Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Who was your Favorite College Professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was your Favorite College Professor

I had some professors who really tended to bum me out, most notably my US History professor. He seemed to be pretty much on auto-pilot, almost unaware of the class, just droning on with facts and figures and dates. It was a required class but I hated it. It's guys like that who come to mind when I grumble about academia. My psych professor seemed to think it was his job to embarrass and humiliate students, and was a total jerk.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I had guys like Dr. Bob Utley who not only made the subject incredibly interesting, but he was absolutely fantastic at interacting with the class. He was constantly voted "professor of the year", and other such titles by his students, and I actually REMEMBER quite a few things he taught!

While I never had him as my own professor, I was privileged to know Doctor Norman Borlaug, "the Man Who Fed the World". My wife was in charge, for a period of time, of arranging his travel, and for being such an incredibly important man (Nobel Peace Prize Laureate), he was one of the kindest and most gracious men she ever met. The Borlaug Center at Texas A&M, College Station, sends students all over the world to be involved in research helping (mainly) third world farmers learn what crops and methods are most beneficial to their particular geography, soil, climate, etc.

Who is (are) the professor(s) you remember most, and why?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Dr. Steinn Sigurdsson was adept at making a difficult subject (Astrophysics) interesting, and was rather laid-back. IIRC he said something like, "in the first two years, Astrophysics undergrads learn we know everything; in the second two years, undergrads learn we don't know anything; grad students learn why we don't know anything."

Dr. Mark Maughmer was another excellent educator who managed to impart the fundamentals of aerodynamics to me.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Dr. Mark Maughmer was another excellent educator who managed to impart the fundamentals of aerodynamics to me.
      Did he ever cover the assertion that the RF-4E (F4) Phantom was living proof that if you put enough engine on something you can even make a brick fly?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I had a lot of graduate teacher assistants in undergrad, and if I'm completely honest, the one who most stood out did because she was cute. (This was before I joined TWeb, Cath, don't worry )

The most memorable professor I had was Harry Shaffer. He was in his late 80s when I had him. He had had upwards of 20-25 voice surgeries so he could continue to teach. He was Austrian so combined with his voice issues, rather difficult to understand, but he was a university institution. Almost everybody had him for introductory economics.

He also had a unique background. He fled Europe just before the Holocaust started (he was Jewish) and ended up translating English/German for the US military. He then taught at the University of Alabama, but resigned in protest when they expelled their first black female student on specious grounds... and ended up at my school, where he taught for the next 50 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_G._Shaffer
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Did he ever cover the assertion that the RF-4E (F4) Phantom was living proof that if you put enough engine on something you can even make a brick fly?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

One of the more outstanding professors in my mind was Dr. Wooldridge, he was an elderly psychology professor, but he knew how to teach the concepts to a room full of students from many backgrounds. My other favorite was Dr. Macelreath who quite frankly taught history from one of the more unique perspectives. He was quite liberal, though never impressed his world view. His idea was for us to read about history and write from our point of view. His class was VERY challenging, but it made for very interesting debate and discussion. I was going through a difficult time with my epilepsy in his class and he accomodated it too, which helped. I passed the class with a good grade and while parts of it are hard to remember it left an impression on the way I think about events.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

When I was younger, I had a NT Professor named Dr Paul Payne. On the first day of class, professors of other classes would come in and introduce themselves to the class, basically reciting their resume, degrees, published works, accomplishments.....

Dr Payne waked in and said, "Good morning - I'm Paul Payne, and if I wasn't qualified to teach this class, I wouldn't be standing up here, so let's get started....."

That was quite refreshing! And he had GREAT sermon illustrations which I still use!

Comment

I think I remember college. And I think I had professors. More than that ??
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I think I remember college. And I think I had professors. More than that ??
                  Only if you get one of those "aha" moments.... don't strain yourself, brother!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X