https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE

Full size video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE

Kelp(p)
12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
WONDERFUL :lol:

Sparko
12-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Hey!!! I am not sure we even allow some of those words whatever they mean! :glare:

John Reece
12-12-2014, 05:07 PM
:smile:

Cow Poke
12-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Absolutely love it! :smile:

Jedidiah
12-13-2014, 12:48 AM
"And proved the Philistines were almost certainly Canadian," I think that was my favorite part. I love Gilbert and Sullivan.

Cow Poke
12-13-2014, 12:55 AM
"And proved the Philistines were almost certainly Canadian," I think that was my favorite part. I love Gilbert and Sullivan.

I had a real hard time listening that fast.

Kelp(p)
12-13-2014, 02:35 AM
Funny, though that bearded old man with the book is not technically a Biblical philologist. That's Sir James Murray, the first chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary.

From wikipedia:

By this time Murray was primarily interested in languages and etymology. Some idea of the depth and range of his linguistic erudition may be gained from a letter of application he wrote to Thomas Watts, Keeper of Printed Books at the British Museum, in which he claimed an ‘intimate acquaintance’ with Italian, French, Catalan, Spanish and Latin, and 'to a lesser degree' Portuguese, Vaudois, Provenšal & various dialects’. In addition, he was ‘tolerably familiar’ with Dutch, German and Danish. His studies of Anglo-Saxon and Mœso-Gothic had been ‘much closer’, he knew ‘a little of the Celtic’ and was at the time ‘engaged with the Slavonic, having obtained a useful knowledge of the Russian’. He had ‘sufficient knowledge of Hebrew & Syriac to read at sight the Old Testament and Peshito’ and to a lesser degree he knew Aramaic, Arabic, Coptic and Phoenician. However, he did not get the job. [Emphasis mine]

Sparko
12-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I had a real hard time listening that fast.
You have to squint your ears to hear it slower.

Xtian Rabinovich
12-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Hi Robrecht,

. . . It's interesting to imagine the motivation for someone familiar with all those terms and phrases using that knowledge in that manner. It's like Borat meets Rashi.

XR

mossrose
12-27-2014, 11:59 PM

:hrm:

Cow Poke
12-28-2014, 12:54 AM
:hrm:

yeah

Jedidiah
12-28-2014, 03:37 AM
Oh, and that John Reece ain't as bad as everyone in this thread is saying.

robrecht
12-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Hi Robrecht,

. . . It's interesting to imagine the motivation for someone familiar with all those terms and phrases using that knowledge in that manner. It's like Borat meets Rashi.

XR
I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax.

Xtian Rabinovich
01-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Hi Robrecht,

>I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax. <

While I can agree with not taking oneself too seriously, I can say that I know and use many of the words in the spoof and didn't learn them having fun or kicking back or relaxing. I learned them from taking study serious and burning the midnight oil . . . . A great philosopher (Martin Heidegger) said that using words in that way demeans the sanctify of language and dumbs down the memesphere. . . . Of course I realize that by speaking against such silliness I'm swimming against the current of current affairs and the lack of seriousness that's become the serious past-time and prime-time of the current world order.

XR

Scrawly
01-12-2015, 05:10 AM
Hi Robrecht,

>I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax. <

While I can agree with not taking oneself too seriously, I can say that I know and use many of the words in the spoof and didn't learn them having fun or kicking back or relaxing. I learned them from taking study serious and burning the midnight oil . . . . A great philosopher (Martin Heidegger) said that using words in that way demeans the sanctify of language and dumbs down the memesphere. . . . Of course I realize that by speaking against such silliness I'm swimming against the current of current affairs and the lack of seriousness that's become the serious past-time and prime-time of the current world order.

XR

Shhhh...Shhhhhh Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh :lol:

robrecht
01-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Hi Robrecht,

XRNowhere did I say that one should learn these words in any other way than your serious study. I would like to see this quote from Heidegger about dumbing down the memesphere. I suspect you are taking liberties with his words. As for demeaning the sanctity of academic discourse, I think Heidegger himself is an example of how this can be done in a very serious and real way in his enthusiastic support of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party, which, to his credit, he eventually regretted after the war.