Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Radish Magazine turns its eye toward atheism as a movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radish Magazine turns its eye toward atheism as a movement

And it is a doozy, of which I'll pull only the last quote:

Originally posted by Frederich Karl von Moser
    My short and candid avowal is this: all enlightenment that is not grounded in and supported by religion, all enlightenment that does not grow out of the dependence of the created on its Creator and on the goodness and care of the Creator for his human creations, all enlightenment that draws back from the duties of love, reverence, gratitude, and obedience to His will, His commandments, and the institutions of His great world government, all enlightenment that leaves man to his own willfulness, vanity, and passions and inspires him with Lucifer’s pride to see himself as his sole, independent ruler and to make his own arbitrary natural law — all such enlightenment is not only the way to destruction, immorality, and depravity but also to the dissolution and ruin of all civil society, and to a war of the human race within itself, that begins with philosophy and ends with scalping and cannibalism.

Every enlightenment — theological, philosophical, and political — is suspect which, to say the least, does not go hand in hand with the temporal and eternal happiness of men. Any religious and political enlightenment that takes from man what he requires for comfort, light, support, and peace in the current state of education of this earthly life — or that wishes to give him more than he can use, employ, and manage according to his powers of intellect and understanding — is deception, fraud, fanaticism [Schwärmerei], treachery against man. It is surely not the action of a reasonable and righteous man and is just as evil and dangerous as superstition, unbelief, and despotism.
    […]
    Each century has its own wisdom and foolishness, its own truths and errors. One begins sometimes with the sale of a great truth and ends up with an even greater error. Often the converse also occurs: one learns to walk by falling and despite errors and guesses eventually finds the right way. So may it also happen with the pet ideas which clever and foolish humanity currently peddles on the great French national market, and which will be palmed off and pressed on their worshipers and blind adherents as philosophical-political paper money.
    Mass violence has a way of concentrating the mind on important things. The rest of the article is about how all the nicer, objective, and more sensible-er atheists, like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Michael Shermer are getting ousted and outmaneuvered by PZ Myers and the Social Justice brigade.

Naturally, the aim of the article is to show how the latter was an inevitable result of these moderates not taking heed of the wisdom of that particular German.

I don't see how Harris or Dawkins are nicer than Poz Myers. They're getting ousted because there are only a handful of right wing atheists to begin with and most of them are not really inclined to wage anti-Christian crusades like Dawkins and Harris are.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I would not consider Frederich Karl von Moser as quoted in the Radish Magazine as an objective unbiased source concerning these issues. Actually more then a bit dated. Sounds more like a campaign speech for a Holy Crusade rant against atheists. Moser is an 18th century proponent of enlightened Theocracy.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-30-2014, 12:46 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I would not consider Frederich Karl von Moser as quoted in the Radish Magazine as an objective unbiased source concerning these issues. Actually more then a bit dated. Sounds more like a campaign speech for a Holy Crusade rant against atheists. Moser is an 18th century proponent of enlightened Theocracy.
        You don't consider anyone who disagrees with you to be an "objective unbiased source" which reveals your bias. You set an impossibly high bar for others, yet you don't seem to realize this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          You don't consider anyone who disagrees with you to be an "objective unbiased source" which reveals your bias. You set an impossibly high bar for others, yet you don't seem to realize this.
          Huh?!?!?!?
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Huh?!?!?!?
            Here I'll say it slowly and use bold type. No one is an "objective unbiased source". That includes you, and those that agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Here I'll say it slowly and use bold type. No one is an "objective unbiased source". That includes you, and those that agree with you.
              Amen!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Amen!
                We have the button for that back now.

Comment

Is the purpose here to have an atheist bashing thread based on an 18th century source who supports Theocracy.

Frank

Comment

What's the point of the "article"? 99.99% of it is other people's words. It's like a high school student trying to pad out their paper. Is there any original thought? What is the meaning of the thread?

Comment

Any religious and political enlightenment that takes from man what he requires for comfort, light, support, and peace in the current state of education of this earthly life

If you buy into atheism that easily, maybe you were kind of a dumb Christian to begin with.

— or that wishes to give him more than he can use, employ, and manage according to his powers of intellect and understanding
                      That's actually a graceful critique of Christian theology (or theology in general), which seeks to "educate" believers about concepts that many of its less sophisticated adherents can't possibly grasp, apply to their lives, or succinctly defend. Examples aplenty.

— is deception, fraud, fanaticism [Schwärmerei], treachery against man.
                      I'd hardly call healthy skepticism "treachery." That extreme atheism is so alluring seems more the fault of clergy who've kept Christianity rigid and boring.

Comment