PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Buzzword
01-09-2015, 06:33 PM
If we have a Whiskey thread, we need a BEER THREAD!!

I recently moved within twenty minutes of Missouri, which has pretty much no liquor laws (yay for booze on Sundays!), and the local *big* liquor store in Joplin has a build-your-own-sixpack setup, so I've been trying a bunch of new stuff.

I'm partial to Blue Moon and wheat beers in general, especially any and all homebrewed hefeweizen.

With much prodding from friends, I tried an IPA.
Pain from start to handing it off after a couple of sips.

I still don't get how anyone can enjoy a BITTER flavor in a BEVERAGE, but that's just me.

What about ya'll?

KingsGambit
01-09-2015, 07:09 PM

I recently moved within twenty minutes of Missouri, which has pretty much no liquor laws (yay for booze on Sundays!), and the local *big* liquor store in Joplin has a build-your-own-sixpack setup, so I've been trying a bunch of new stuff.

I'm partial to Blue Moon and wheat beers in general, especially any and all homebrewed hefeweizen.

I still don't get how anyone can enjoy a BITTER flavor in a BEVERAGE, but that's just me.

What about ya'll?

So you're in the four state area? We don't live more than a couple hours apart, and my uncle lives in Joplin.

I like Blue Moon as well, but my very favorite wheat beer is Free State (KS)'s Wheat State Golden, or Boulevard (MO) Wheat.

I don't mind IPAs myself.

Buzzword
01-09-2015, 07:10 PM
So you're in the four state area? We don't live more than a couple hours apart, and my uncle lives in Joplin.

I like Blue Moon as well, but my very favorite wheat beer is Free State (KS)'s Wheat State Golden, or Boulevard (MO) Wheat.

I don't mind IPAs myself.

I like Boulevard, but I prefer to use it in beer chili than as a beverage.

Zymologist
01-09-2015, 07:13 PM
I had the exact same opinion of IPAs the first several times I tried them. Now, I almost prefer them over other beers.

One Bad Pig
01-09-2015, 07:36 PM

What about ya'll?
When it comes to beer, we're about polar opposites. I don't care much for wheat beers, but I really like double IPAs (which tend to be a little sweeter than the usual IPA). I also enjoy stouts and barleywines. Yuengling lager or black & tan are acceptable cheap beers.

I've tried a handful of Boulevard's products, but they're more carbonated than I prefer. I love building my own six-packs. :yummy:

Zymologist
01-09-2015, 09:09 PM
I really like hefeweizens too, though.

T-Shirt Ninja
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM

What about ya'll?

I like a lot of different kinds of beers including wheat, lagers, ales, IPAs, etc. I hated IPAs the first time I tried them. I gave them another try last year and ended up liking them after all. My advice is not to give up on IPAs. They sort of grow on you after a while.

I really love Stouts and Porters. I like to try different kinds from local breweries.

Chaotic Void
01-10-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm a fan of Stout Beers (like Guinness) and Ales (Amber, Dark, IPA/Double IPA). I've been longing to try a Russian Imperial Stout for ages, but alas... I can't seem to find one at my local Liquor Board Store. :sad:

One Bad Pig
01-11-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm a fan of Stout Beers (like Guinness) and Ales (Amber, Dark, IPA/Double IPA). I've been longing to try a Russian Imperial Stout for ages, but alas... I can't seem to find one at my local Liquor Board Store. :sad:
You can't find any imperial stouts? I feel sad for you. Do they just have a limited number of brands? If you ask for something, can they get it for you?

Buzzword
01-11-2015, 01:58 PM
My grandpa used to drink these when I was a kid.
Didn't know they were still around until I got to try one over Christmas Break.

http://lonestar-beer.com/images/single_bottle_lonestar.png

Good stuff.

One Bad Pig
01-11-2015, 03:18 PM

Good stuff.
I think the only Texas beer I've had is Shiner (I've tried several of their varieties, but I think I like Shiner Bock the best).

Littlejoe
01-11-2015, 05:14 PM
I think the only Texas beer I've had is Shiner (I've tried several of their varieties, but I think I like Shiner Bock the best).

Have you tried the Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale? I'm a bit biased, but I haven't had a bad Shiner product.

I prefer Stouts and Ales myself. But I haven't been drinking much beer lately...

One Bad Pig
01-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Have you tried the Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale? I'm a bit biased, but I haven't had a bad Shiner product.

I prefer Stouts and Ales myself. But I haven't been drinking much beer lately...
No, I haven't seen that one yet. I don't recall caring much for their Oktoberfest, or their Farmhouse ale.

Then again, the only Oktoberfest I've really liked so far is Sam Adams. :shrug:

Chaotic Void
01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
You can't find any imperial stouts? I feel sad for you. Do they just have a limited number of brands? If you ask for something, can they get it for you?

They do, in fact, do special orders (which are subject to freight, duty, taxes, markup, yadda yadda). Got any recommended varieties?

One Bad Pig
01-13-2015, 08:52 PM
They do, in fact, do special orders (which are subject to freight, duty, taxes, markup, yadda yadda). Got any recommended varieties?
Mission Brewery's Dark Seas, Victory Brewing Co.'s Storm King, North Coast Brewing Co.'s Old Rasputin

Also Avery Brewing Co.'s The Czar - which I have, but haven't tried yet; however, I've really liked almost everything I've tried of theirs.

Buzzword
01-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Has anybody ever tried homebrewing?

My father-in-law used to do it all the time, and I happened to try his last batch before retirement, a beautiful hefeweizen that left me feeling full, like all great homebrews.

Littlejoe
01-20-2015, 03:25 PM

My father-in-law used to do it all the time, and I happened to try his last batch before retirement, a beautiful hefeweizen that left me feeling full, like all great homebrews.

I used to home brew with a good friend of mine. We made quite a few really good beers! We quit because of the time required and the added pounds caused by too much rich beer...:hehe:

Carrikature
01-23-2015, 11:31 PM

Good stuff.

Next you'll be telling us that PBR is your favorite. :no:

Shiner is something that I miss about Texas. I haven't yet found a local replacement. There was a brewery in Bonners Ferry, Idaho that had several great beers, but that's not exactly nearby.

Portland, Oregon is the capital of homebrewing and micro-breweries. I know of people that come to Portland for a long weekend just to pub crawl and sample the brews.

One Bad Pig
02-02-2015, 10:34 AM
'nother excuse to drink beer: it can help to prevent the onset of dementia (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0215/beer_dementia.php3)!

:cheers:

T-Shirt Ninja
02-11-2015, 02:09 PM
I tried Sam Adams Cold Snap the other day. I thought it was pretty good. Not very bitter and my wife liked it cold.

ETA: I really love Sam Adams Rebel IPA. One of the best IPA's I've had thus far.

supton
02-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I like Sam Adam's Lager (enjoying one now). Harpoon IPA is another favorite. Not sure what else I like, other than anything that is free... Friend gave me a case of Red Hook IPA and I wasn't impressed.

I've thought about homebrew but always figured I didn't have the time, and I don't need any more hobbies.

I usually drink wine though these days, I find it lasts longer. One beer leads to two leads to four leads to... floor.

One Bad Pig
02-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Interesting. I have that problem more with wine (once the bottle's open, may as well finish it). I had a couple bad experiences with too much wine, so I try not to drink it often.

supton
02-22-2015, 05:53 PM
I did that with gin, and promptly swore off the hard stuff.

Three beers and Ill be sweating, cramping all night. Bottle of wine, no prob. :shrug: Not something Im in the habit of but that is how it has been lately. Well, not a bottle of wine but close enough.

Littlejoe
02-22-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm the exact opposite...Wine gives me indigestion/sour stomach. Beer not so much.

One Bad Pig
04-16-2015, 11:12 AM
So I've been having a beer each night for Bright Week (the week after Orthodox Easter).

Green Bullet (brewed by Green Flash) - triple IPA brewed with NZ hops
Dogfish Head Immort Ale (limited release brewed a couple years ago) - very smooth, not too bitter and not too sweet. Wish I'd picked up more than one.
Weyerbacher Quad
Founder's Double Trouble Imperial IPA

Zymologist
04-16-2015, 11:47 AM
So I've been having a beer each night for Bright Week (the week after Orthodox Easter).

Green Bullet (brewed by Green Flash) - triple IPA brewed with NZ hops
Dogfish Head Immort Ale (limited release brewed a couple years ago) - very smooth, not too bitter and not too sweet. Wish I'd picked up more than one.
Weyerbacher Quad
Founder's Double Trouble Imperial IPA

I've heard of Dogfish Head, but never had it. That beer is practically legend.

One Bad Pig
04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
I've heard of Dogfish Head, but never had it. That beer is practically legend.
I don't like all of their products (they do all sorts of experimental brewing), but I've sampled some products which I find to be exceptionally good.

Zymologist
04-16-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm drinking a Rogue Beard Beer. It's unusual.

One Bad Pig
04-17-2015, 06:17 AM
I'm drinking a Rogue Beard Beer. It's unusual.
Rogue makes some interesting brews, like Voodoo Donut and New Crustacean.

rogue06
04-17-2015, 06:24 AM
:smug:

Zymologist
04-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Rogue makes some interesting brews, like Voodoo Donut and New Crustacean.

I really like their Dead Guy ale.

T-Shirt Ninja
04-23-2015, 03:42 PM
I recently tried Rebel Rouser Double IPA from Sam Adams. It was definitely a slap to my taste buds with bitterness but I definitely like it.

One Bad Pig
04-27-2015, 12:41 PM
I had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker (imperial IPA) yesterday. That was nicely hoppy. :yummy:

Who wants fizzy yellow beer when you can have something decent instead?

myth
04-27-2015, 04:18 PM
I had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker (imperial IPA) yesterday. That was nicely hoppy. :yummy:

Who wants fizzy yellow beer when you can have something decent instead?

I'm not sure I understand that much-vaulted hop taste, but then I'm not much of a beer drinker. 'Hoppy' seems to equal 'strange bitter flower taste', in my estimation. When I drink beer, it tends to be the darker stuff (Dos Equis Ambar, Guinness). I can stomach stuff like Fat Tire and Blue Moon, though.

One Bad Pig
04-28-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure I understand that much-vaulted hop taste, but then I'm not much of a beer drinker. 'Hoppy' seems to equal 'strange bitter flower taste', in my estimation. When I drink beer, it tends to be the darker stuff (Dos Equis Ambar, Guinness). I can stomach stuff like Fat Tire and Blue Moon, though.
Double IPAs (and triple/imperial IPAs) tend to be sweeter because there's so much hops in them. I also like darker stuff like stouts/imperial stouts and porters. Try Founder's Breakfast Stout sometime.

Zymologist
04-28-2015, 09:39 AM
I really like Scottish ales.

Chaotic Void
06-24-2015, 07:14 PM
:bump:

I've been trying local beer as of late. I bought a cheap 15-pack of Müs Knuckle Lager, and it's good... Normally, I prefer heavier beers, but Lagers are great for Summertime. :yummy:

One Bad Pig
08-03-2015, 09:29 AM
I tried a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout yesterday which was surprisingly underwhelming. It's a coffee stout, but I could barely taste any coffee flavor, let alone a hint of bourbon.

Papa Zoom
08-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Dark beer for me. Black Butte. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/198/

Jedidiah
08-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Dark beer for me. Black Butte. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/198/

Almost as good as Guinness.

T-Shirt Ninja
08-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Recently I tried Not Your Father's Root Beer (alcoholic root beer). It hits at first with the normal sweetness that you would expect from a root beer but then the bitter aftertaste is definitely overwhelming. I don't recommend it at all. The flavor is weird and shifts from one extreme to the other with little transition in between.

One Bad Pig
08-04-2015, 05:51 AM
Recently I tried Not Your Father's Root Beer (alcoholic root beer). It hits at first with the normal sweetness that you would expect from a root beer but then the bitter aftertaste is definitely overwhelming. I don't recommend it at all. The flavor is weird and shifts from one extreme to the other with little transition in between.
Most beers in that category (and most fruit beers) have a wheat base. Since I don't care much for wheat beer, there are very few of them I like; I like Crabbie's ginger beers, and I've found one peach beer that I like (Lindemans Peche), but that's it so far.

myth
10-03-2015, 10:09 AM

I tried this stuff last night. I thought it tasted about like regular root beer.

Do you drink coffee? I'm curious about your sensitivity to bitterness (apparently I don't have much, I like my coffee super bold) because I didn't notice a bitter after taste to the beer. Granted, I only took a single swig cause I was mostly working on my Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

T-Shirt Ninja
10-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Local beers!

I tried Vanillaphant from Avondale brewing company. It's a really delicious porter and reminds me of Guinness with vanilla mixed in. I also tried Black Warrior's Apricot Wheat. Very nice wheat ale with apricot and tastes well balanced between sweet and bitter. It doesn't sway too strongly one way or the other.

T-Shirt Ninja
10-07-2015, 08:44 PM
I tried this stuff last night. I thought it tasted about like regular root beer.

Do you drink coffee? I'm curious about your sensitivity to bitterness (apparently I don't have much, I like my coffee super bold) because I didn't notice a bitter after taste to the beer. Granted, I only took a single swig cause I was mostly working on my Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

I do drink coffee occasionally. I can only have decaf, though. I don't really like my coffee super bold so there could be a tasting preference difference between you and me on that accord.

Adam
01-17-2016, 08:41 AM
Most beers in that category (and most fruit beers) have a wheat base. Since I don't care much for wheat beer,

Stop right there. I have Celiac Disease, so can't drink beer because it's from malted barley, which is as bad for me as wheat. 40 years ago when I did drink beer I was very particular. I loved Loewenbrau and Heinekins and found Coors almost as good. Nothing else tasted decent to me, particularly not the beers I drank while in the US Army in Germany, the Dunkel and the Helle (Dark and Bright). I guess the beers I liked were not German style but Dutch style.

One Bad Pig
01-18-2016, 07:05 AM
Stop right there. I have Celiac Disease, so can't drink beer because it's from malted barley, which is as bad for me as wheat. 40 years ago when I did drink beer I was very particular. I loved Loewenbrau and Heinekins and found Coors almost as good. Nothing else tasted decent to me, particularly not the beers I drank while in the US Army in Germany, the Dunkel and the Helle (Dark and Bright). I guess the beers I liked were not German style but Dutch style.
You know, there are now gluten-free beers available.

Zymologist
01-18-2016, 07:55 AM
I actually haven't been drinking beer for a while, because the carbonation is so hard on my digestion. I like beer, but not enough to offset the inevitable misery. I don't drink soda anymore for the same reason.

Adam
01-18-2016, 08:56 AM
You know, there are now gluten-free beers available.
Do they taste as good as Heineken's or Loewenbrau? Or even Coors?
Actually, doesn't matter HOW they taste, they're full of hops, and hops is now an established health food. It's even good for my migraines.

One Bad Pig
01-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Do they taste as good as Heineken's or Loewenbrau? Or even Coors?
Actually, doesn't matter HOW they taste, they're full of hops, and hops is now an established health food. It's even good for my migraines.
I haven't tried them, because I have no issues with gluten. :shrug: I believe Omission brewery has an entire line of gluten-free beers.

Zymologist
01-18-2016, 09:48 AM
I actually haven't been drinking beer for a while, because the carbonation is so hard on my digestion. I like beer, but not enough to offset the inevitable misery. I don't drink soda anymore for the same reason.

Fortunately, whisky does not cause such a problem for the ol' gut. :cheers:

Raphael
01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Speight 5 Malt Old Dark Ale is rather good. (especially when I'm down in Dunedin at the Speights Ale House that is next to the brewery)

http://www.speights.co.nz/Our-Range/Craft/Speights-5-Malt-Old-Dark
"TASTING NOTES:
5 malt old dark was introduced into the Speight's range in 1992 to meet consumer demands for the classic 'dark' beer. No prizes for guessing why it got its name. By carefully selecting, roasting and matching 5 separate malts we have crafted a dark beer that gives rich, creamy, chocolate fudge flavours swiftly followed by coffee overtones. Perfect for warming the cockles on a stormy night."

One Bad Pig
01-19-2016, 05:23 PM
Speight 5 Malt Old Dark Ale is rather good. (especially when I'm down in Dunedin at the Speights Ale House that is next to the brewery)

http://www.speights.co.nz/Our-Range/Craft/Speights-5-Malt-Old-Dark
"TASTING NOTES:
5 malt old dark was introduced into the Speight's range in 1992 to meet consumer demands for the classic 'dark' beer. No prizes for guessing why it got its name. By carefully selecting, roasting and matching 5 separate malts we have crafted a dark beer that gives rich, creamy, chocolate fudge flavours swiftly followed by coffee overtones. Perfect for warming the cockles on a stormy night."
:hrm: Looks like it's unavailable in my area. The only NZ beers available are Steinlager (which I've tried) and a couple varieties of Moa.

Raphael
01-19-2016, 06:05 PM
:hrm: Looks like it's unavailable in my area. The only NZ beers available are Steinlager (which I've tried) and a couple varieties of Moa.

If I ever get to visiting the US, I'll have try see if I can bring you a couple.

rogue06
01-22-2016, 09:02 PM
As the old Irish toast so aptly puts it:

Here's to a long life and a good one, a quick death and an easy one, a long love and a true one, a cold beer and another one.

phat8594
02-10-2016, 03:33 PM

See if you can try the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin (IPA). It is like the gateway drug into IPA's! haha.

I, personally am not the biggest fan of IPA's, but the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and regular Sculpin are quite tasty. I highly recommend it.

One Bad Pig
02-24-2016, 06:08 PM
I really like Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot (having one now). It's got quite a kick, though (11% ABV).

Zymologist
03-17-2016, 09:43 AM
I've been successfully staying away from beer for the past few months, because of how hard the carbonation is on me. I'm a little bummed, because I do like it, but oh well. My guts thank me for it. (Beer is by no means the cause of my gut problem, but the carbonation is nothing but bad for it.)

One Bad Pig
05-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Just had a Moa Imperial Stout. :yummy:

Zym, you might try tracking some down. It had pretty much no carbonation.

Raphael
05-12-2016, 06:13 PM
So we're on a family road trip for the weekend. Having lunch at the McDonalds in Matamata (aka Hobbiton) and they have this big picture of The Green Dragon on the wall)

myth
05-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice looking McDonald's.

And since I'm in the beer thread....I'm just trying some Negra Modelo. I'm surprised, it's actually pretty good.

Raphael
05-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Trying out this beer from one of our local breweries. A rather pleasant if unusual taste.
http://www.boundaryroadbrewery.co.nz/craft-beer-range

15976 15977

One Bad Pig
07-16-2016, 06:02 AM
I raised a glass for Curt the other day.