Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

For-profit scientific journals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For-profit scientific journals

Unfortunately, there is no real way I can link to this article on TWeb, so I will describe the gist.

To prove a point about the corrupt nature of for-profit scientific journals, somebody submitted an article to one such journal that was seven pages of the sentence "Take me off your (censored) mailing list". The article was accepted for publication, and even told that it had received rave reviews from an in-house reviewer. (The article was not published because the authors chose not to pony up the $150 fee.)
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    To prove a point about the corrupt nature of for-profit scientific journals, somebody submitted an article to one such journal that was seven pages of the sentence "Take me off your (censored) mailing list".
    Hey! You forgot the diagrams! And it had references!

Also, the "journal" is not a "for-profit scientific journal", since it's not a journal at all. It's a scam.

Roy
    Last edited by Roy; 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The real question: Did he ever get off the "(censored) mailing list"?
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        The real question: Did he ever get off the "(censored) mailing list"?
        If he hasn't, then he'd better get off his can and get it (censored) taken care of post-haste.
        "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

All journals are 'for profit', or at least intended to be so. Publishing is a business. You're referring to 'predatory journals', which are scamming (as Roy mentioned) the open access movement within scientific publishing. Legitimate open access journals do charge authors a fee because they do not sell reprints or charge for electronic copies, hence the term open access. The predatory journals sometimes adopt names virtually identical to legitimate journals and sometimes even take over journals that are having financial difficulties. Here's an interesting article on this phenomenon:

http://ottawacitizen.com/technology/...s-to-dark-side
          Last edited by robrecht; 11-26-2014, 05:17 PM.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Unfortunately, there is no real way I can link to this article on TWeb, so I will describe the gist.

To prove a point about the corrupt nature of for-profit scientific journals, somebody submitted an article to one such journal that was seven pages of the sentence "Take me off your (censored) mailing list". The article was accepted for publication, and even told that it had received rave reviews from an in-house reviewer. (The article was not published because the authors chose not to pony up the $150 fee.)
            References??? I will beat the price and do it for $50.00
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-26-2014, 08:45 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment