Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ham's Ark Park denied $18 mil in tax rebates due to discriminatory hiring practices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham's Ark Park denied $18 mil in tax rebates due to discriminatory hiring practices.

This is great!

Everyone's favorite lying YEC charlatan Ken Ham's latest business venture, Ark Park, has been denied $18 million in tax rebates by the State of Kentucky because of Ark Park's discrimination in hiring. To recap: Ken Ham's AIG is a non-profit ministry and is not bound by hiring discrimination laws. They can and do require all employees to be verified Christians and sign an Oath of Faith. However, Ark Park is a for-profit business and as such is bound to follow equal hiring laws. Turns out that Ham was forcing the same narrow religious requirements on Ark Park hires as he does on AIG. When called on it Ham tried to circumvent the law by claiming his hires really worked for AIG and were just loaned to Ark Park. The State of Kentucky Labor Board took a look and said "nah, we don't think so". As a result Hambone just lost $18 million in tax rebates, money I'm sure he was counting on.

Kentucky Will Deny Creationists $18,000,000 in Tax Rebates Because of Their Discriminatory Hiring Practices

Get ready for the loud bawling about religious persecution from the YEC camp.

Yes, I wrote this with more than a little schadenfreude. So sue me.

Speaking as a YEC, if the park is a for profit organisation and the staff are employed by it, then I have no problem with him getting nailed on the taxes.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

The temptation to replace merit with ideology is something we probably all suffer from, though we can only see it in others. I enjoyed with the same guilty sense the description of the requirements for governing Iraq after Saddam was deposed. The ability to read or speak the language was not a requirement. Opposition to abortion was mandatory. And it turns out a good handful of those who knew the language and culture and had been there a while as translators were gay. Out they went, replaced by those who had been low level campaign workers.

Interesting that it's worth up to $18M to Ham to have nothing but card-carrying religious fundamentalists doing CAD work. Of course, he hasn't been playing with his own money on this project.

Comment

I am pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
          This is great!

Everyone's favorite lying YEC charlatan Ken Ham's latest business venture, Ark Park, has been denied $18 million in tax rebates by the State of Kentucky because of Ark Park's discrimination in hiring. To recap: Ken Ham's AIG is a non-profit ministry and is not bound by hiring discrimination laws. They can and do require all employees to be verified Christians and sign an Oath of Faith. However, Ark Park is a for-profit business and as such is bound to follow equal hiring laws. Turns out that Ham was forcing the same narrow religious requirements on Ark Park hires as he does on AIG. When called on it Ham tried to circumvent the law by claiming his hires really worked for AIG and were just loaned to Ark Park. The State of Kentucky Labor Board took a look and said "nah, we don't think so". As a result Hambone just lost $18 million in tax rebates, money I'm sure he was counting on.

Kentucky Will Deny Creationists $18,000,000 in Tax Rebates Because of Their Discriminatory Hiring Practices

Personally I would like to see his theme park get all the help it can get – there’s no better way to reinforce the ignorant foolishness of YECism than Ken Ham and all his works. Even the likes of Glen Beck and Pat Robertson realise that he makes Christianity look silly and that's saying something.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ing-the-bible/
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Ham already has his creation museum, which reinforces not only his foolishness in the eyes of half the population, but his piety and biblical insight in the eyes of the other half. There's no idiocy so idiotic that a good brainless YEC won't throw money at it.

Comment

Knew that ship would never sail.

Comment

This is great!

This (my only input to this thread) is not for Beagle Boy - he couldn't understand it if his life depended on it. This is for the others that still have hope. Sadly, there aren't many of those here on TWeb.

Regarding this Ark event, the next move of the powers that be (which is a Humanistic Establishment) is to deny tax deductible status to religious organizations in general OR to any organization that is advancing a "non-progressive" agenda. It is a form of censorship, of discrimination and of selective enforcement - favored by criminals such as the IRS.

Of course, they proceed by degrees - like the proverbial frog in boiling water. The fact that something won't stand a constitutional challenge means nothing if people cannot afford the millions for the challenge. That's the advantage of keeping the "law" expensive - it silences the people while maintaining the charade that those people are "free" and have a voice. That's why nowadays the White House is essentially up for sale - a person needs close to a billion dollars to have a shot at it. This thing with the Ark Project is just a very small blip on that ideological radar.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                  This (my only input to this thread) is not for Beagle Boy - he couldn't understand it if his life depended on it. This is for the others that still have hope. Sadly, there aren't many of those here on TWeb.

Regarding this Ark event, the next move of the powers that be (which is a Humanistic Establishment) is to deny tax deductible status to religious organizations in general OR to any organization that is advancing a "non-progressive" agenda. It is a form of censorship, of discrimination and of selective enforcement - favored by criminals such as the IRS.

Of course, they proceed by degrees - like the proverbial frog in boiling water. The fact that something won't stand a constitutional challenge means nothing if people cannot afford the millions for the challenge. That's the advantage of keeping the "law" expensive - it silences the people while maintaining the charade that those people are "free" and have a voice. That's why nowadays the White House is essentially up for sale - a person needs close to a billion dollars to have a shot at it. This thing with the Ark Project is just a very small blip on that ideological radar.

Jorge
                  Totally irrelevant post.

You missed the point (intentionally I presume), Doofus.

Originally posted by Snipped from OP
                  ...However, Ark Park is a for-profit business and as such is bound to follow equal hiring laws. ...
                  K54

Comment

The fact that something won't stand a constitutional challenge means nothing if people cannot afford the millions for the challenge.
                    It actually would withstand a Constitutional challenge, fairly easily. The Ark Encounter is not a 501(c)(3) religious organization, and is therefore not entitled to tax deductions of any sort, nor is it exempted from the Fair Hiring requirements of the Civil Rights Act.

If Ken Ham had really wanted the Ark Encounter to receive those benefits, it would have been quite simple to make it a 501(c)(3) religious organization. However, Ken Ham doesn't want the Ark Encounter to be a religious organization. He wants it to be a for-profit corporation with religious themes.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Jorge
                      I wonder if this advocate for criminal behavior has a list of other secular laws TrooChristianstm should be able to ignore?

Building codes? Heck yeah, Noah didn't need civil engineers to inspect his work for code complience, why should Ark builders now?

Traffic laws? Heck yeah, if you're Godly enough you should be able to run stop signs and drive 20 MPH over the limit.

Tax laws? We already know some YEC morons think they can ignore tax laws. Just ask Federal prisoner No. 06452-017.

Comment

I wonder if this advocate for criminal behavior has a list of other secular laws TrooChristianstm should be able to ignore?

Building codes? Heck yeah, Noah didn't need civil engineers to inspect his work for code complience, why should Ark builders now?

Traffic laws? Heck yeah, if you're Godly enough you should be able to run stop signs and drive 20 MPH over the limit.

Tax laws? We already know some YEC morons think they can ignore tax laws. Just ask Federal prisoner No. 06452-017.
                        You don't have to read all that much about how law is practiced around the world, to notice that Jorge's general approach is much more the rule than the exception. Decisions are based on what you believe, who you know, who you offended, who you paid, and so on. The law is applied wildly and deliberately unequally. It's much like the Ark Park job posting for a CAD designer - nothing there about CAD experience or ability, but plenty about religious orientation and conviction. In the Jorge world, "merit" takes on a whole new meaning. A world where an atheist cheating on his taxes is punished severely, while a Kent Hovind cheating on his taxes should simply be ignored since in Hovind's case it's not cheating. God said so.

Comment

Jorge
                          The politicians in Kentucky, "the powers that be," had in fact been bending over backwards trying to provide tax breaks and rebates to Ham and his cronies but couldn't continue to look the other way for this. I'll never understand why Ham thought it necessary for those involved in, for instance, the construction of the park had to be doctrinaire YECs. How does that affect ones ability to pound in some nails, pour concrete or put in wiring? What sort of paranoid personality requires litmus tests for such workers knowing full well that the law forbids such hiring practices (this decision didn't come out of the blue but has received a significant amount of media attention as it progressed)?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                            It actually would withstand a Constitutional challenge, fairly easily. The Ark Encounter is not a 501(c)(3) religious organization, and is therefore not entitled to tax deductions of any sort, nor is it exempted from the Fair Hiring requirements of the Civil Rights Act.

If Ken Ham had really wanted the Ark Encounter to receive those benefits, it would have been quite simple to make it a 501(c)(3) religious organization. However, Ken Ham doesn't want the Ark Encounter to be a religious organization. He wants it to be a for-profit corporation with religious themes.
                            Ham has repeatedly shown that for him it is all about the Benjamins (money). When his actions resulted in the breaking up of AnswersinGenesis (AiG) those YECs who were not among his supporters in this publicly raised concerns over "the amount of money being spent on his fellow executives and a shift away from delivering the creationist message to raising donations" -- turning AiG away from being a Christian mission into a fund-raising machine.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is great!

Ham's response: https://answersingenesis.org/ministr...ark-encounter/

Comment