Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What's feminism about, again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's feminism about, again?

http://thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/...-im-not-sorry/

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Here are some of the responses that went through my mind as I read it:

-Amy clearly has no experience whatsoever with child-rearing.
    -I hope she never gets that experience.
    -Gosh, it sure is a good thing for her that her mother didn't follow this advice. (Oh wait, did she? Maybe this is why Amy's so seemingly bitter and cynical about motherhood.)

I'm pretty sure she just turned this breed of feminism into a totally self-destroying philosophy.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Okay I read the first line and after reading essays from modern women trying to balance home and work and coming to the conclusion that both are equally difficult and valid ways to pursue life (among other conclusions relating to the idea of "balancing" them) in my women's history class, I'm vomiting at her vomit.

Women will be equal with men when we stop demanding that it be considered equally important to do housework and real work
    That isn't even a valid dichotomy. A colonial person would be really confused by this, for example.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I can't think of a single outspoken feminist that does "real work". Most women who do "real work" are too busy for this crap.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        I can't think of a single outspoken feminist that does "real work". Most women who do "real work" are too busy for this crap.
        This...is actually pretty much true.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

For the most part, I don't even find "feminism" to be a useful word anymore because it veers off in so many directions and means such radically different things to different people.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            For the most part, I don't even find "feminism" to be a useful word anymore because it veers off in so many directions and means such radically different things to different people.
            Also true, unfortunately. There have just been so many waves at this point and it's really frustrating because I will call myself a "feminist" and have to qualify that I'm anti-abortion but other "feminists" will say I'm not because I don't support abortion and ugh. The whole situation is pretty much to the point of being ludicrous.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              Also true, unfortunately. There have just been so many waves at this point and it's really frustrating because I will call myself a "feminist" and have to qualify that I'm anti-abortion but other "feminists" will say I'm not because I don't support abortion and ugh. The whole situation is pretty much to the point of being ludicrous.
              That's certainly fair. I used to have a caricatured view of the term, but I had to rethink it when I realized that one of my favorite Christian scholars (John Stackhouse) self-identifies as one yet is staunchly pro-life and has views that are not at all crazy or unreasonable. But this being the Internet, we see some very, very crazy strands of it as well.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Funny I used to have a nuanced view of them until a friend said she stopped calling herself one because other feminists would hector her about being pro-life so in large part based on that I now accurately believe the caricatured view of them is the primary one.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I wouldn't want anything to do with the term myself, but if some people want to use it to make inroads like with Feminists For Life or whatever it's called, they can have at it.

Comment

Junk article, meant to get a rise.

Aw heck...

We have baby showers ... as if it’s a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration to be able to get knocked up .... These aren’t accomplishments, they are actually super easy tasks, literally anyone can do them.
                    Hmm, I must be doing something wrong, I've yet to get knocked up...

I hear women talk about how “hard” it is to raise kids and manage a household all the time. I never hear men talk about this.
                    Yeah, because men never complain about home life either.

Doing laundry will never be as important as being a doctor or an engineer or building a business.
                    Tell that to the modern crop of metrosexuals. I'm pretty sure they consider color matching, proper washing of clothes and maintaining a clean apartment to be vastly important things.

In terms of a real rebuttle, most people would rather be at home, eating or relaxing, rather than conquering the world. Home life has pretty high value, otherwise we would not try to outdo each other on our McMansions.

Mankind has had housing and families longer than they have had doctors and bridges.
                    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Amen.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I will amen the post as well. If it helps, I have heard the term "feminazi" used about such people before. It may be a more accurate term than feminist has become nowadays, though I'm not sure if it should be used in conversation or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          http://thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/...-im-not-sorry/

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Here are some of the responses that went through my mind as I read it:

-Amy clearly has no experience whatsoever with child-rearing.
                          -I hope she never gets that experience.
                          -Gosh, it sure is a good thing for her that her mother didn't follow this advice. (Oh wait, did she? Maybe this is why Amy's so seemingly bitter and cynical about motherhood.)

I'm pretty sure she just turned this breed of feminism into a totally self-destroying philosophy.
                          Interesting because lets see:

- I took care of myself for over 5 years before I got married.
                          - I managed to earn myself a degree, without the help of a husband.
                          - I managed to move up the rank chain, without the help of a husband.

But do you know what I count as a great accomplishment then any of that stuff? Being a wife, mom, daughter, sister, and friend is more important to me then any of those professional accomplishments are. What is the fun of landing that 'dream job' if there is nobody to share it with?
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
                            I will amen the post as well. If it helps, I have heard the term "feminazi" used about such people before. It may be a more accurate term than feminist has become nowadays, though I'm not sure if it should be used in conversation or not.
                            Meh, there are some pretty far out people (the "all PIV is rape" blog post that went viral) that most feminists wouldn't identify with.

Comment

Feminism is a special program to help ugly or mean women get ahead.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment