PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 technical preview

The Melody Maker
10-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Microsoft is making a technical preview of Windows 10 available for anyone who wants to try it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/preview

I've tried it in a virtual machine, and so far it seems to be a definite improvement over 8/8.1. Upon startup it takes you right to the desktop, and the Start menu now more closely resembles that of Windows 7 and earlier. :smile:

...But my own game The Traveller's Guide won't play music in it. It plays sound effects but no music, and raises no error messages upon said failure to play music. I must investigate... :brood:
[Quick edit: I figured it out. All it took to fix it was to restore a missing system file by copying it over from another folder. Now it's working. ^__^ ]

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 12:34 PM
What happened to Windows 9?

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
How do you get a virtual machine? Sounds cool, but am leery of downloading just anything...

The Melody Maker
10-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I heard somewhere that although Microsoft was originally going to call it Windows 9, they found that people too easily confused the name with Windows 95 & 98 -- so they skipped over 9 and went to 10. I guess it makes sense. :ahem:

I use a virtual machine manager called VirtualBox:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

I've tried a few different virtual machine managers, and have found that VirtualBox works best -- but that's only my opinion. If you do try VirtualBox with the Windows 10 preview, be sure to set up the virtual machine as a Window 8 VM; that's what I had to. Setting it up as "other Windows" caused the installer to crash right away.

If you try it, have fun. :smile:

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Does digital native count for being able to try it out?

The Melody Maker
10-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure what "digital native" means, but it looks like you have to have a Microsoft account to try the Windows 10 preview. No prerequisites necessary to download VirtualBox, though.

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure what "digital native" means, but it looks like you have to have a Microsoft account to try the Windows 10 preview. No prerequisites necessary to download VirtualBox, though.

It means that PCs have been around longer than I have been alive. Born in 1990.

Teallaura
10-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Whippersnapper...

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Whippersnapper...

:teeth:

Cow Poke
10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
hmmmmm

rogue06
10-08-2014, 02:58 PM
It means that PCs have been around longer than I have been alive. Born in 1990.
GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

And turn down that blasted racket that you young'uns call music these days.

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 03:04 PM
GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

And turn down that blasted racket that you young'uns call music these days.

I like orchestral music!!!

Teallaura
10-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Banging a pot with a wooden spoon is not the same thing as playing the timpani...

:brood:

Cow Poke
10-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Banging a pot with a wooden spoon is not the same thing as playing the timpani...

:brood:

My wife tried to get me to go to the timpani one time, but I told her I didn't have a tux.

mossrose
10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
My son used to play a timpani (and other percussive stuff).

Now he uses that stuff in his own music.

:smugmossy:

rogue06
10-08-2014, 03:43 PM
My wife tried to get me to go to the timpani one time, but I told her I didn't have a tux.
Had a girlfriend who liked to go. She kept orchestrating trips there. One time I had to leave for a few minutes to take care of some, um, roguish business, and she was quite miffed. I reassured her that I'll be Bach.

mossrose
10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Had a girlfriend who liked to go. She kept orchestrating trips there. One time I had to leave for a few minutes to take care of some, um, roguish business, and she was quite miffed. I reassured her that I'll be Bach.

I would rather go Chopin than go to the timpani.

But I always take along my Chopin Liszt.

lilpixieofterror
10-08-2014, 08:26 PM
What happened to Windows 9?

Got eaten by window's 10.

Christianbookworm
10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Virtualbox didn't like my usb. Maybe I should use a cd/dvd?

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Help??? Don't know why it doesn't like me. My laptops a year old and it's Windows 8.1!

Irate Canadian
10-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Help??? Don't know why it doesn't like me. My laptops a year old and it's Windows 8.1!

Erm, what are you doing?
Step 0: Download the image file( It should have a ending of .iso).
Step 1: Open Virtualbox!
Step 2: Click New.
Step 3: Pick a name.
Step 4: Set the Virtualbox OS to Windows 8.1/8. (Yes, I know it's windows 10, but until it gets a official release, you just use this).
Step 5: Click Next.
Step 6: If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, allocate the system 2-3 GB of RAM. Otherwise, try with one GB.
Step 6: Create a virtual hard drive with acronym VDI.
Step 7: Give the system around 10-15 GB of RAM!
Step 8: Click Next.
Step 9: Make the drive dynamically allocated.
Step 10: Press start on the virtualbox window when the Windows 10 virtual machine is selected.
Step 11: Select the ISO you downloaded from microsoft.
Step 12: Setup Windows 10.

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Erm, what are you doing?
Step 0: Download the image file( It should have a ending of .iso).
Step 1: Open Virtualbox!
Step 2: Click New.
Step 3: Pick a name.
Step 4: Set the Virtualbox OS to Windows 8.1/8. (Yes, I know it's windows 10, but until it gets a official release, you just use this).
Step 5: Click Next.
Step 6: If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, allocate the system 2-3 GB of RAM. Otherwise, try with one GB.
Step 6: Create a virtual hard drive with acronym VDI.
Step 7: Give the system around 10-15 GB of RAM!
Step 8: Click Next.
Step 9: Make the drive dynamically allocated.
Step 10: Press start on the virtualbox window when the Windows 10 virtual machine is selected.
Step 11: Select the ISO you downloaded from microsoft.
Step 12: Setup Windows 10.

I put it on a DVD. I left everything on default settings. That's what I did. So, I should start it from the file in the download folder? How? Since I already created the machine. It just doesn't have an OS yet.

Irate Canadian
10-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I put it on a DVD. I left everything on default settings. That's what I did. So, I should start it from the file in the download folder? How? Since I already created the machine. It just doesn't have an OS yet.

When you click start, it will usually ask you where it should read from and then you click the folder icon in order to select the image/iso file you downloaded. You then click the continue button.

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 09:11 AM
I'll see if it works. I haven't played around with virtualbox before.
It didn't work...

Irate Canadian
10-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Start again, trying these steps.
Run VirtualBox.
In the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, click New. The Create Virtual Machine wizard appears.
In the Name and operating system page, in the Name box, type a name for your virtual machine, for example "Win8VM".
In the Type box, click Microsoft Windows.
In the Version box, click Windows 8.1 (32-bit) or Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to match the architecture of your Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Continue.
In the Memory size page, select the amount of memory to allocate to your virtual machine (minimally, 2 GB (2048 MB); 4 GB (4096 MB) is optimal), and click Continue.
In the Hard drive page, click Create a virtual hard drive now, and click Create. The virtual machine is created, and the Create Virtual Hard Drive wizard appears.
In the Hard drive file type page, leave the VDI (VirtualBox Disk image) option selected, and click Continue.
In the Storage on physical hard drive page, click Dynamically allocated, and click Continue.
In the File location and size page, leave the virtual hard drive file name unchanged (for example, "Win10VM").
Select the size of the virtual hard drive (since this is your image's upper size limit, we recommend at least 40 GB), and click Create. The virtual hard drive is created, and the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
Associate your virtual machine with your downloaded Windows 10 .iso file: in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") selected, click Settings.
In the Settings page, click Storage.
In the Storage Tree list, click the Controller: IDE entry, and click the Add CD/DVD Device icon (the icon of a CD with a plus symbol on top of it).
In the You are about to add a new CD/DVD drive to controller IDE dialog box, click Choose disk.
Browse to and select the Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Open.
In the Storage Tree list, the Windows 10 .iso file appears under the Controller: IDE entry. Click OK. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
Start the virtual machine: with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") still selected, click Start.
Note:If a You have the Auto capture keyboard option turned on dialog box appears, make a note of which shortcut key combination is currently set to capture or uncapture the keyboard and mouse (by default, this shortcut key is Left Command), and click OK.
Note:When the keyboard and mouse are captured, only your virtual machine can interact with them. When the keyboard and mouse are uncaptured, your other apps can interact with them. Press the shortcut key to toggle between these captured and upcaptured states.
If you have questions, just go to the shoutbox.

The Melody Maker
10-09-2014, 09:59 AM
I'd like to throw something else in here that I thought of if I might. You should make sure that virtualization technology is enabled in your physical computer's BIOS settings. In many computers, it's by default disabled. If it's disabled, even if your processor has more than one core, you won't be able to use more than one in VirtualBox -- and the guest OS will run very slowly as a result. I think it takes on more than one name depending on the computer/motherboard make, but in mine it's called VT-x (or something like that).

Hopefully that helps. :smile:

Sparko
10-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Start again, trying these steps.
Run VirtualBox.
In the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, click New. The Create Virtual Machine wizard appears.
In the Name and operating system page, in the Name box, type a name for your virtual machine, for example "Win8VM".
In the Type box, click Microsoft Windows.
In the Version box, click Windows 8.1 (32-bit) or Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to match the architecture of your Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Continue.
In the Memory size page, select the amount of memory to allocate to your virtual machine (minimally, 2 GB (2048 MB); 4 GB (4096 MB) is optimal), and click Continue.
In the Hard drive page, click Create a virtual hard drive now, and click Create. The virtual machine is created, and the Create Virtual Hard Drive wizard appears.
In the Hard drive file type page, leave the VDI (VirtualBox Disk image) option selected, and click Continue.
In the Storage on physical hard drive page, click Dynamically allocated, and click Continue.
In the File location and size page, leave the virtual hard drive file name unchanged (for example, "Win10VM").
Select the size of the virtual hard drive (since this is your image's upper size limit, we recommend at least 40 GB), and click Create. The virtual hard drive is created, and the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
Associate your virtual machine with your downloaded Windows 10 .iso file: in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") selected, click Settings.
In the Settings page, click Storage.
In the Storage Tree list, click the Controller: IDE entry, and click the Add CD/DVD Device icon (the icon of a CD with a plus symbol on top of it).
In the You are about to add a new CD/DVD drive to controller IDE dialog box, click Choose disk.
Browse to and select the Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Open.
In the Storage Tree list, the Windows 10 .iso file appears under the Controller: IDE entry. Click OK. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
Start the virtual machine: with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") still selected, click Start.
Note:If a You have the Auto capture keyboard option turned on dialog box appears, make a note of which shortcut key combination is currently set to capture or uncapture the keyboard and mouse (by default, this shortcut key is Left Command), and click OK.
Note:When the keyboard and mouse are captured, only your virtual machine can interact with them. When the keyboard and mouse are uncaptured, your other apps can interact with them. Press the shortcut key to toggle between these captured and upcaptured states.
If you have questions, just go to the shoutbox.

Much easier to do it this way:

1. Take your computer outside.
2. Shoot it.

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 10:11 AM
I'd like to throw something else in here that I thought of if I might. You should make sure that virtualization technology is enabled in your physical computer's BIOS settings. In many computers, it's by default disabled. If it's disabled, even if your processor has more than one core, you won't be able to use more than one in VirtualBox -- and the guest OS will run very slowly as a result. I think it takes on more than one name depending on the computer/motherboard make, but in mine it's called VT-x (or something like that).

Hopefully that helps. :smile:
How do you get there?

Irate Canadian
10-09-2014, 10:14 AM
When your computer is starting up, you can click one of the function keys for setup. Once in the BIOS, you must enable the virtualization technologies available on your computer.

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 10:33 AM
When your computer is starting up, you can click one of the function keys for setup. Once in the BIOS, you must enable the virtualization technologies available on your computer.

I just finished doing that. Funny how user friendly the bios is once you get to it.

Irate Canadian
10-09-2014, 10:34 AM
I just finished doing that. Funny how user friendly the bios is once you get to it.

yep!

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Don't know why virtualization is disabled automatically.

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 10:45 AM
We only get to play with it until February 15? OKay.

Irate Canadian
10-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Don't know why virtualization is disabled automatically.

It's mainly due to the fact that virtualization is a advanced topic.

Cerebrum123
10-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Yup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZ1Nzv993g

Wait, that's not what you meant was it? :outtie:

Raphael
10-09-2014, 03:33 PM
What I want to know is if VMWare has stopped that crap that won't allow you to run VMWare Player on a computer that has Hyper-V enabled (which I need if I want to run an WinPho emulator in Visual Studio....but have to have the VMware player for other reasons.)

Christianbookworm
10-09-2014, 04:01 PM

:huh: I hadn't gotten around to it before, but it doesn't seem that advanced... well maybe compared to the average user...

The Melody Maker
11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Virtual machines are wonderful things, really. I use Windows 7 64-bit as my host operating system, but some of the programs I used to be able to use with older versions of Windows won't work with it because 16-bit programs won't run natively on a 64-bit OS. But since I discovered the world of virtualization, now I can still use those old programs again -- some in a Windows XP machine in VirtualBox, and some in DOS & Windows 3.1 via DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/). :smile: