Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Deer Repellant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Repellant

OK, I've heard lots of "home remedies" for keeping deer out of your yard, but what really works?

I've heard "go to the barber shop and sweep up the hair off the floor cause deer hate that smell".

I've heard you can plant certain flowers -- germaniums? And other "natural remedies".

Apparently, my deer have not been advised on the latest deer repeller technologies or methods, cause they keep eating Mrs. CP's flowers.

(Now, never mind the fact that she bought a bag of DEER CORN to put in the front yard several years ago so the grandkids could see deer up close and personal -- NOW she wants them to stay AWAY! Could be our deer are just really confused... "you invite me there, then you shoo me away?")

I'd like to stay with NATURAL remedies. (one of my favorites was "buy some panther (or cougar) pee, and sprinkle some around the garden)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, I've heard lots of "home remedies" for keeping deer out of your yard, but what really works?

I've heard "go to the barber shop and sweep up the hair off the floor cause deer hate that smell".

I've heard you can plant certain flowers -- germaniums? And other "natural remedies".

Apparently, my deer have not been advised on the latest deer repeller technologies or methods, cause they keep eating Mrs. CP's flowers.

(Now, never mind the fact that she bought a bag of DEER CORN to put in the front yard several years ago so the grandkids could see deer up close and personal -- NOW she wants them to stay AWAY! Could be our deer are just really confused... "you invite me there, then you shoo me away?")

I'd like to stay with NATURAL remedies. (one of my favorites was "buy some panther (or cougar) pee, and sprinkle some around the garden)
    Get the lazy mutt in the photo to do his job
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I hear the panther one works "60% of the time every time".

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        Get the lazy mutt in the photo to do his job
        He polices the BACK yard - he has about 2 acres of deer-free territory. It's the FRONT yard (open to the street and the neighborhood, woods, fields, streams, etc) that is in question.

(Jake DARES you to say "bite me!")
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He polices the BACK yard - he has about 2 acres of deer-free territory. It's the FRONT yard (open to the street and the neighborhood, woods, fields, streams, etc) that is in question.
          Fence in the front yard, problem solved.

(Jake DARES you to say "bite me!")
          Nah Jake won't bite me, I know the magic word (squirrel)

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Doesn't human urine work?

I mean, it's only the front yard, and all.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Doesn't human urine work?

I mean, it's only the front yard, and all.

Spongebob, my grandson, LOVES to pee in the yard. (we ARE out in the country, ya know) And what's even funnier is to see how quickly Jake gets "to the spot" to pee on Spongebob's pee.

Comment

Spongebob, my grandson, LOVES to pee in the yard. (we ARE out in the country, ya know) And what's even funnier is to see how quickly Jake gets "to the spot" to pee on Spongebob's pee.

Spongebob needs to spread it out a little in the front yard and maybe Jake will help out!

But that doesn't answer my sort-of-query about human urine. Does it keep critters out of the yard?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Spongebob needs to spread it out a little in the front yard and maybe Jake will help out!

But that doesn't answer my sort-of-query about human urine. Does it keep critters out of the yard?
                  Don't know, Moss, I guess I could try! (when it gets a little warmer, that is. Sissies, ya know)

Comment

Don't know, Moss, I guess I could try! (when it gets a little warmer, that is. Sissies, ya know)

Of course when it warms up. In the meantime....

Comment

Oleander grow well in your area? They're poisonous and contain digitalis components so keep kids AND animals away but deer don't like them.

Here's a link to other plants: http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Deer.html
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Oleander grow well in your area? They're poisonous and contain digitalis components so keep kids AND animals away but deer don't like them.

Here's a link to other plants: http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Deer.html
                        Yeah, forgot about that one, DB.... we don't grow them because of the horses and donkeys.... but, yeah, they grow well here!

I'll look at the other plants in the list.

Comment

Hm yes. Your livestock wouldn't care for that...

Comment

I understand that lead is a pretty good deer repellent. And you have the added bonus of venison.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              I understand that lead is a pretty good deer repellent. And you have the added bonus of venison.
                              Only if it's deer hunting season...and gotta have a license to kill.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X