PDA

View Full Version : Raw almonds?

mossrose
01-13-2015, 07:47 AM
I have some oral reactions to certain fruit, cherries, plums, nectarines, a few others, but eat them anyway.

Certain nuts also cause the same itchiness in my mouth, such as walnuts and almonds, but I eat them too.

I had about a dozen raw almonds yesterday afternoon for a snack, and within half an hour I felt nauseous and like I was going to pass out. Didn't even notice my itchy mouth. Took a Zantac which seemed to help and laid down until the faintness passed.

I have never had this reaction to cooked almonds, in fact had some in a cooked dish on Sunday night. I have noticed I sometimes get a slight stomach ache whenever I ate some but nothing as severe as this time.

Are raw almonds a big issue for anybody? I guess I shouldn't eat them raw anymore.

:frown:

Bill the Cat
01-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Almonds belong in a Hershey's bar. :yummy:

mossrose
01-13-2015, 07:57 AM
I can eat them in a chocolate bar, but in the past when I have had these raw ones with some chocolate chips for a snack, I get the same stomachache.:nsm:

mossrose
01-13-2015, 08:06 AM
So I was just reading that those symptoms are very common with raw almonds, and that you can remove some of the enzymes that cause the pain and nausea by soaking them for several hours. 4 cups almonds and 2 tsp salt in enough water to cover, then allowing them to dry for a day.

Still raw, still nutrient rich, but hopefully not issue-causing!

Going to try later!

Bill the Cat
01-13-2015, 08:36 AM
I can eat them in a chocolate bar, but in the past when I have had these raw ones with some chocolate chips for a snack, I get the same stomachache.:nsm:

The candy bar ones are roasted, removing the oils that you are probably not tolerating well. Smoking does the same thing.

mossrose
01-13-2015, 09:59 AM
The candy bar ones are roasted, removing the oils that you are probably not tolerating well. Smoking does the same thing.

They are also much better when the chocolate is of the dark variety.

Bill the Cat
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM
They are also much better when the chocolate is of the dark variety.

I'll take it any way I can get it. Diabetes and all... :sigh:

Littlejoe
01-13-2015, 10:06 AM
My daughter and I have the same reaction to raw onions. However, we can both eat cooked ones with no issue...as long as they are WELL cooked. I suspect it's the enzyme thing with those as well.

Reminds me of the old joke:

Me: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doc: Then don't do that...:doh:

:hehe:

mossrose
01-13-2015, 10:26 AM
I have a cup of nuts soaking in water to cover with half a tsp of salt. Will soak for several hours and dry overnight and try a couple tomorrow.

Will let you know if it works.

mossrose
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Raw potatoes make my hands itch when I peel them. I don't eat them raw (although did as a kid), but the itching on my hands is worse than the itch in my mouth from eating cherries.

We don't have peeled potatoes very often, needless to say. Sometimes if the skin is thin I even mash them with the skin on.

rogue06
01-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Raw potatoes make my hands itch when I peel them. I don't eat them raw (although did as a kid), but the itching on my hands is worse than the itch in my mouth from eating cherries.

We don't have peeled potatoes very often, needless to say. Sometimes if the skin is thin I even mash them with the skin on.
Try peeling the potatoes while they're underwater

mossrose
01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Try peeling the potatoes while they're underwater

Does that help?

Sparko
01-13-2015, 12:39 PM
wear gloves.

Sparko
01-13-2015, 12:43 PM
or get one of these:
http://www.amazon.ca/Starfrit-093209-006-BLCK-Rotato-Express-Electric-Peeler/dp/B000X9EPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421181611&sr=8-1&keywords=potato+peeler+electric

rogue06
01-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Does that help?
So I've been told.

Sparko
01-13-2015, 12:52 PM
So I've been told.Or you could invent her a potato peeler at rogue tech.

Like:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/19/f3/3a/19f33a14fa5eff5dac468acb06e25e85.jpg

rogue06
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Or you could invent her a potato peeler at rogue tech.

Like:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/19/f3/3a/19f33a14fa5eff5dac468acb06e25e85.jpg

Naw. Just put CP on KP.

Jedidiah
01-13-2015, 01:36 PM
If I eat very many raw walnuts I get some unpleasantness in my mouth. Not exactly itching just uncomfortable. I can handle a few, but not many. No other raw nuts or other foods trouble me like that.

mossrose
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM
I just ate one almond that I have soaked for 3 hours, and it still makes my mouth itchy........

:uneasy:

Truthseeker
01-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Soaking nuts in water is supposed to draw out phytic acid. That is a nasty customer http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/

Littlejoe
01-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Soaking nuts in water is supposed to draw out phytic acid. That is a nasty customer http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/

Interesting read! Thanks!

Catholicity
01-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Mossy be very careful that you are not eating something you are actually allergic to. The nausea and stomach ache from the almonds and the oral reactions to foods can signal allergies which at some point can turn anaphylactic. This happened to a teen I know with peanuts his nausea turned anaphylactic and me with black pepper only it was oral. I also have a violent oral reaction to peach skin. I peel them. FYI please take any concerns to an allergist.

Truthseeker
01-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Interesting read! Thanks!Thank you, and you're welcome. Perhaps I should add that nuts and seeds are also high in polyunsaturated fats, which are bad for the thyroid system (several hormones in that). I don't think soaking nut or seed for a day or so would really make them healthy.

just Johnna
01-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Ha, I never peel them. It's where the vitamins are, I say!

mossrose
01-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Ha, I never peel them. It's where the vitamins are, I say!

True. And I don't peel them often.

:thumb:

Sparko
01-14-2015, 06:04 AM
From what I just read, phytic acid is found in the hulls of nuts, not the meat so I doubt that is the problem. And basically it is just indigestible, not irritating. So you might get diarrhea if you eat too many, it doesn't explain the itching.

I think you just might be allergic to raw almonds.

mossrose
01-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Just ate an almond that I soaked yesterday.

Still a tiny bit of oral reaction, but nothing as per usual.

Will try a few more later on.

Sparko
01-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Just ate an almond that I soaked yesterday.

Still a tiny bit of oral reaction, but nothing as per usual.

Will try a few more later on.

Why don't you just roast them?

mossrose
01-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Why don't you just roast them?

I might do that.

Truthseeker
01-14-2015, 02:48 PM
From what I just read, phytic acid is found in the hulls of nuts, not the meat so I doubt that is the problem.2 things wrong with your post. First, nobody wants to eat the shells or hulls or husks. So, it doesn't matter how much phytic acid there is in them. Besides, soaking nuts that have not been unshelled won't do much to get rid of the acid in the meat--or may actually increase the acid content in the meat!

And basically it is just indigestible, not irritating. So you might get diarrhea if you eat too many, it doesn't explain the itching.Second, the acid itself may not be easy to assimilate, but the point is, it interferes with the uptake of nutrients and otherwise disrupts the functioning of the body.

I think you just might be allergic to raw almonds.Mossy and her readers, I think you should give up nuts and seeds altogether. Some legumes such as peanuts, too.

mossrose
01-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Mossy and her readers, I think you should give up nuts and seeds altogether. Some legumes such as peanuts, too.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I will go that route. There is enough evidence that nuts are healthy and can be eaten, like anything else, in moderation.

If I find that I can't tolerate almonds in any form, then I will not eat them. But there are other nuts that I can eat without adverse reactions and I will then eat those.

I've had half a dozen today, not all at once, with very little oral reaction and no stomach reaction. I will try a few more tomorrow, and perhaps the key is to not eat a bunch at once, and at the very least soak the ones I do eat.

:smile:

Truthseeker
01-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I will go that route. There is enough evidence that nuts are healthy and can be eaten, like anything else, in moderation.How moderate? Strychnine can be taken indefinitely in small enough doses. But why take it? But see below.

But there are other nuts that I can eat without adverse reactions and I will then eat those.To be sure, reasons can be found easily to justify eating nuts. However, if there's a food that doesn't have phytic acid and otherwise matches your nuts in goodness, it would make sense to choose the one food over the other.

I've had half a dozen today, not all at once, with very little oral reaction and no stomach reaction. I will try a few more tomorrow, and perhaps the key is to not eat a bunch at once, and at the very least soak the ones I do eat.I'm skeptical you can tell whether eating nuts, even as moderately as that, is not harming you at all.

Jedidiah
01-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Truthseeker, there are lots of things that we eat that that may be harmful in large enough doses.

mossrose
01-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Truthseeker, there are lots of things that we eat that that may be harmful in large enough doses.

Never dark chocolate!!

Chrawnus
01-15-2015, 05:45 AM
Never dark chocolate!!

Or bacon. :yes:

Sparko
01-15-2015, 06:10 AM
2 things wrong with your post. First, nobody wants to eat the shells or hulls or husks. So, it doesn't matter how much phytic acid there is in them.
:duh:

That WAS the point, TS. Since most of the phytic acid is in the hulls, it is doubtful that phytic acid is the problem since I seriously doubt mossy is eating almond husks.

Besides, soaking nuts that have not been unshelled won't do much to get rid of the acid in the meat--or may actually increase the acid content in the meat!derp.

Second, the acid itself may not be easy to assimilate, but the point is, it interferes with the uptake of nutrients and otherwise disrupts the functioning of the body.
She is probably NOT having a problem with phytic acid in the first place. It seems to be almonds themselves. Phytic acid is found in beans, grains, raw vegetables (salads?) yet she hasn't mentioned having problems with them.

Mossy and her readers, I think you should give up nuts and seeds altogether. Some legumes such as peanuts, too.[/QUOTE]

Truthseeker
01-15-2015, 02:10 PM
That WAS the point, TS. Since most of the phytic acid is in the hulls, it is doubtful that phytic acid is the problem since I seriously doubt mossy is eating almond husks.Good grief, you can't possibly know what harm Mossy may be getting from eating say the meat of walnuts.

She is probably NOT having a problem with phytic acid in the first place.That is possible, but . . .

It seems to be almonds themselves. Phytic acid is found in beans, grains, raw vegetables (salads?) yet she hasn't mentioned having problems with them. I remain skeptical she know exactly what's going on in her body and why.

Let's leave our dispute here.

mossrose
01-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Is popcorn ok?

:movies:

Truthseeker
01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Is popcorn ok?

:movies:Better with organic butter produced from grass-fed (pastured) mammals. Even so, is buttered popcorn healthy? My guess is, maybe in moderation. The corn could be GMO. If not, what about the lack of enzymes?

mossrose
01-15-2015, 05:33 PM
:sigh:

mossrose
01-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Well, I had 6 of my soaked almonds about an hour ago. Aside from a bit of mouth itchiness and a tiny bit of indigestion, certainly none of the extreme reactions from earlier this week.

I think I will have to toast them, because this is still too much reaction for my liking.

Truthseeker
01-26-2015, 07:39 PM
This evening I read a health-care article that recommends soaking nuts and seeds for 8-12 hours.

Bill the Cat
01-27-2015, 05:54 AM
This evening I read a health-care article that recommends soaking nuts and seeds for 8-12 hours.

Must... resist... mind... in... gutter.... :metro:

mossrose
01-27-2015, 07:32 AM
:badboy:

Truthseeker
01-27-2015, 02:07 PM
:badboy::huh: I am not sure I understand.

mossrose
01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
:huh: I am not sure I understand.

Never mind. Bill knows what I was scolding him for.

Did the article you read about soaking the nuts refer to salted water? Or did they recommend just plain water?

Jedidiah
01-27-2015, 08:53 PM
How did the roasting work out?

mossrose
01-27-2015, 08:58 PM
How did the roasting work out?

I haven't roasted them yet. They are still sitting in my freezer. Nor have I had any of the others since the 17th.

Truthseeker
01-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Did the article you read about soaking the nuts refer to salted water? Or did they recommend just plain water?No mention of salt. It may remove more phytic acid than otherwise, but I'm not sure it's using salt to "salt" the phytic acid??

mossrose
01-28-2015, 03:30 PM
No mention of salt. It may remove more phytic acid than otherwise, but I'm not sure it's using salt to "salt" the phytic acid??

The couple of articles I read said to soak in salted water. That helps remove the enzymes that may cause allergies. Don't know about the phytic acid.