PDA

View Full Version : LDS church having press conference on "religious freedom and nondiscrimination"

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 08:41 AM
This is at 10 am, which local time is about 15 minutes from now. They're encouraging people to use the Twitter hashtag #Fairness4All (which I can see backfiring easily). I'm really curious what will be announced.

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Nothing particularly interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/mormon-church-lgbt-laws/index.html

Cow Poke
01-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Convening a rare press conference on Tuesday at church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Mormon leaders pledged to support anti-discrimination laws for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, as long the laws also protect the rights of religious groups.

In exchange, the Mormon church wants gay rights advocates -- and the government -- to back off.

Sounds like damage control, pure and simple. :shrug: They're trying to walk back some of their tough stance on homosexuality.

Bill the Cat
01-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Convening a rare press conference on Tuesday at church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Mormon leaders pledged to support anti-discrimination laws for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, as long the laws also protect the rights of religious groups.

In exchange, the Mormon church wants gay rights advocates -- and the government -- to back off.

Sounds like damage control, pure and simple. :shrug: They're trying to walk back some of their tough stance on homosexuality.

Which is probably one of the only areas I agree with them on...

Cow Poke
01-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Which is probably one of the only areas I agree with them on...

Naw, you probably agree with their "financial responsibility" for families. :smile: (not being in debt, saving for the future, etc)

Chrawnus
01-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Naw, you probably agree with their "financial responsibility" for families. :smile: (not being in debt, saving for the future, etc)

"One of the only" is not the same as "the only". :eh:

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 01:33 PM
This is honestly nothing that I don't think most evangelical Christians couldn't affirm either (traditional teaching on homosexuality but calling for people not to discriminate against others).

Honestly, when I heard the announcement, I was wondering if it was allowing women to the priesthood.

Darth Executor
01-27-2015, 02:11 PM
This is honestly nothing that I don't think most evangelical Christians couldn't affirm either (traditional teaching on homosexuality but calling for people not to discriminate against others).

You are generous with tolerance when you're in charge, not in the middle of a war. It's surrender, plain and simple. The LDS church is crying uncle and begging liberals to leave them alone. They won't, and I don't see why they should. They're winning and the LDS church can't do anything about it. This lesson is of course not limited to the LDS.

Cow Poke
01-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Honestly, when I heard the announcement, I was wondering if it was allowing women to the priesthood.

That's coming. A new "revelation from God", no doubt.

Cow Poke
01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
"One of the only" is not the same as "the only". :eh:

Your hair is blue. :tongue:

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 06:28 PM
You are generous with tolerance when you're in charge, not in the middle of a war. It's surrender, plain and simple. The LDS church is crying uncle and begging liberals to leave them alone. They won't, and I don't see why they should. They're winning and the LDS church can't do anything about it. This lesson is of course not limited to the LDS.

Discriminating against homosexual individuals for, say, employment purposes plays into their attempts to define themselves in terms of their sexual preferences, which is foreign to the gospel. If opposing that is your definition of surrender, then hand me a white flag.

In any event, I'm not going to compliment the LDS church for anything. They are a cult, plain and simple.

One Bad Pig
01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Discriminating against homosexual individuals for, say, employment purposes plays into their attempts to define themselves in terms of their sexual preferences, which is foreign to the gospel. If opposing that is your definition of surrender, then hand me a white flag.

In any event, I'm not going to compliment the LDS church for anything. They are a cult, plain and simple.
IMO sexual orientation has no business being brought up in the context of employment.

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 06:45 PM
IMO sexual orientation has no business being brought up in the context of employment.

I agree with this. That was my general interpretation of the type of discrimination the press conference was against; that's why I mentioned it. (Obviously job positions like clergy are an exception to this.)

Darth Executor
01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Discriminating against homosexual individuals for, say, employment purposes plays into their attempts to define themselves in terms of their sexual preferences

Yeah it's amazing how actually fighting them instead of giving them what they want and shrilly demand really plays into their hands. :ahem:

which is foreign to the gospel.

I must have missed the part where the gospel discusses employment discrimination. Also an amusing comment considering the traditional Biblical punishment for gay sex.

If opposing that is your definition of surrender, then hand me a white flag.

Pretty sure you already surrendered a long time ago.

Liberalism and Mormonism are both cults, but only one of these cults poses a serious threat to me, and it's not the one with the magic underwear. That you would be so petty as to refuse to compliment them when they're doing what you claim is the right thing just shows how cowardly most Christians have become. You can see a similar phenomenon in Christians who aggressively criticize and protest against Muslims but have nothing but anti-discrimination preaching to direct at anyone who fights some faction of the progressive hegemony, even when the latter are far worse than the former.

Darth Executor
01-27-2015, 06:59 PM

Someone should have told that to Brendan Eich.

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Yeah it's amazing how actually fighting them instead of giving them what they want and shrilly demand really plays into their hands. :ahem:

I must have missed the part where the gospel discusses employment discrimination.
Not what I said. I said categorizing people by their sexual orientation is contrary to the gospel.

Liberalism and Mormonism are both cults, but only one of these cults poses a serious threat to me, and it's not the one with the magic underwear. That you would be so petty as to refuse to compliment them when they're doing what you claim is the right thing just shows how cowardly most Christians have become. You can see a similar phenomenon in Christians who aggressively criticize and protest against Muslims but have nothing but anti-discrimination preaching to direct at anyone who fights some faction of the progressive hegemony, even when the latter are far worse than the former. [/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight... you're more okay with the stance that is literally non-Christian than the non-religious stance? Is this one of those friend of my friend is my enemy things? I think you are more invested in politics than Christianity. That's called idolatry.

Darth Executor
01-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Not what I said. I said categorizing people by their sexual orientation is contrary to the gospel.

The gospel discusses "sexual orientation" even less than it discusses employment ethics.

So let me get this straight... you're more okay with the stance that is literally non-Christian than the non-religious stance?

They are both anti-Christian but liberalism is far more anti-Christian than Mormonism. It's a matter of differing perspectives, where you don't see liberalism as all that anti-Christian because you agree with them on welfare and Mexican invasions or whatever whereas I see them, on the whole, as virulently anti-Christians and an far bigger danger to Christians than Mormons, who are (or rather, were) only a danger to Christians because they abandoned older principles slower than American Protestants and especially Catholics did.

Is this one of those friend of my friend is my enemy things?

You mean the enemy of my enemy is my friend? No, more like the enemy of my enemy who poses no threat to me and mine is better than my actual enemy.

I think you are more invested in politics than Christianity.

I am invested in politics because of Christianity. Otherwise I'd probably join the progressive establishment as one of the in the know parasites who uses the mobs of degenerates they've whipped into a frenzy for personal fun and profit.

One Bad Pig
01-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Tell that to those who insist on categorizing themselves by their sexual orientation.

KingsGambit
01-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Tell that to those who insist on categorizing themselves by their sexual orientation.

That's my point. Why play along with them?

Darth Executor
01-27-2015, 10:25 PM
That's my point. Why play along with them?

You're the one playing along with them.