Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Have you ever eaten a pet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever eaten a pet?

Yeah, sounds gross, eh?

When we were kids, we lived on a farm, and raised, among other things, chickens.

My brothers and I decided we'd pick out our favorite chicks and name them, have contests with them, and we named them Penny, Denny, Jenny and Benny -- the first letters of each of our first names, with "enny".

Make a long story short, it became their turn, eventually, to become supper. I KNEW we raised animals for food, but it never occurred to me that I would ever end up EATING a chicken I PLAYED with.

Now, don't get me wrong, this was no "mean dad proving a point" thing -- it was just in the course of "farm life", and chickens were FOOD, not pets.

Apparently, my older brothers knew from Day 1 that "their" chicken would eventually end up on the dinner table, but I was the baby boy, and had no clue. When I found out, AFTER THE FACT, I felt really sick.

The reason I'm thinking about this now is that my oldest granddaughter was over for supper, and we had ham. It turned out to be quite a delicious ham (one of OBP's relatives, no doubt) and she asked, "what animal does ham come from". We were astounded. We all just sat there looking at her, and she asked, "cow?"

Those of you who always get your meat from a store, wrapped in cellophane don't know what you're missing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yeah, Ive got a small amount of land in town and I have to keep the grass down somehow, so we breed a sheep each year and keep the lamb. If the lamb is a ram we fatten him for the freezer. If the lamb is a ewe mumsy gets replaced.

We've had Eunice, Barbara, Felice, Lambert, Barnard, Jumbuck, Matilda, Jolly and Molly. Jolly and Molly were twins.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Heheheheheheh, happens from time to time.

My own mother and my aunts had a similar experience when they were kids. My own grandfather also raised chickens, and every now and then, many of them ended up for dinner in their household. ^^
      Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
      As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

You're trying to get me in trouble for taking some of Teal's cats to that Chinese restaurant, aren't you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Good thing you can't tell a dressed squirrel from a cat... Po probably wants to have a word with you now...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Coming from the woman that this commercial was based on

Not to mention this incident

Teal and friend playing with the "pretty kitties"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, sounds gross, eh?

When we were kids, we lived on a farm, and raised, among other things, chickens.

My brothers and I decided we'd pick out our favorite chicks and name them, have contests with them, and we named them Penny, Denny, Jenny and Benny -- the first letters of each of our first names, with "enny".

Make a long story short, it became their turn, eventually, to become supper. I KNEW we raised animals for food, but it never occurred to me that I would ever end up EATING a chicken I PLAYED with.

Now, don't get me wrong, this was no "mean dad proving a point" thing -- it was just in the course of "farm life", and chickens were FOOD, not pets.

Apparently, my older brothers knew from Day 1 that "their" chicken would eventually end up on the dinner table, but I was the baby boy, and had no clue. When I found out, AFTER THE FACT, I felt really sick.

The reason I'm thinking about this now is that my oldest granddaughter was over for supper, and we had ham. It turned out to be quite a delicious ham (one of OBP's relatives, no doubt) and she asked, "what animal does ham come from". We were astounded. We all just sat there looking at her, and she asked, "cow?"

Those of you who always get your meat from a store, wrapped in cellophane don't know what you're missing.
              My 1st exposure to this was walking around on my Great Aunts farm collecting breakfast. Which was absolutely delicious.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

One year when I was a little kid, my parents bought me a rabbit for Easter. When I was grown we gave it to my paternal grandparents. One night we were eating dinner with them and guess what was served. Tasted fine and did not bother me.

I may have told this one before, but . . .

My young granddaughter had a rabbit, and asked if she could raise some bunnies. I told her sure, but if she could not get rid of them they would ultimately be eaten. Thinking for a minute or so, she said that she did not want to have pets named lunch and dinner.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X