PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Stories

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 08:00 AM
The other day in the ShoutBox, Punkinhead was telling about going to the cemetery at night to rescue a young lady who had gone into the cemetery and had gotten lost.
The chat turned to ghosts, and she asked me if I believed in ghosts.
I told her I believed in "something', from previous experiences, but didn't really know.

Here's my story.

We lived in a church parsonage in the early 90's for about 5 years. The driveway came in from a side street (on a corner lot) so we always came in and out the back door.

When you come in the back door, the "open" kitchen is on your right, the large living room on the left, the front door entry area directly across the room, and off to the left of the living room was a hallway that went to the master bedroom and guest room. If you went through the kitchen to the right, you'd be in the dining room, and a hallway that led to my youngest daughter's room. Jay (her nickname) was finishing high school back then, getting ready for college)

On more than a few occasions, as I came in the back door, I would THINK I saw a man standing at the entrance to the hallway at the far end of the living room - a tall thin man, kinda bent over slightly, and as soon as I saw him, he would turn and disappear down the hallway. It would be one of those things where I THOUGHT I saw him, but couldn't say for sure. It was "out of the corner of my eye", and when I looked to actually SEE him, he'd be gone. I never mentioned it to my wife or youngest daughter.

One day I got home, my daughter had been in her room, and was coming to the kitchen to greet me. I saw the man at the entrance to the hallway, but he disappeared as usual. My daughter obviously saw my reaction, subtle though I thought it was, and when I turned to hug her, she stepped back and said, quite calmly, "you saw him too". She caught me off guard, and I didn't immediately respond, but she said, "I've seen him probably a dozen times, and he always just disappears down the hallway, but he never makes you feel afraid".

Yeah, that! I never had a sense that he was "trouble", and he always seemed "shy", never any sound, never anything more than a "glimpse", and never enough "visual" to be able to say exactly what I saw. Jay (my daughter) and I compared notes, and we pretty much agreed we had been seeing the very same thing.

After we'd lived there for about three years, I met the older woman who had sold the house to the Church. She sold the house because it was a fairly large 3 bedroom home, and her husband had passed away and she was all alone. She didn't need that much house, so she moved to efficiency apartment. And, yeah, her husband had been a tall thin man, and had apparently died in the house.

That's my first ghost story. I have another.

Zymologist
11-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Interesting.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Neither of us ever mentioned this to my wife. From my perspective, I didn't want her to be scared.

Subsequently, I was at dinner with wife, Jay and her husband, and she (Jay) brought up the topic. My wife, obviously, was clueless, and claimed she never knew anything about this.

Sparko
11-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I don't believe in ghosts. I think our spirits either go to be with the Lord, or wherever he sends some after they die. I don't believe they hang around on earth.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't believe in ghosts. I think our spirits either go to be with the Lord, or wherever he sends some after they die. I don't believe they hang around on earth.

Well, yeah, me too.

ke7ejx
11-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I think a question is, if we see some sort of spectre, could it be a daemon posing as a ghost?

mossrose
11-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I believe it is demonic activity.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 11:47 AM
That's certainly a consideration, but to what intent? There was not even any sense of fear or ill will or danger...

On the OTHER hand, my OTHER story has those elements.. where a person was purposefully engaging in supernatural activity, albeit just a lowly ouija board.

ke7ejx
11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
That's certainly a consideration, but to what intent? There was not even any sense of fear or ill will or danger...

On the OTHER hand, my OTHER story has those elements.. where a person was purposefully engaging in supernatural activity, albeit just a lowly ouija board.

You had me at Ouija Board.... :eek:

Sparko
11-11-2014, 11:52 AM

What makes you think you have some sort of special spidey-sense that alerts you to danger or ill-will when it comes to something like that? It could have been a demon, or it could have been a time-traveler coming to steal your bacon.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 11:52 AM
You had me at Ouija Board.... :eek:

Personally, I think playing with that kind of stuff -- and seances -- is an INVITATION to demonic activity.

mossrose
11-11-2014, 11:53 AM

I don't know. You are a believer, and maybe the Holy Spirit within you kept you from being afraid. Maybe the spirit was sent there to test your faith. I don't know.

Way back in 1987 I worked for several months in a toy store. They sold ouija boards. I had to dust them. I prayed that while I worked there that we would never sell any. And we didn't sell any. But I still had to dust them.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 11:55 AM
What makes you think you have some sort of special spidey-sense that alerts you to danger or ill-will when it comes to something like that?

Because of other situations where there was DEFINITELY an "awareness" of evil.

mossrose
11-11-2014, 11:56 AM

Maybe it was an angel.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't know. You are a believer, and maybe the Holy Spirit within you kept you from being afraid. Maybe the spirit was sent there to test your faith. I don't know.

And, again, if Jay had not told me about this before I told her, I would have thought maybe I was imagining this, because there was never anything "solid" or something at which I had a good hard look.

Way back in 1987 I worked for several months in a toy store. They sold ouija boards. I had to dust them. I prayed that while I worked there that we would never sell any. And we didn't sell any. But I still had to dust them.

I borrowed one from a friend once when I was a kid --- BOY my momma hit the roof and wanted "that thing" out of her house IMMEDIATELY!

mossrose
11-11-2014, 11:59 AM
And, again, if Jay had not told me about this before I told her, I would have thought maybe I was imagining this, because there was never anything "solid" or something at which I had a good hard look.

And maybe the Holy Spirit was protecting your entire household from fear.

:nsm:

Sparko
11-11-2014, 11:59 AM

Maybe it just comes and goes, this spidey-sense.

Or were you missing any bacon?

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 12:00 PM
And maybe the Holy Spirit was protecting your entire household from fear.

:nsm:

Yeah, I just don't know.... and this is all Punkinhead's fault for reminding me about this. :yes:

Darth Executor
11-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Why would a demon show up at CP's house and reinforce a belief in the supernatural in the age of unbelief?

Sparko
11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
It could have been Moroni looking for the golden plates.

mikewhitney
11-11-2014, 12:04 PM
A friend of mine ( in his testimony how he was saved) mentioned that his family (when he was growing up) got successful bets on the horse races via the ouija board. And they were able to move a table lamp as if they were moving the ouija marker. I would figure there were some sort of unclean spirits behind this.

I always was interested in ghost stories when I was young. It is a bit interesting now -- but now I would be more curious how scriptures might inform us on this.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Why would a demon show up at CP's house and reinforce a belief in the supernatural in the age of unbelief?

From what I understand of demons, they are looking to inhabit a human body, because they are essentially disembodied spirits. There wasn't any indication, as I have said, of any threat, nor was there any "hasty retreat" --- more of a "form" fading into the background.

Angels, on the other hand, are never seen to be attempting to occupy or possess a human.

Catholicity
11-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Actually I can singlehandedly second and third CP's story. I've seen several things, several times, and yes, the idea of something "being there" only in my case it was a cat that we had put down, and I just thought I'd seen her sitting under a bush (her favorite resting spot) until two years to the day after she passed. And she'd disappear as soon as I'd look again. I'm not the only family member who'd swear she was there.
My experiences with an evil entity have been FAR different.

Jedidiah
11-11-2014, 02:32 PM

I believe that this is why demonic activity is not able to be documented.

ke7ejx
11-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I just don't know.... and this is all Punkinhead's fault for reminding me about this. :yes:

You're welcome! :whistle:

Kelp(p)
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
There might be a third option. For all we know, God created spiritual beings that are neither angel nor demon and are just akin to animals or alien life forms. A lot of cultures believe in spirits that are neither harmful nor helpful to humans but just want to go about their own business, the Djinn in the Qu'ran for example (sentient beings who are neither angels nor demons, capable of accepting or rejecting Allah, and who rarely interact with humans). I'm not saying I endorse trying to contact them, of course. That's too big a risk.

--------

The closest things I've come to paranormal experiences are a lot more ambiguous. For example, once when I was in my room, I heard a guttural voice screaming my name that seemed to come from the downstairs living room and filled with a terrible, painful sense of dread that I've never really felt since. Buuuuuut, I'm notoriously bad at telling where sounds are coming from and there's an outside chance it was just my mom yelling at me to turn down my radio lol.

Likewise, at various points in my life, I've had what I like to call "microvisions." Translucent apparitions that intrude on my field of vision like floaters but are sometimes in color. Loathsome creatures with glowing eyes, a young black man only visible from the waste up floating beside the foot of my bed and then disappearing. I have no way to tell that these are not fatigue induced hallucinations, though, as I think I've experienced those as well.

Soooo, take all that with a grain of salt lol.

Cow Poke
11-11-2014, 03:57 PM
There might be a third option. For all we know, God created spiritual beings that are neither angel nor demon and are just akin to animals or alien life forms.

In all seriousness, I have kept in my mind the possibility that whatever I saw was, indeed, something other than demon or angel, but I haven't a clue what that might be.

Kelp(p)
11-11-2014, 04:29 PM
In all seriousness, I have kept in my mind the possibility that whatever I saw was, indeed, something other than demon or angel, but I haven't a clue what that might be.None of us may ever know (until the New Earth, of course).

Catholicity
11-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I've heard of that idea too. The Catholic Church has proposed that lost souls (between heaven and hell) may be the cause of such apparitions and then propositions of science has the idea that in places due to different magnetic pulls, minerals, etc, when something happens an "image" is taken and replays itself over and over and over again like a time loop.

Kelp(p)
11-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I've heard of that idea too. The Catholic Church has proposed that lost souls (between heaven and hell) may be the cause of such apparitions and then propositions of science has the idea that in places due to different magnetic pulls, minerals, etc, when something happens an "image" is taken and replays itself over and over and over again like a time loop.Well, highly controversial science.

Catholicity
11-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Well, highly controversial science.
That's true. Although, its an intriguing concept, when removing any Parapsychology and investigating claims in the realm of quantum physical ideas.