Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cutting the Cable --- or, um... Satellite!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting the Cable --- or, um... Satellite!!!

I'm in the process of getting rid of DirecTV. I went to Walmart and bought a cheap digital TV antenna, and put it in the attic, and connected it to my living room TV. So far, without even trying to tune anything, I'm getting 42 FREE TV channels, including local news, which is mostly what I watch.

I'll lose Fox News, but I just get mad when I watch it, so I haven't been watching it much.

Also using ROKU because it lets me watch old movies.

I can get rid of the "special" DirecTV remote control, and just use the original remote that came with the TV. (Since my kinds have all moved away)

I'm liking this!!!!

I just got tired for paying for "hundreds of channels" I never watch.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Good start.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Good start.
      I knew you would say that.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've got a subscription to Netflix.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

A good source to find internet TV is:

http://www.canistream.it/ (free and pay)

also if you have Amazon Prime, you have access to a ton of free content, as well as Hulu (the free site, not the hulu+ pay service

Comment

oh and there is a software program called "Playlater" that will actually record streaming shows for later viewing. and a companion program called "playon" that consolodates a lot of internet channels into one location for you to view.

http://www.playon.tv/playon

http://www.playlater.tv/

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                I've got a subscription to Netflix.
                Yeah, and Roku lets you use your neflix account so it's all on one remote! And I have Amazon Prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, and Roku lets you use your neflix account so it's all on one remote! And I have Amazon Prime.
                  Never heard of it.

Comment

Cath and I don't have cable, either. My step-daughter checks out children's movies from the library to watch. The only thing I really miss is baseball games but I just listen to the radio broadcasts, often while I'm doing other things so it's probably good for my productivity as busy as I am.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Cath and I don't have cable, either. My step-daughter checks out children's movies from the library to watch. The only thing I really miss is baseball games but I just listen to the radio broadcasts, often while I'm doing other things so it's probably good for my productivity as busy as I am.
                      But at least Catholicity is still able to watch most Notre Dame football games on NBC, I hope, right? 7-0 against Michigan at the end of the 1st quarter. Woo hoo!
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I haven't watched anything other than football on TV for years. I may end up buying an outdoor antenna because the local CBS signal is too weak for my indoor antenna to pick up.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Reception continues to be lousy out here. Unless one has a five story antenna, sat or cable are our best options. I dumped cable years ago.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            But at least Catholicity is still able to watch most Notre Dame football games on NBC, I hope, right? 7-0 against Michigan at the end of the 1st quarter. Woo hoo!
                            Correction: Notre Dame 14-0 over Michigan currently. Woo hoo!!
                            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              Correction: Notre Dame 14-0 over Michigan currently. Woo hoo!!
                              I told her about your previous post. She said, "Catholicity doesn't watch football."
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment