Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

As Christ Loved The Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Christ Loved The Church

If any guy here is interested and knows me on Facebook, send me a message if you'd like to get in to my group. It's a private group entirely that's meant to help men love their wives as Christ loved the church. The only requirements are you be Christian and be a straight guy.

If you're married, it's for you, but if you're engaged, come on in too and learn in advance. If you're dating, do the same. If you're just single and wanting to marry, come on in as well and drink of the collective wisdom of several guys.

Again, just message me on Facebook if you want to join in.

I'm glad you brought up that verse. When I was younger that verse used to just torment me...like "how am I gonna do that!?" "Love my wife as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her..." ?? It used to just convict me. But there's another application of that verse that really helped to save my marriage.

Let's face it, not all Christian marriages are happy or even good. Half will end in divorce. Even pastors who have written books as marriage experts, have fallen into adultery themselves. This marriage thing is not always a slam dunk/easy/etc.

So a few years ago as I was being sorely tempted to leave my wife and start over fresh, I remembered that verse again "Husbands love your wives as Christ loved..." And it was like a light-bulb went off. And I am going to say this to those who are struggling, who don't have a wonderful spouse (even if they are wonderful to everyone else).

Jesus loved the church and gave Himself for her. Was she deserving? Was she so wonderful He just couldn't help Himself but to love such a nice church? Not really. Christ loved a church that is often rebellious. One that doesn't always listen to Him. One that turns a cold shoulder and gives Him the silent treatment. While we were yet enemies Christ died for us.

That fresh understanding really turned me around to simply loving my wife even though she was not that lovely to me. And the love didn't have to be gushing romance. I simply needed to be committed to her. To do her good. To take care of her even if she didn't like me at given times.

So that's one application and of course there is the application of treating her really well and working on making things better even when they are already good. Christ loves like that too. But no need to shy away from such a high calling if you find yourself unhappily married. Simply commit by God's enabling grace, to love the unlovely.

Since I repented and did that, we have stayed together and we even have fun sometimes. It's not everything we dreamed of as young people, but we can still practice love. And I think we do. Praise God.
    Last edited by GoBahnsen; 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X