PDA

View Full Version : Vertical gardening

Truthseeker
09-10-2014, 12:57 PM
How is Garden Fresh Farms able to grow on one acre of land enough plants to fill a 100-acre conventional farm, plus raise fish? And there are advantages. Protection from bad weather. Shorter shipping distances (saving fuel and fresher food). Also, more people can grow more of their own food.

Posts that explain or describe techniques would be welcome.

Sparko
09-10-2014, 01:21 PM
How is Garden Fresh Farms able to grow on one acre of land enough plants to fill a 100-acre conventional farm, plus raise fish? And there are advantages. Protection from bad weather. Shorter shipping distances (saving fuel and fresher food). Also, more people can grow more of their own food.

Obviously they use GMO techniques to combine plants and fish into one super creature.

klaus54
09-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I suspect the Trilateral Commission, the Rockerfeller Family, and the Bilderbergers are behind this.

K54

Jedidiah
09-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Posts that explain or describe techniques would be welcome.What are you referring to?

rogue06
09-10-2014, 07:42 PM

This is another place where a link to the source of your information would be welcome.

Raphael
09-10-2014, 07:55 PM
these kinda things: http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor/how-to-plant-a-vertical-garden#slide-1

shunyadragon
09-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Soylent Green

shunyadragon
09-10-2014, 08:05 PM

I am familiar with the techniques in general. There are a few farms in my region that use similar techniques, but not as intensely as this farm. Example: Hydroponics is used for some crops and that water is used for raising fish in circulating tanks. Everything is recycled and reused in this system. An effort is made to conserve the use of all water and nutrients through reuse and recycling.

Truthseeker
09-11-2014, 03:00 PM
(localharvest.org has been scanned safe by my "safe-web" searcher)

Here's what localharvest.org has on Garden Fresh Farms http://www.localharvest.org/garden-fresh-farms-M51743

Truthseeker
09-11-2014, 03:00 PM
I am familiar with the techniques in general. There are a few farms in my region that use similar techniques, but not as intensely as this farm. Example: Hydroponics is used for some crops and that water is used for raising fish in circulating tanks. Everything is recycled and reused in this system. An effort is made to conserve the use of all water and nutrients through reuse and recycling.Something on Soy Green would be appreciated.

Raphael
09-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Something on Soy Green would be appreciated.You mean Soylent Green, that Shunya mentioned?

soylent green is people.

Truthseeker
09-11-2014, 08:29 PM
You mean Soylent Green, that Shunya mentioned?

soylent green is people.Yes, I was jesting. I noticed that the name starts with "soy."

Jorge
09-12-2014, 04:28 AM

Interesting ... looking into it ... thanks.

Jorge

shunyadragon
09-12-2014, 05:38 AM
You mean Soylent Green, that Shunya mentioned?

soylent green is people.

It was intended as 'tongue in cheek' humor. It is from the seventies future fiction movie.

None the less, this management system does work, but requires intensive management, and infrastructure costs are high, and disease problems need careful management. There are ways to incorporate some aspects of this system into less costly gardening systems, like vertical wall gardens with drip irrigation on wire fence with inexpensive hoop house designs.

Jorge
09-12-2014, 07:42 AM

I sent them the following email .......... let's see what comes back ........ :popcorn:

Hello Peter Kordell,

My name is Jorge ... I have long been interested in this technology.

... When I last did a thorough analysis of hydroponics and aquaponics (roughly ten (10) years ago), my bottom line indicated that unless it was conducted in a sufficiently big operation (in other words, not just produce for a few houses or even a few dozen houses) it would not be economically feasible, that is, the cost of the product was prohibitively high.

Technology changes and things improve. Is my conclusion from a decade ago no longer valid?

Please send me some information to allow me to make an updated determination on this.

Thank you and continued success.

Jorge

Truthseeker
09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Comparison should be made to organic food (e.g., no gm).

klaus54
09-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Vertical gardening?

That's a difficult position.

It's MUCH easier if one kneels.

K54

Teallaura
09-13-2014, 04:24 PM

We have tested our systems, proved sustainability, developed value added products and forged customers with nationwide demand. Systems can be Aquaponic or Hydroponic with worldwide application. Systems can also be an add-on revenue channel for traditional farming.

Source (http://gardenfreshfarms.com/)

Aquaponic is basically hydroponic with fish - it's a more holistic approach. Fish provide poop to feed plants and are themselves harvested as food.

There is nothing simple about a hydro or aqua ponic system. Both have to be constantly monitored for nutrient levels, ph, and anything else that can adversely affect plants and/or fish. Computers can do a lot of the heavy lifting but not all. Both are expensive start ups and are high maintenance which is why neither has been thus far very viable commercially. I personally expect they will eventually come into their own, and the urban model is a likely candidate. Whether this is an example of a fully successful system, time will tell.