Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/antibiotic-resistance-will-kill-300-million-people-by-2050/?WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20141217

Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050
    New report says pharma companies make more money from other drugs, so shy away from new antibiotic development

The true cost of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) will be 300 million premature deaths and up to $100 trillion (£64 trillion) lost to the global economy by 2050.

The true cost of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) will be 300 million premature deaths and up to $100 trillion (£64 trillion) lost to the global economy by 2050. This scenario is set out in a new report which looks to a future where drug resistance is not tackled between now and 2050.

The report predicts that the world’s GDP would be 0.5% smaller by 2020 and 1.4% smaller by 2030 with over 100 million premature deaths. The Review on Antimicrobial Resistance, chaired by Jim O’Neill, is significant in that it is a global review that seeks to quantify financial costs.

This issue goes beyond health policy and, on a strictly macroeconomic basis, it makes sense for governments to act now, the report argues. "One of the things that has been lacking is putting some pound signs in front of this problem," says Michael Head at the Farr institute, University College London, UK, who sees hope in how a response to HIV came about. "The world was slow to respond [to HIV], but when the costs were calculated the world leapt into action."

He recently totted up R&D for infectious diseases in the UK and found gross underinvestment in antibacterial research: £102 million compared to a total of £2.6 billion. Other research shows that less than 1% of available research funds in the UK and Europe were spent on antibiotic research in 2008–2013.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Well that should make the liberals happy - less people to contribute to global warming.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Well that should make the liberals happy - less people to contribute to global warming.
      Fewer not less...

100 trillion U.S. is more than the sum of the current global GDPs. That sounds a little out of whack.

K54

Comment

Thinning the herd down to 144,000
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

But also MUCH less tax revenue for them to spend on the solution up with which they have not come.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            But also MUCH less tax revenue for them to spend on the solution up with which they have not come.
            And fewer vote banks to empower the Al Sharptons of the world to influence the spending of the revenue that remains.

Comment

Doing some research into this, it's mainly because of the fact that doctors are forced to prescribe anti-biotics for every situation due to patients repeatedly demanding them.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Newer antibiotics, especially fluoroquinolones, are also considerably more dangerous. If governments want to encourage more corporate R&D spending, they will probably need to grant longer patent exclusivity and perhaps even greater liability protections. No easy answers.
                Last edited by robrecht; 12-21-2014, 12:04 PM.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

You're really so bitter against a group of people and so resistant to accepting what overwhelmingly appears to be the case that you would say things like this. I'm speechless.

Please consider how you might react to the following hypothetical scenario.

Thread title: "Toxic Waste Leak in Major American Rivers Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050."

Liberal version of seer: "Well that should make the conservatives happy--fewer people to mooch off government welfare."

Have a heart for once, seer.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Perhaps Prince Phillip will get his wish!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Thinning the herd down to 144,000
                      I asked some JWs about this last time they interrupted me doorwise - they now have some indecipherable gobbledegook* that allows them to keep those JWs beyond the first 144,000 content.

Roy

*The person telling me was unable to explain it, so either it's indecipherable gobbledegook or it's decipherable gobbledegook they were too dim to understand.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Global warming is happening even if we cut CO2 today, and depending on how great the potential costs of several antibiotic resistant bacterial strains running around, we might not have the capability to make the transition from coal and oil, which is only going to make the problem worse, especially since oil by the end of the century is going to be fairly expensive resource.

There isn't an infinite amount of oil out there, it is not a renewable resource.

Comment

Interesting that we have a post about growing resistance to antibiotics, and the first reaction is that it will kill off the evil members of the OTHER political party! Talk about a one-track mind.

Comment

Sounds rather inaccurate to me (after all, we've heard this song and dance before). Problem with the logic is that even assuming there is low development in antibiotics because of profits, it would become more profitable to create new ones due to a greater demand for antibiotics. Plus, how do you determine the cause of death was due to resistant bacteria? I know COD's are not always obvious or easy to determine.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                              Interesting that we have a post about growing resistance to antibiotics, and the first reaction is that it will kill off the evil members of the OTHER political party! Talk about a one-track mind.
                              I agree, we should be dicussing how liberal push for promiscuous behavior has added to this through unnecessary STDs.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment