PDA

View Full Version : Beards, moustaches, and whatever else.

T-Shirt Ninja
11-28-2014, 05:18 AM
For those of you who have or had facial hair. What's your experience?

Cow Poke
11-28-2014, 06:14 AM
God made some perfect faces, and others He covered up with hair. :smile:

Spartacus
11-28-2014, 06:15 AM
I grew some facial hair for no-shave November last year; I kept a goatee come December because it had grown on me (ha), then shaved it in March once I finally realized that it hadn't grown on anybody else (double ha).

... actually, the main reason I held off on shaving it all off was that I hadn't thought of a good joke to tell about it, so this all says a lot more about my sense of humor than my opinion of facial hair.

Bill the Cat
11-28-2014, 08:58 AM
I've only shaved my moustache off once in 30 years. Had the goatee since 2008

KingsGambit
11-28-2014, 10:09 AM
I tried growing a beard this last summer. After several days of not shaving, I didn't like how it looked, and neither did Cath... so that attempted ended almost before it started.

T-Shirt Ninja
11-28-2014, 10:36 AM
A lot of beards don't look that good after a few days. If you decide to try again go for several weeks before deciding whether to keep it or not.

Andius
11-28-2014, 11:24 AM
In my experience. Some folks tend to become uneasy of sorts, which I think has to do that some styles of beards tend to project a "menacing air" of sorts as some people around me commented (Some even began to say I looked an awful lot like a Drug Dealer, heheheheheheh). But on the other hand, at least in team management situations, folks tended to be a lot more responsive and surprisingly efficient, a big change when I was shaved.

If you adjust your clothing and hairstyle properly along with your beard, along with your mannerisms, I can say that the beard has the odd effect of actually augmenting a commanding presence amongst folks.

rogue06
11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I grew a moustache solely because it was just less area to shave. Since then I let it turn into a semi-goatee (I keep it very short though I let the moustache grow longer) for the very same reason.

I never said I wasn't lazy.

Apologiaphoenix
11-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Allie's wanted me to observe no-shave November. I don't care for it really, but if it gets Allie to kiss me more, I can live with that.

shunyadragon
11-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Beards, beards, bearded

Beards, beards, bearded,
From fuzzy wuzzies to long tiered and swirled.
Some whacked and hacked
Others seared, sheered and weirded.

Beards, beards, bearded,
From trimmed and thinned to long flowing locks,
Some braided, beaded and bowed,
Others bushed, whorled and curled.

Beards, beards, bearded,
Some handle barred or bull horned.
Others side burned or goat teed,
Some braided, bowed and beaded.

The Orange Dog Poet of Hillsborough, NC
Frank A. Doonan

Jedidiah
11-28-2014, 08:10 PM
I began a beard when I moved into the Alaskan bush in 1969. Living without hot water, without running water period, shaving was not worth the effort. My beard never looked like what I wanted - way too scraggly. Around 5 years later I took off all but the mustache, having moved into town and met Christ.

This was about as good as it ever got. I don't seem to find a very good shot.

What I have now grew from a dislike of shaving the underside of the mustache, and there you go.

T-Shirt Ninja
12-07-2014, 02:13 PM
I've had a few different looks. I used to sport a chin strap. Later I had a goatee on my chin that I kept relatively short (medical field reasons). Now I have a full beard about two and a half inches long and I love it. I have to do a lot more to maintain it like trimming and oiling but it's worth it.

Littlejoe
12-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I've had a moustache for most of my life. Had a goatee on and off as well as full beards. Shaved all but the moustache because of the gray. Just don't like how all that gray looks...:lol:

Jedidiah
12-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Hey, gray is good.

Proverbs 16:31

Gray hair is a crown of glory;
it is gained in a righteous life.

Adrift
12-07-2014, 04:43 PM
I've been growing out a beard and mustache since last September. Not my first beard, but the first time I've let it grown this long. I love not shaving. Hate that I get food in it when I eat, and its kinda uncomfortable to sleep on sometimes.

Not sure how long I'm planning on letting it go. There's a local guy who sells beard oil and wax. I've tried the beard oil, and its pretty cool. Has a nice smell, and makes it a lot softer. The oil gets absorbed into the beard pretty quick, so its not greasy or anything. I like using it. Reminds me of Psalm 133:2 It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down on the collar of his robe. I don't use enough to run down my robe though. :smile:

Bill the Cat
12-08-2014, 06:00 AM
... Hate that I get food in it when I eat

Which is why I usually keep my goatee trimmed close. Plus, mine likes to curl toward my mouth, so it gets in my mouth when I eat. Irritating to no end!!

One Bad Pig
12-08-2014, 06:10 AM
I grew a mustache as soon as I was allowed after joining the Navy because I didn't like shaving my upper lip. I added a goatee after I left the service, then shaved it off when I graduated from college. I let it grow back a couple years later, and have had one since. I decided I didn't like having a mustache any more a couple years ago, and shaved it off.

Adrift
12-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Which is why I usually keep my goatee trimmed close. Plus, mine likes to curl toward my mouth, so it gets in my mouth when I eat. Irritating to no end!!

I'm trying to grow the mustache long enough so that I can wax it away from my mouth altogether. Old timey like.

Adrift
12-08-2014, 06:24 AM
I grew a mustache as soon as I was allowed after joining the Navy because I didn't like shaving my upper lip. I added a goatee after I left the service, then shaved it off when I graduated from college. I let it grow back a couple years later, and have had one since. I decided I didn't like having a mustache any more a couple years ago, and shaved it off.

I think its interesting how the goatee became so popular. I don't remember anyone in the 80s ever wearing a goatee. It didn't seem to become popular until the 90s Grunge thing became big. I assumed the Grunge Seattle bands were doing it as a sort of homage to 1950s Beatniks. Going for that Maynard G Krebs look and all that. Somehow the Grunge look cross-pollinated into other music cultures, so's that by the mid to late 90s even country music pop stars were wearing the goatee. It went from being pretty much non-existent to like the facial hair style in the US in the span of a decade.

I'm beginning to see something like that with beards now too. When I started growing mine out earlier this fall, I didn't realize how popular it had become. But once I did, I noticed that a lot of people are growing them now. I can't help but think that part of that has to do with that reality show Duck Dynasty (I've never seen it, but hear that all the people in it have beards). And there's another reality show, I think its called Garage Monkey, or something, and one of the guys there has a really long beard too (which I think is pretty epic looking). Kind of weird how these things go in phases. Wondering if long sideburns and the mullet will come back into fashion anytime soon.

Bill the Cat
12-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Wondering if long sideburns and the mullet will come back into fashion anytime soon.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :lol:

KingsGambit
12-08-2014, 07:18 AM
I have long sideburns. I can't pull off a mullet because I started balding at 16.

Adrift
12-08-2014, 07:19 AM
I have long sideburns. I can't pull off a mullet because I started balding at 16.

That never stopped this guy

KingsGambit
12-08-2014, 07:20 AM
That never stopped this guy

That should be illegal.

Bill the Cat
12-08-2014, 07:25 AM
That should be illegal.

Lemme tell you something brother... When the 24 inch pythons wrap around you, it'll be over. So What cha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you...?

Sparko
12-08-2014, 07:36 AM
I have had a mustache since I was in my 20's. Mostly to look older since I have always had a baby face. I was carded (even with my stache) into my 30's. I have had a goatee on and off. But I have had one for the last 8 years or so other than shaving it off once in a while, then deciding to grow it right back.

Starting to go gray now.

Jedidiah
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I think its interesting how the goatee became so popular. I don't remember anyone in the 80s ever wearing a goatee. It didn't seem to become popular until the 90s Grunge thing became big. I assumed the Grunge Seattle bands were doing it as a sort of homage to 1950s Beatniks. Going for that Maynard G Krebs look and all that. Somehow the Grunge look cross-pollinated into other music cultures, so's that by the mid to late 90s even country music pop stars were wearing the goatee. It went from being pretty much non-existent to like the facial hair style in the US in the span of a decade.

I'm beginning to see something like that with beards now too. When I started growing mine out earlier this fall, I didn't realize how popular it had become. But once I did, I noticed that a lot of people are growing them now. I can't help but think that part of that has to do with that reality show Duck Dynasty (I've never seen it, but hear that all the people in it have beards). And there's another reality show, I think its called Garage Monkey, or something, and one of the guys there has a really long beard too (which I think is pretty epic looking). Kind of weird how these things go in phases. Wondering if long sideburns and the mullet will come back into fashion anytime soon.Beards have always (at least for the last 45 years since I arrived) been common in Alaska. Probably in part harkening back to the early days, and lots (well not by outside standards) live where it is not so easy to deal with shaving.

Adrift
12-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Beards have always (at least for the last 45 years since I arrived) been common in Alaska. Probably in part harkening back to the early days, and lots (well not by outside standards) live where it is not so easy to deal with shaving.

Yeah. Seems like the Alaskan frontiersman way. Probably has a lot to do with the cold too I imagine.

Zymologist
12-08-2014, 02:04 PM
I can't grow a beard. Does that mean I'm not allowed to post in here?

But I totally would if I could. I just can't.

Adrift
12-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I can't grow a beard. Does that mean I'm not allowed to post in here?

But I totally would if I could. I just can't.

Can you grow anything? If so, maybe you could do like a beard comb over. :hehe:

Zymologist
12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Can you grow anything? If so, maybe you could do like a beard comb over. :hehe:

I can, but...no. I don't think so, no. If a man can't grow a beard, he should just accept it and move on with his life, even if it's difficult.

Sparko
12-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Beards have always (at least for the last 45 years since I arrived) been common in Alaska. Probably in part harkening back to the early days, and lots (well not by outside standards) live where it is not so easy to deal with shaving.

Plus it makes a great place to store leftovers.

Wilkowsky
12-10-2014, 11:24 AM
i think that every man should have a beard, obligatory. Some time ago I was thinking about establishing some kind of 'Bearded Men Club' on my University.

That is, when I'm going to be able to grow a proper beard myself.

Ah... dreams, dreams.

Sparko
12-10-2014, 11:26 AM
some women are pretty good at growing beards too.

Adrift
12-10-2014, 11:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

disciple100
01-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Fortunately for me, I'm pretty adept at growing a beard. So much so that, left unshaven for a couple of months makes me look like I could be my fiancÚ's dad. Yet, if I shave, I look like I'm in high school. So, I need to maintain a balance in the force, so to speak, and keep a neatly trimmed semi-jawline cut, as can be observed in my photo.

Sparko
01-13-2015, 09:29 AM
nice beard.

Bill the Cat
01-13-2015, 09:37 AM

3489 3490

disciple100
01-24-2015, 04:16 PM
nice beard.

Thanks! :D

supton
02-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Last few years I've taken to a beard for winter. I'm not sure it works at its intended purpose: to keep the face warm in winter. It does work in the laziness department though.

Only really annoying when it is cold, and blowing snow, and I get icicles.

myth
02-25-2015, 05:35 AM
I'd like to have a beard, but I can't because of work. :sad:

The only plans I have for retirement so far: grow a beard.

KingsGambit
02-25-2015, 06:38 AM
I'd like to have a beard, but I can't because of work. :sad:

The only plans I have for retirement so far: grow a beard.

Do they also prohibit mustaches?

Zymologist
02-25-2015, 07:10 AM

I'm suspicious of a mustache by itself. It has to be done right, or it tends to look kind of creepy and weird. A big walrus mustache, btw, is definitely done right.

Edit: depending on the guy wearing it, of course. Assuming I could grow a walrus mustache...it wouldn't work on me at all. :sad:

KingsGambit
02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm suspicious of a mustache by itself. It has to be done right, or it tends to look kind of creepy and weird. A big walrus mustache, btw, is definitely done right.

Edit: depending on the guy wearing it, of course. Assuming I could grow a walrus mustache...it wouldn't work on me at all. :sad:

Yeah, I agree with this. When I was a kid, I wanted a mustache-but-no-beard combo, but I think that was just because I wanted to be like my dad. I don't think everyone can pull it off.

Carrikature
02-25-2015, 01:26 PM

My dad has one like Sam Eliot (http://www.nerdcoremovement.com/sam-elliott-garret-dillahunt-join-final-season-justified/). It might need a certain personality, though (which both Sam Eliot and my dad certainly have).

ETA:

Actually, I'll just amend to say that a solo mustache depends very strongly on personality. Tom Selleck pulls his off well but it's not something most could do.

Zymologist
02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
My dad has one like Sam Eliot (http://www.nerdcoremovement.com/sam-elliott-garret-dillahunt-join-final-season-justified/). It might need a certain personality, though (which both Sam Eliot and my dad certainly have).

ETA:

Actually, I'll just amend to say that a solo mustache depends very strongly on personality. Tom Selleck pulls his off well but it's not something most could do.

They can both pull off the mustache. Also John L. Sullivan (my avatar).

myth
02-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Mustaches are ok, but they can't extend past the edges of the lips. I don't think I could pull off a mustache, though.

supton
11-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Still kicking the beard. I was starting to get tired of it, but got roped into a play this fall so it stayed. Then I got roped into another play and the beard works well there too. However there is yet another play where I think the beard might have to go. Which is just as well--it's always been red, but I'm noticing more and more white hairs of late.

I kinda pull off a beard pretty well I think. Fast receeding hairline that is in a race with an exceeding waistline. If I could just lose some weight over the winter I'd look about 20 years younger when I shave! [Last time I shaved I did get a number of comments about how much younger I looked.]

Cow Poke
11-21-2015, 06:23 PM
...Fast receeding hairline that is in a race with an exceeding waistline...

Have you reached the point where you have more hair on your face than your head?

rogue06
11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
It grew there.

supton
11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Have you reached the point where you have more hair on your face than your head?

It's very likely. Plus, I like to trim my hair short, yet let the beard grow out a bit longer.

Sparko
11-23-2015, 05:12 AM
No Shave November. (https://www.no-shave.org/)

shunyadragon
11-30-2015, 08:14 PM

My picture answers the question,

Apocalypticsights
12-17-2015, 07:21 AM

Well, I have one of those braided beards, thats died red. That is a pain for me to keep up but I like it so its worth it.

I think facial hair gives someone the excuse that they don't have to shave as much. Otherwise, its all a matter of what you want.

nico
12-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Had a beard for a short while--about 6 months growth. Shaved it for a new job. I don't miss it now that it's gone. The wife doesn't either, nor the child.

Jedidiah
12-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I think facial hair gives someone the excuse that they don't have to shave as much.

This is exactly the source of my facial hair.

rogue06
12-22-2015, 05:35 PM
This is exactly the source of my facial hair.
:yes: I blame laziness

Jedidiah
12-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Had a beard for a short while--about 6 months growth. Shaved it for a new job. I don't miss it now that it's gone. The wife doesn't either, nor the child.

When I lived in the bush I never shaved at all. After moving into town I eventually did shave. I made sure my son was with me as he had never seen me with out my scraggly facial hair. Did not want to scare him.

TheWall
10-23-2016, 08:59 PM
I am growing a mustache. I have a shaggy goatee.

NorrinRadd
10-24-2016, 10:16 AM
I've had a mustache since about halfway through high school, and a beard since early in college. I did shave it briefly at the request of my then-girlfriend. Meh.

I keep it fairly short and neat, though I am growing it a bit higher on my cheeks for the winter.

I think it would actually be easier to just shave my whole face, rather than try to keep the edges of the beard smooth and uniform, but I prefer the way I look with the beard.

Then there's this (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-attraction-doctor/201607/do-women-prefer-men-beards). *eye roll* Honestly, I'm certain it will only be a short time until we hear of "studies" on the attractiveness or lack thereof of off-center navels and moles on the right butt-cheek.

Sparko
10-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Well I tried growing a full beard but it just itched too much. I went back to a mustache and goatee. More pirate like.

Jedidiah
10-24-2016, 12:34 PM
When I moved to the Alaskan bush I grew a beard because it was too hard to shave with no running water and no electricity. After I moved into to town I did finally shave it off. It was too scraggly to please me, or be attractive. I did keep the mustache, which morphed over the years to what I have now.

Bisto
02-11-2017, 08:00 PM
I sometimes grow a beard and mustache, but since I can't grow it too much for now, I keep it trimmed not unlike Tony Stark.

I think it would actually be easier to just shave my whole face, rather than try to keep the edges of the beard smooth and uniform, but I prefer the way I look with the beard.
These are basically my thoughts about it. I actually think I shave as often with the beard as without it, because I don't really like my look with it more grown than a little.

Bisto
02-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Then there is this:

Jedidiah
02-11-2017, 10:58 PM
When I lived in the bush I kept my axe sharp enough, but I did not shave at all so . . .