PDA

View Full Version : Merry CHRISTmas from Texas!!!!

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 04:35 AM
OK, I'm getting really tired of the emphasis on "the Holidays" in place of "Merry Christmas".

It's not a HOLIDAY tree, it's a CHRISTMAS tree. (Yeah, call me a pagan) It's not "I'm Dreaming of a White Holiday" or "I'll be Home for Holidays".....

I just saw a Honda commercial where "Stretch Armstrong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXy39bWBUcQ)" says, "remember how pumped you were when you got me for the Holidays"? That sounds SO DUMB and "forced".

So.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS from Texas!

Paprika
12-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Happy Holy Day.

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Happy Holy Day.

And a very Merry Christmas to you, sir.

Sparko
12-16-2014, 06:22 AM
I make it a point to say "Merry Christmas" to people this time of year. Especially if they first say "Happy Holidays" to me.

If someone wished me a "Happy Chanukah" I would not be offended. So why should they be offended if I wish them a Merry Christmas? It just irks me when people are afraid to specify their religious holiday and keep it generic so as "not to offend" --- That is what offends me!

Of course, a lot of people do just think of this time of year as a "holiday" because they don't believe in anything. To them I wish "A generic day off off work with no religious connotations"

So.. Merry Christmas from Kentucky/Indiana.

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 06:27 AM
I make it a point to say "Merry Christmas" to people this time of year. Especially if they first say "Happy Holidays" to me.

If someone wished me a "Happy Chanukah" I would not be offended. So why should they be offended if I wish them a Merry Christmas? It just irks me when people are afraid to specify their religious holiday and keep it generic so as "not to offend" --- That is what offends me!

Of course, a lot of people do just think of this time of year as a "holiday" because they don't believe in anything. To them I wish "A generic day off off work with no religious connotations"

So.. Merry Christmas from Kentucky/Indiana.

When somebody (most notably a Walmart employee) says Happy Holidays to me, I very clearly say "Merry Christmas to you", and a lot of times they'll smile, and say, "yes, Merry Christmas". It's like they've been told they can't say Merry Christmas unless the customer says it first --- then they can.

Merry Christmas from Texas

Bill the Cat
12-16-2014, 06:34 AM
My best friend is Jewish and celebrates Hanukah. So I wish him the appropriate holiday. If I don't know, I use Merry Christmas. :smile:

KingsGambit
12-16-2014, 06:36 AM
I only celebrate Kwanzaa.

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 06:36 AM
My best friend is Jewish and celebrates Hanukah. So I wish him the appropriate holiday. If I don't know, I use Merry Christmas. :smile:

Yeah!

Merry Christmas from Texas, Bill.

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Yeah!

Merry Christmas from Texas, Bill.

Speaking of "bills".....

Texas actually has a Merry Christmas Law (http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/analysis/html/HB00308E.htm) to protect teachers and individuals from frivolous lawsuits if they say Merry Christmas!

So, Merry Christmas from Texas!

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 06:38 AM
I only celebrate Kwanzaa.

Well, Merry Christmas to you from Texas! :thumb:

mossrose
12-16-2014, 06:45 AM
I had a great discussion with a postal worker the other day. She said merry Christmas to the person in front of me, who basically ignored her.

The PO wasn't busy, so when I was done, before she could say anything, I said, "thank you, and merry Christmas!".

She smiled and said it to me, and I then thanked her for saying it to the other fellow as well. She commented that she is so sick of the political correctness and that we are celebrating because of Christ's birth and she intends to say it to everybody whether they respond or not.

I agreed with her and told that is what I do every year.

It was quite refreshing.

So, a very joyous Christmas to you all from mild and sunny Alberta!

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 06:52 AM
I had a great discussion with a postal worker the other day. She said merry Christmas to the person in front of me, who basically ignored her.

The PO wasn't busy, so when I was done, before she could say anything, I said, "thank you, and merry Christmas!".

She smiled and said it to me, and I then thanked her for saying it to the other fellow as well. She commented that she is so sick of the political correctness and that we are celebrating because of Christ's birth and she intends to say it to everybody whether they respond or not.

I agreed with her and told that is what I do every year.

It was quite refreshing.

So, a very joyous Christmas to you all from mild and sunny Alberta!

And a very Merry Christmas to you from Texas!

Cerebrum123
12-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Merry Christmas!

mossrose
12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
I think MelMak wishes people the olde British "Happy Christmas", and throws in an added "merry New Year".

The Melody Maker
12-16-2014, 12:25 PM
I think MelMak wishes people the olde British "Happy Christmas", and throws in an added "merry New Year".

'Appy Christmas, guv'nor. And a jolly good new year. :teeth:

Jedidiah
12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Happy Holy Day.

It is sort of funny that when people want to switch to Happy Holiday, they seem to fail to recognize that they are actually saying, as Paprika points out, Happy Holy Day.

Jedidiah
12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
When somebody (most notably a Walmart employee) says Happy Holidays to me, I very clearly say "Merry Christmas to you", and a lot of times they'll smile, and say, "yes, Merry Christmas". It's like they've been told they can't say Merry Christmas unless the customer says it first --- then they can.

Merry Christmas from TexasI have experienced that as well.

Jedidiah
12-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I only celebrate Kwanzaa.Kwanzaa is a celebration instituted in 1966. It has no real roots except a desire to avoid Christmas. Oh there are made up reasons for this made up holiday.

Jedidiah
12-16-2014, 01:26 PM
And a Merry Christmas to Texas, and all the rest as well, from Great Grampa in Alaska.

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Kwanzaa is a celebration instituted in 1966. It has no real roots except a desire to avoid Christmas. Oh there are made up reasons for this made up holiday.

And it would have been fine if they didn't pretend it was "brought over" from Africa. :yes:

mossrose
12-16-2014, 02:22 PM
And a Merry Christmas to Texas, and all the rest as well, from Great Grampa in Alaska.

Off topic: is he there yet??

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 02:23 PM

Santa? :huh:

mossrose
12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
The great-grandbaby!

I thought he was coming yesterday or today......

Cow Poke
12-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Oh.

Jedidiah
12-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Not expected for another 9 days.

ETA: I thought you were referring to Santa. Devon will not be here until Saturday evening.

mossrose
12-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Not expected for another 9 days.

ETA: I thought you were referring to Santa. Devon will not be here until Saturday evening.

I have no idea what I was thinking. Sorry.

:blush: