Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

POST beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POST beeps

I've encountered a number of people recently (still doing computer consulting on the side) who were not aware that the POST (Power On Self Test) performed by the computer will often actually tell you what the problem is you are having with your computer.

Just today, a guy brought me a computer that he said had a bad power supply. Then he said "when it starts up, it does two short beeps then pauses then two short beeps..."

I told him "that's not power supply - it's memory. Either a memory module is bad, or is not seated properly..."

He looked surprised, so I Googled "Dell studio two short beeps" and immediately came up with the error code. (Googling is WAY faster than finding the computer's manual, which will usually have a list of codes)

Some HP (I think) computers actually have a small panel of multi-colored LEDs on the back, and the combination/order of colors tells you what the "fault" is.

The POST beep is particularly helpful when you have a bad video card, and you can't see error messages on your monitor. (Usually, if I recall, 1 long beep, 2 short beeps)

Here's one of the lists of common POST beep codes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

My 486 beeps at me when I turn it on 'cause the CMOS battery is dead.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I usually diagnose the problem using smoke signals.

smoke coming out of the power supply = bad power supply
      smoke coming off the motherboard = bad mother board.

Smoke is what makes computers work. If you let the smoke out, it stops working.

Comment

ah. my computer needs an MDA or CGA card. Can I get one with a gig of memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Some HP (I think) computers actually have a small panel of multi-colored LEDs on the back, and the combination/order of colors tells you what the "fault" is.
          ah, I think that's just servers....

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...r_na-c01726637
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I posted my beeps as per the title.

Hope this helped.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Hope this helped.
              bless your heart

Comment

bless your heart

Good thing I re-read the title before posting cause the first time I coulda swore it said "post bleeps" which woulda resulted in a whole different post

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hope this helped.
                  I remember that time it took you 2 days to drive 100 miles because you kept seeing signs that said "Clean Restrooms".

Comment

I remember that time it took you 2 days to drive 100 miles because you kept seeing signs that said "Clean Restrooms".
                    But I sure gathered an interesting collection of phone numbers

Comment

But I sure gathered an interesting collection of phone numbers
                      And, um..... "poetry"

Comment

And, um..... "poetry"
                        "Here I sit all broken-hearted..."

Comment

"Here I sit all broken-hearted..."
                          That's EXACTLY the one I was hoping you wouldn't....

Comment