Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why Did You Originally Join Theologyweb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Did You Originally Join Theologyweb?

Just curious.
    Just enjoy discussing religion
    28.57%
    Another poster talked me into it
    8.16%
    Wanted to sow the seeds of faith
    6.12%
    Wanted to sow the seeds of skepticism
    2.04%
    I liked the fellowship
    8.16%
    Was seeking to understand other points of views
    16.33%
    Was struggling with my faith
    6.12%
    Like to antagonize Christians
    2.04%
    I'm crazy, and thought this would be a good place to talk about our Lord and Saviour, Cthulhu
    4.08%
    Other (please mention in thread)
    18.37%

For my "Other" checkbox, I initially joined TWeb because Nick linked to one of my articles on a thread, and it brought a ton of traffic to my blog. I joined up to say, "Thanks," and to try to provide a fair and rational voice for skepticism.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Thanks BP!

Comment

JP Holding made me do it.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I was seeking other points of view in eschatology specifically. Dee Dee was pretty active in Preterism at the time and I was weighing Historicism with Preterism. Opened my first thread in eschatology...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I had been more active on another site, but being far outnumbered, and surrounded by people who bought into stuff like "Christ Myth" stuff, and other nonsense(Jesus' miracles being the results of mushrooms), I got tired of trying to correct their nonsense almost single-handed. When trying to correct their stuff, like Constantine making major decisions at Nicaea, I stumbled onto Tweb. I didn't join then though, I only joined later after a mention on Tektonics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              I had been more active on another site, but being far outnumbered, and surrounded by people who bought into stuff like "Christ Myth" stuff, and other nonsense(Jesus' miracles being the results of mushrooms), I got tired of trying to correct their nonsense almost single-handed. When trying to correct their stuff, like Constantine making major decisions at Nicaea, I stumbled onto Tweb. I didn't join then though, I only joined later after a mention on Tektonics.
              If you don't mind me asking, what was the other site?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                If you don't mind me asking, what was the other site?
                I think it was something like islamwatch.com It's been a really long time since I've been over there though. It was actually a helpful learning experience. It's a site run by ex-Muslims, and for the most part, they did cite the relevant material that shows what Islam really teaches, instead of the "religion of peace" stuff you mostly hear about.

They do have some junk on there, and there were some rather graphic articles too(pictures of violent acts, and some other horrible stuff happening in Islamic communities). The subject matter was unfortunately very relevant to Islam. I don't think they moderate their comments section either.

Of course, for all I know they aren't as accurate as they used to be. They started getting more hateful towards religion in general around the time I was leaving. One of the articles was actually started because of some comments I made. It was about the NT and
                anti-Semitism.

Comment

I honestly don't remember.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh, the poll should be " I'm crazy, and..." for each one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      Oh, the poll should be " I'm crazy, and..." for each one.
                      haha. yeah, maybe.

I specifically had in mind those that eventually end up in the Padded Room section of TWeb.

If you worship dragons, think that just because you're British you're one of the Lost Tribes of Israel, think that A Course in Miracles is the bees-knees, or think that you're a Gnostic just because you say you are, then you might be crazy and worship Cthulhu.

Comment

Having thought about it a bit, I think that was when I was dealing with some Mormons in real life, and wanted to learn more about Mormonism.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because I was banned me from The Other Location ... for being a jerk.

Srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            Because I was banned me from The Other Location ... for being a jerk.

Srsly.
                            That is from whence that meme cometh?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              That is from whence that meme cometh?

That's straight from the mod thread, delivered to me by Crow, who came over with me.

Comment