Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Free Range Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Range Eggs

My wife likes to have breakfast at The Egg And I - not sure how widely they are franchised, but there are a number of them in our area.

Breakfast is a bit on the expensive side, but they DO have good eggs, and the bacon, when asked, is crispy. When I commented on the fact that their eggs have a better flavor, they boasted that they use only free range eggs.

We haven't had chickens in ages, but when we did, I remember the eggs tasting better than what you can buy in the grocery store. So, I bought a dozen free range eggs (much more expensive than store eggs) and will some of them out at breakfast tomorrow.

Have you had experience with free range eggs? Do you raise your own chickens? Are you seeing the price of free range eggs 3 to 5 times higher than regular eggs? Do you buy your eggs from "yard egg" places in your area?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

If they are free how can they cost more?

Comment

In California, yes. New law required farmers keep their chickens free range, and now it's not just Eggland's Best that costs so much.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Free range eggs can be better, just like food you grow yourself. However, that depends on location; some free range eggs actually have higher levels of contaminants because of the lack of atmosphere control.

ETA: chemical contaminants

biological contaminants
        Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          If they are free how can they cost more?
          Eggzactly.

Or do you get a free range when you buy the eggs?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Eggzactly.

Or do you get a free range when you buy the eggs?
            Retiring minds want to know!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              My wife likes to have breakfast at The Egg And I - not sure how widely they are franchised, but there are a number of them in our area.

Breakfast is a bit on the expensive side, but they DO have good eggs, and the bacon, when asked, is crispy. When I commented on the fact that their eggs have a better flavor, they boasted that they use only free range eggs.

We haven't had chickens in ages, but when we did, I remember the eggs tasting better than what you can buy in the grocery store. So, I bought a dozen free range eggs (much more expensive than store eggs) and will some of them out at breakfast tomorrow.

Have you had experience with free range eggs? Do you raise your own chickens? Are you seeing the price of free range eggs 3 to 5 times higher than regular eggs? Do you buy your eggs from "yard egg" places in your area?
              We have The Egg and I up here in the DFW metroplex. The one by us is fairly recent. A year or so old?

Anyway, I know my birth mom buys all her food organic free range, etc. because she's on the Paleo diet. I think she buys most of hers from local ranchers, farmers, etc. which makes it not quite as expensive as grocery store free range. In my experience I have had a lot of free range, fair trade, organic, what have you food tastes better, particularly grown locally. Which makes sense, because food that lacks the preservatives for long range transport is going to spoil. YMMV.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Who wants to eat food that's old, anyway? Would someone eat oranges from Florida when he lives in Washington State? Or, heaven forbid, Alaska.

I suppose people in Hawaii eat pineapples in preference to oranges
                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Why are you eating at Fred McMurphy's house?
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    Who wants to eat food that's old, anyway? Would someone eat oranges from Florida when he lives in Washington State? Or, heaven forbid, Alaska.
                    Alaska does not grow oranges so you won't have to worry about that. But, yes, one of the few down sides to living here is the lack of good produce.

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    I suppose people in Hawaii eat pineapples in preference to oranges
                    They grow fine oranges in Hawaii. Another thing you can stop worrying about.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I raised chickens for several years, but I got tired of having to provide water all winter. If I could let them roam I would still have them. I lost about 10 hens of my first batch to a wolf cross that was wandering around the neighborhood. That only because my fence was only designed to keep the chickens in, not keep wolves out. The eggs were wonderful. My hens had a horse corral to run around in to get fresh greens half the year, but they ate lots of regular old layer pellets.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So, I bought a dozen of the free range eggs at Kroger - not the $9.00 per dozen fancy schmancy ones - but something more along the lines of $3.50 per dozen, and fried some up this morning in our black cast iron Lodge skillet.

I DO declare, they were noticeably more tasty than the standard "dozen eggs" I had been buying, therevore well worth the increase over $1.99 per dozen.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We should keep in mind that scrimping now does not necessarily mean a penny saved is a penny earned in the long run. It's sometimes wise to pay for high quality.

If the egg tastes much better, not only does one enjoy eating it, his health may be better in the long run, if he keeps things up every day.
                          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

The woman who owned my home before my family raised chickens that were so domesticated that they lived in the house during the winter and would jump into your lap like a cat.

However, I'm uncertain if that made the eggs taste better.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                              The woman who owned my home before my family raised chickens that were so domesticated that they lived in the house during the winter and would jump into your lap like a cat.

However, I'm uncertain if that made the eggs taste better.
                              But you didn't have to run out to gather eggs!

We used to have chickens, and my youngest daughter would announce in the morning, "Daddy, I'm gonna go pick eggs".

Comment