Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Matthew's use of Numerology in his geneology of Jesus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew's use of Numerology in his geneology of Jesus.

Vid below

What are your thoughts?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Eh, Matthew certainly deliberately chose 3 groups of 14 names. Not sure how much stock he put in that, other than making the list memorable.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Check out the OT history of the names omitted.

v.8
      Ahaziah see 2 Chr 22:2; 2 Kings 8:26
      Joash see 2 Kings 11:12, 21
      Amaziah see 2 Kings 14:1, 2; 2 Chr 25:1

Those three on the account of Athaliah see 2 Chr 22:10-12.

v.11
      Jehoiakim see 2 Kings 24:34.

It looks like to me those names were omitted [by God] on purpose.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
        Vid below

What are your thoughts?
        The number of 3 x 14 = 42 generations might well allude to the 42 stations of the desert journey, enumerated in Numbers 33.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stations_of_the_Exodus

The 14th station Hazerot could have been the last if the spies wouldn't have brought evil report.

The 42nd an last station was in the plains of Moab, where also Moses had to die.

Gematria of Moab is 49 = 7 x 7, while gematria of Bethlehem , "beitlechem" is 490 = 70 x 7, numbers occurring in Matthew 18:21-22.

The story of Ruth is seemingly also based on these numbers, Ruth who became mother of the Messianic generation, i.e. of David, 14 being gematria of the name David; the Messiah being from "the sperm of David".

Matthew sums up the generations from Abraham to Jesus, thus suggesting that Jesus is "the promised seed" of Genesis 15:5.

This being confirmed in Matthew 12: 43-45,
        He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying, “‘The Lord said to my Lord,
        Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet’?
        If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?”

(Psalms 110 being about Genesis 14, the war ("the mother of all wars") of the four kings against the five where Abra(ha)m gained victory over the four kings in favor of the five with help of his 318 armed trained servants; 318 being gematria of the name Eliezer ("My God is helpmate") -- the only biblical place where gematria comes to the surface).

42 is also gematria of "kochab"= star (if you consider the "vav" as mater lectionis); the star seen by the wise men and that came to stand above the place where Jesus was born.

See :
        http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/show...9734#post69734
        Last edited by Geert van den Bos; 02-23-2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X