Announcement

Collapse

Glory Seed Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

These daily devotionals are brought to you by Gary Piper, a writer with our Sister Site, Natural Spirit Ministries. TheologyWeb encourages you to visit and support their site.... they have many informative articles which can be discussed right here. If you enjoy Gary Piper's devotionals, please send him an encouraging note or post. We are very appreciative of our partnership with Natural Spirit Ministries and look forward to many more co-ventures.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Glory Seed Devotional 10/03/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glory Seed Devotional 10/03/2014

A Glory Seed Devotional
    The Holy Spirit is not called the Comforter for nothing!

The other day a Facebook post from a dear friend began, “Depressed today. Has not been a good week.” And then the writer went on to explain the situations that blotted out the sunshine and plunging them into the dark damp cave of despair. When I checked this morning there were 32 people who through prayer joined the writer with prayers and words of encouragement. While I have not responded on Facebook I have joined them as many others have I suspect.

This morning thinking about my friend I thought about what Peter wrote. “Dear friends, don’t be surprised or shocked that you are going through testing that is like walking through fire. Be glad for the chance to suffer as Christ suffered. It will prepare you for even greater happiness when he makes his glorious return. Count it a blessing when you suffer for being a Christian. This shows that God’s glorious Spirit is with you.” (1 Peter 4:12–14, CEV)

I know with all my heart my friend believes in the power of the scriptures and their ability bring encouragement. However, experience also tells me when life turns against us the resulting discouragement can be a formidable foe with the ability to challenge our faith not necessarily in God but faith in ourselves. It’s almost like discouragement shakes it fist at Peter’s words and shouts, “SO WHAT!”

Silence is not only golden it is also powerful! I believe there are times when words are ineffective in lifting people out of the dark damp caves life drops them in. One of the most effective ways is illustrated in chapter 2 of Job. Job had found himself in the deepest, darkest cave he’d ever experienced and “For seven days and nights, (three of his friends) SAT SILENTLY ON THE GROUND BESIDE HIM, because they realized what terrible pain he was in.” (Job 2:13, CEV, emphasis mine)

I really appreciate how Eugene Peterson renders Jesus promise of leaving his peace on earth in chapter 14 of John. “I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. PEACE. I DON'T LEAVE YOU THE WAY YOU'RE USED TO BEING LEFT--FEELING ABANDONED, BEREFT. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught.” (John 14:27 MSG, emphasis mine) The Holy Spirit is the comforting, encouraging presence of Jesus and there are times when the Spirit silently warms and enlightens us against the darkness and dampness with the presence of Jesus.

To my friend and any others who these words will fall on you are not alone! The Holy Spirit accompanies you as you move through your time of testing if you will become quiet and listen to your heart beat you will experience the presence of Jesus.

Believe it! Experience it!
    Grace and PEACE,
    Gary

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    “Turn to the LORD! He can still be found. Call out to God! He is near.” (Isaiah 55:6, CEV)

Note: Should you want to go back and review this Glory Seed or if you’d like to subscribe so you can receive them in your email you can do so by clicking on this link: http://gloryseeds.wordpress.com/.

Scripture marked CEV are taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991, 1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

“Scriptures marked MSG have been taken from THE MESSAGE. Copyright 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.”

Amen Gary! True words.
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X