How do you pronounce "jaguar"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pronounce "jaguar"?

Just curious as my wife and I pronounce it completely differently. I say jag-wire; she says jag-wahr.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Usually I say jag-wire. If, however, I've been marathoning Top Gear on BBC America, I absorb the British "jag-u-er"". for a while. Along with a few other bits and bobs of the Queen's English.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

I have never understood why some people say "jag-wire." What part of the spelling suggests an "-eye" sound? "Jag-wahr" has always sounded like the obvious pronunciation.

But then again, I also have no clue why some people pronounce "bag tag" as "beg teg." Some Midwestern thing, I guess?
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by moreta View Post
        Usually I say jag-wire. If, however, I've been marathoning Top Gear on BBC America, I absorb the British "jag-u-er"". for a while. Along with a few other bits and bobs of the Queen's English.
        Yeah, that's how I've heard the Brits pronounce the name of their plane.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-06-2014, 07:48 AM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I say Jag-whar, but then I say "wire" more like "whar" too. :-)

Comment

I love the way the Brits say it
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This is funny. I once had a conversation about a 'Yaguwa' in Dutch with a guy who applied his own Dutch pronunciation on top of the British English pronunciation. It was several minutes before I could figure out what car he was talking about. He kept saying it over and over again, louder and louder, like I was a deaf idiot.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

El hah-gwhar.

Actual Spanish pronunciation.

I tend to leave the "el" off.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  El hah-gwhar.

Actual Spanish pronunciation.

I tend to leave the "el" off.

I thought in Canuckistan y'all had four animal names: "moose," "seal,"[1] "bear" and "not moose, seal or bear."

1. Also sometimes known as "Club It!"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

In Canada, they say "Jagwhar, eh?", but they spell it Jaguououour

(they have have a surplus of vowels and are determined to use them all up.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        I love the way the Brits say it
                        I love the way the Brits say almost anything, but then I'm an Anglophile and an accent junkie.
                        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by moreta View Post
                          I love the way the Brits say almost anything, but then I'm an Anglophile and an accent junkie.
                          I wish with all my heart that I could speak with a Scots accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            In Canada, they say "Jagwhar, eh?", but they spell it Jaguououour

(they have have a surplus of vowels and are determined to use them all up.)
                            They found a bunch of vowels real cheap at a garage sale.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My middle school was the Jaguars, and I remember everybody else saying it like I do. But I mainly just wanted to make sure that I'm not hallucinating. I agree with SP, there's no apparent reason why it should be pronounced that way.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment