let you all know if it works.

Bill the Cat
09-01-2014, 06:15 PM
The itch is now a very dull twitch in my worst burned areas, but the shower was tough to take, I have to admit. Mrs. the Cat actually cracked the door and asked if I was ok... :lol:

Teallaura
09-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Owww....

rogue06
09-01-2014, 06:19 PM
:pray:

I fell asleep on my stomach by a pool many years ago and got a horrible sunburn (being largely German-Scandinavian I'm definitely fair skinned). It didn't itch much but burned. An absolutely miserable three days.

ManwŰ S˙limo
09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
So you're saying it worked?

Cow Poke
09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
I generally get a bad burn at the beginning of Summer (which in Texas is 2 days after Valentine's Day) then I brown up like a Mexican til Winter (which in Texas is about 3 weeks after Thanksgiving).

mossrose
09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
STOP getting sunburned, people!

As one pale Caucasian who has had issues with pre-cancerous sun damage, I am begging you to stop getting sunburned!

Don't go to tanning booths! Don't lay in the sun! Use sunscreen and clothes to cover up and for goodness sake wear a hat or use an umbrella!

:mossrose:

By the way. I expected to see fire ants in this thread.

:noid:

And good old Noxema always worked best for me. If you can still get it.

Bill the Cat
09-01-2014, 07:00 PM
So you're saying it worked?

So far, the fire ant feeling hasn't returned. The itch is still persistent, but tolerable. I expect to have to get in the shower again in a few hours. I would have taken a longer one, but my son had just taken his shower and there wasn't a lot of hot water left...

DesertBerean
09-01-2014, 07:09 PM
My first thought that fact that a burn keeps burning for a while. So a hot shower...I dunno...wouldn't that cook the nerve endings into oblivion? Hence the lack of the itching sensation. .. not sure that's a good thing....

Cow Poke
09-01-2014, 07:13 PM
STOBy the way. I expected to see fire ants in this thread.

Marshall, Texas

Bill the Cat
09-01-2014, 07:19 PM
My first thought that fact that a burn keeps burning for a while. So a hot shower...I dunno...wouldn't that cook the nerve endings into oblivion? Hence the lack of the itching sensation. .. not sure that's a good thing....

Don't know. All I know is I have never felt anything like that. It was the most unbearable thing I have ever felt. And for now, I seem to be relatively ok.

mossrose
09-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Marshall, Texas

Yeah!

Cow Poke
09-01-2014, 07:23 PM
And for now, I seem to be relatively ok.

I wish for you more than ok-ness and more than just for now. :yes:

rogue06
09-01-2014, 07:48 PM
STOP getting sunburned, people!

As one pale Caucasian who has had issues with pre-cancerous sun damage, I am begging you to stop getting sunburned!
You make it sound like we do it on purpose.

rogue06
09-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Marshall, Texas

I'll refrain from retelling the story about unknowingly stepping in a fire ant mound as I got out of my car to make a sales call and having to strip my pants off in the middle of the street -- in front of the prospective clients -- when I noticed that they had swarmed up my pants to knee level.

Oh. I guess I just did. Well at least I didn't get bit once and made the sale!

Teallaura
09-01-2014, 07:54 PM
You make it sound like we do it on purpose.Consider who she is talking to...

Cow Poke
09-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I'll refrain from retelling the story about unknowingly stepping in a fire ant mound as I got out of my car to make a sales call and having to strip my pants off in the middle of the street -- in front of the prospective clients -- when I noticed that they had swarmed up my pants to knee level.

Oh. I guess I just did. Well at least I didn't get bit once and made the sale!

One of our good friends did that, but she was smart!!!! She just reached up her skirt, pulled her pantyhose down, and ridded herself of the fire ants in one fell swoop. Of course, she was awfully embarrassed later, but said "it seemed like the thing to do at the time".

Why didn't YOU try that?

Teallaura
09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
One of our good friends did that, but she was smart!!!! She just reached up her skirt, pulled her pantyhose down, and ridded herself of the fire ants in one fell swoop. Of course, she was awfully embarrassed later, but said "it seemed like the thing to do at the time".

Why didn't YOU try that?

He still uses a garter.

mossrose
09-01-2014, 08:04 PM
You make it sound like we do it on purpose.

I know what you mean.

Everytime I fall down, somebody says to me, 'Stop falling down!".

And I say, "yeah, like I do it on purpose."

But, you CAN prevent sunburns!

DesertBerean
09-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Don't know. All I know is I have never felt anything like that. It was the most unbearable thing I have ever felt. And for now, I seem to be relatively ok.
...and aren't you diabetic? Or is that Sparko?

DesertBerean
09-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I know what you mean.

LOL...when I got sunburned in Colorado, I got sympathy. Here, not much at all except when I got 2nd degree burns on my back.

mossrose
09-01-2014, 08:19 PM
LOL...when I got sunburned in Colorado, I got sympathy. Here, not much at all except when I got 2nd degree burns on my back.

:hug:

DON'T do that again!

rogue06
09-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I know what you mean.

Not everybody lives in a region where the sun barely makes it over the horizon for half the year.

Around here folks get sunburned through their clothes. And you can't wear anything heavy in 90░ heat with 90% humidity unless you want a heat stroke. In fact I see clothes advertising their SPF level!

DesertBerean
09-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Not everybody lives in a region where the sun barely makes it over the horizon for half the year.

Around here folks get sunburned through their clothes. And you can't wear anything heavy in 90░ heat with 90% humidity unless you want a heat stroke. In fact I see clothes advertising their SPF level!
In CLOTHES? Seriously? (Insert long suspicious gaze)

mossrose
09-01-2014, 08:34 PM

That's a good idea! Clothes with SPF!

In the good old days, the women in the south used parasols to keep the sun off them. Brilliant!

I use mine every time I go for a walk with Mr. mossy. Sometimes it gets used to keep the rain off, but it is mostly for shade.

rogue06
09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Yup. I first saw it in shirts at Kohl's at the start of summer.

Sun protective clothing is clothing specifically designed for sun protection and is produced from a fabric rated for its level of ultraviolet (UV) protection. A novel weave structure and denier (related to thread count per inch) may produce sun protective properties. In addition, some textiles and fabrics employed in the use of sun protective clothing may be pre-treated with UV inhibiting ingredients during manufacture to enhance their UV blocking capacity.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_protective_clothing)

Here is an ad for UPF 50+ clothes (http://www.coolibar.com/home.jsp?s_kwcid=adwordskt&gclid=Cj0KEQjwspCgBRCiwOjBxeCcm-kBEiQAooz6t2Tv4a172mMqtfqQSJHNeBMEE4umCN138PnEcL5O EtsaAjPG8P8HAQ) (is that different from SPF?)

DesertBerean
09-01-2014, 09:53 PM
:thumb:

Raphael
09-01-2014, 10:04 PM

Happens a lot here as well. People burn very quickly even through clothing in NZ (that pesky hole in the Ozone layer).

In summer schools don't let kids play outside without decent hats and we have to send sun block in with them to school.

DesertBerean
09-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Happens a lot here as well. People burn very quickly even through clothing in NZ (that pesky hole in the Ozone layer).

In summer schools don't let kids play outside without decent hats and we have to send sun block in with them to school. I was referring to Rogue's statement about sunblock in clothes. I hadn't heard of that and I live in a major sunblock - required region. :nsm:

Raphael
09-02-2014, 01:23 AM
I was referring to Rogue's statement about sunblock in clothes. I hadn't heard of that and I live in a major sunblock - required region. :nsm:
So was I. All our swimming gear has an spf rating

Cerebrum123
09-02-2014, 06:18 AM

Hopefully you get better than that soon. :yes:

Bill the Cat
09-02-2014, 06:29 AM
...and aren't you diabetic? Or is that Sparko?

Both of us are. He's had it longer than me though.

Catholicity
09-02-2014, 06:36 AM
for sunburns i always use aloe and a fan cold relieves itch. Also the aloe should have benzocaine or lidocaine in it for severe burns. that REALLY kills the itch.

Bill the Cat
09-02-2014, 06:46 AM
for sunburns i always use aloe and a fan cold relieves itch. Also the aloe should have benzocaine in it for severe burns. that REALLY kills the itch.

I tried some of that, but it only made the itch it worse. Took a shower this morning, and I think the soap exacerbated it some, because I was itching pretty bad. So I hopped back in, cranked up the heat, and stood there for 5 minutes. Still feel lingering itch, but it seems to be where I have started peeling.

mossrose
09-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Throw a handful of oatmeal in the bath water.

Bill the Cat
09-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Throw a handful of oatmeal in the bath water.

We did that last night. It soothed while I was in the tub, but the second I got out, the fire ants returned.

mossrose
09-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Don't get burned again!

Bill the Cat
09-02-2014, 07:27 AM

Don't get burned again!

Me and Mr. sun have had our last long date... :yes:

mossrose
09-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Good!

Because the damage is cumulative. And every bad burn adds to the skin damage risk!

Teallaura
09-02-2014, 07:52 AM
for sunburns i always use aloe and a fan cold relieves itch. Also the aloe should have benzocaine or lidocaine in it for severe burns. that REALLY kills the itch.

My doctor told me a number of years ago that anything with 'caine' in the name was likely to inflame the injury. It works initially but then makes things much worse.

Cow Poke
09-02-2014, 08:06 AM
My worst itches --- and mine generally come from being in cold dry climates where I'm used to 120% humidity --- is the old standby Gold Bond. Particularly, my shins and breastbone areas would itch like crazy when I "dry out", and Gold Bond is the only thing I've found (or the Walmart equivalent) that works.

mossrose
09-02-2014, 09:32 AM
I like Gold Bond, too!

Cow Poke
09-02-2014, 09:35 AM
I like Gold Bond, too!

yeah!

QuantaFille
09-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I've had sunburns through my shirt before (in Texas), but didn't know that clothes had SPF ratings now.

I do know this itch, though. I had a 2nd degree burn once from being in the sun for 2 hours without sunblock. My mother popped vitamin E capsules and rubbed that on, among other things I don't recall. I was something like 8 years old when it happened. Then when I was 19, my family spent the day at the beach and we all slathered sunblock all over our arms, shoulders, faces... and at the end of the day, we realised we hadn't put any on our legs and feet and we were all pretty badly burnt. We couldn't put socks and shoes on so we went to Walmart the next day and everyone bought flip-flops which we wore everywhere until our skin healed. That still did not compare to that 2nd degree burn I had when I was 8, though, not by a long shot. That was the worst.

DesertBerean
09-02-2014, 12:04 PM
So was I. All our swimming gear has an spf rating Geeeeezzz...I need to get with it...

Jedidiah
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
I love the sun. I sit in the shade and look out at it through my shades.

shunyadragon
09-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Soy sauce (not the low salt version), and possibly mixed with mustard is a good immediate treatment of burns and sunburn. It reduces the scalding and tissue injury from burns.

mossrose
09-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Is it the salt in the sauce that does the job?

Interesting!

One Bad Pig
09-16-2014, 07:52 AM
So, I went to North Myrtle Beach on Saturday, and got a sunburn.
I just missed you! I was there the next day (and the next couple).

Cow Poke
09-16-2014, 08:40 AM
I love the sun. I sit in the shade and look out at it through my shades.

But you don't see it that often, do you? :huh:

One Bad Pig
09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
But you don't see it that often, do you? :huh:
In the summertime, he sees more of it than anyone else here.

Cow Poke
09-16-2014, 10:26 AM
In the summertime, he sees more of it than anyone else here.

Well, yeah, there's that... so I wonder how many hours of sunlight he sees annually compared to what I see from Texas. :idea:

shunyadragon
09-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Is it the salt in the sauce that does the job?

Interesting!

The salt is part of healing because when you are burned the smaller blood vessels are damaged limiting circulation to the skin. Also soy and mustard have healing properties.

If it is a hopeless case, the soy sauce and mustard make good ingredients for a basting cooking sauce for the grill. Add ground hot peppers, vinegar, garlic and lemon juice.

Bill the Cat
09-16-2014, 10:46 AM
The salt is part of healing because when you are burned the smaller blood vessels are damaged limiting circulation to the skin. Also soy and mustard have healing properties.

If it is a hopeless case, the soy sauce and mustard make good ingredients for a basting cooking sauce for the grill. Add ground hot peppers, vinegar, garlic and lemon juice.

Are you suggesting we grill someone with a really bad sunburn??? :shocked:

shunyadragon
09-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Put'em out of his misery!

Raphael
09-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Put'em out of his misery!
Yep, take 'em outback and shoot 'em

Christianbookworm
09-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Do you smell bacon?

myth
09-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear about the sunburn, Bill. I've had that same sunburn itch once in my life -- and I wouldn't care to repeat it. Wish I would I have known about this remedy...I suffered for quite some time.

On a side note, I was in North Myrtle this summer as well. I'm not a huge beach fan, but it wasn't too bad. Particularly enjoyed the food up in Calabash. :lol:

Catholicity
09-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the sunburn, Bill. I've had that same sunburn itch once in my life -- and I wouldn't care to repeat it. Wish I would I have known about this remedy...I suffered for quite some time.

On a side note, I was in North Myrtle this summer as well. I'm not a huge beach fan, but it wasn't too bad. Particularly enjoyed the food up in Calabash. :lol:
Don't make me hungry.....
my family goes to N. Myrtle once a year for a week. And Calabash is well, Calabash, fresh cooked fried and no one holds a candle to it. Just don't forget to feed the leftovers to the Birds on the Docks..... (oops thats only if you want to be pooped on by a seagull swarm)

Teallaura
09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
my ankle hurts.

One Bad Pig
09-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Don't make me hungry.....
my family goes to N. Myrtle once a year for a week. And Calabash is well, Calabash, fresh cooked fried and no one holds a candle to it.
So does my sister! She was just there over Labor Day.

Cerebrum123
09-16-2015, 09:23 AM
my ankle hurts.

Still praying. :pray:

Teallaura
09-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks, LS, Cere.

Sparko
09-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Benadryl helped with the itching when I got a wasp sting a couple of months agol

Cow Poke
09-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Benadryl helped with the itching when I got a wasp sting a couple of months agol

Me too. In retrospect, however, I wish I would have just stayed out of the way of the wasp.