Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever

Source: http://inhabitat.com/archeologists-dig-up-5000-year-old-underground-city-that-could-be-the-largest-ever-found/

Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever found

Read more: Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever found | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

The city, found in the province of Nevsehir, was discovered while developers were excavating for a new housing development in the area known in archeological circles for the amount of underground settlements. The project has since been cancelled.

This site, however, near the city of Kayseri, apparently dwarfs all other sites, according to The Independent—which notes that “Hasan Ünver, the mayor of the city on those outskirts the discovery was found, said other underground cities were nothing more than a “kitchen” compared to the newly uncovered settlement.”

RELATED: Aerial imagery reveals new details about ancient stone circles in the Middle East

Despite the fact that nearly 90 million Turkish liras, the equivalent of about 38.6 million in U.S. dollars, have been spent on the housing development, the Turkey Housing Development Administration (TOKI) doesn’t feel it is a loss, considering what has been uncovered.

Escape galleries and churches were found in the underground city and the site has now been registered officially with the Turkish Preservation Board, officials said. It is not the first underground city to be found in the Nevsehir area, but it is the most massive.

Read more: Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever found | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building .

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: http://inhabitat.com/archeologists-dig-up-5000-year-old-underground-city-that-could-be-the-largest-ever-found/

Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever found

Read more: Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever found | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

The city, found in the province of Nevsehir, was discovered while developers were excavating for a new housing development in the area known in archeological circles for the amount of underground settlements. The project has since been cancelled.

This site, however, near the city of Kayseri, apparently dwarfs all other sites, according to The Independent—which notes that “Hasan Ünver, the mayor of the city on those outskirts the discovery was found, said other underground cities were nothing more than a “kitchen” compared to the newly uncovered settlement.”

RELATED: Aerial imagery reveals new details about ancient stone circles in the Middle East

Despite the fact that nearly 90 million Turkish liras, the equivalent of about 38.6 million in U.S. dollars, have been spent on the housing development, the Turkey Housing Development Administration (TOKI) doesn’t feel it is a loss, considering what has been uncovered.

Escape galleries and churches were found in the underground city and the site has now been registered officially with the Turkish Preservation Board, officials said. It is not the first underground city to be found in the Nevsehir area, but it is the most massive.

Read more: Archeologists discover 5,000-year-old underground city that could be the largest ever found | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building .

© Copyright Original Source

I was reading about this earlier this morning. Discovered in Cappadocia in central Turkey with one source declaring that it consists "of at least 7 kilometers (3.5 miles) of tunnels, hidden churches, and escape galleries dating back around 5,000 years." I think the dating back 5000 years part is a bit suspect in that most of these underground cities date from much later.

The source above brings up another multi-level underground city in Nevşehir Province called Derinkuyu that could hold up to 20,000 people. The article describes it as being eleven levels deep although the Wikipedia article on it says it has five levels. They also say such structures started out as caves which were later expanded and were likely first constructed "by the Phrygians, an Indo-European people, in the 7th–8th centuries B.C." That would push their origins back to less than 3000 years.

An ABC article includes numerous pictures

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Some of the pics at the ABC site look more like random pictures of Kayseri.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Some of the pics at the ABC site look more like random pictures of Kayseri.
        Kayseri, seri, whatever will be will be.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm guessing that PARTS of the city date back 5,000 years since churches can't go back more than about 2,000...
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I'm guessing that PARTS of the city date back 5,000 years since churches can't go back more than about 2,000...
            Apparently they are basing the age on some artifacts uncovered there but they are not releasing how the dating was done.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Kayseri, seri, whatever will be will be.
              Well, aren't you punny.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                I believe what they may be referring to is temples, or possibly churches used much later in history.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment