PDA

View Full Version : Release of users' data. 2015 02 10

Truthseeker
02-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I read about the release of data on 10 million persons or accounts? The two websites below will check whether you are or have been pwned:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ "no breached accounts and no pastes"
https://pwnedlist.com/ "nope"

I am not pwned according to the reports shown above (between the quotation marks).:yipee:

Cow Poke
02-10-2015, 05:52 PM
How do you know you're not getting scammed by entering your information into a website that claims to know if you've been scammed or not? :huh:

:noid:

Yeah, NOW they have your email address!!!! Not ME! :no:

Irate Canadian
02-10-2015, 05:54 PM
How do you know you're not getting scammed by entering your information into a website that claims to know if you've been scammed or not? :huh:

:noid:

Yeah, NOW they have your email address!!!! Not ME! :no:

I've heard of cases like this before... however haveibeenpwned is safe. It's run by a Microsoft MVP for security and he's posted quite a bit on how he's done so. His name is Troy Hunt.

Cow Poke
02-10-2015, 05:56 PM
I like this part from the "about" section of the website....

How do I know the site isn't just harvesting searched email addresses?

You don't, but it's not. The site is simply intended to be a free service for people to assess risk in relation to their account being caught up in a breach. As with any website, if you're concerned about the intent or security, don't use it.

Trust me! :smile:

Cow Poke
02-10-2015, 05:56 PM
I've heard of cases like this before... however haveibeenpwned is safe. It's run by a Microsoft MVP for security and he's posted quite a bit on how he's done so. His name is Troy Hunt.

:thumb:

Truthseeker
02-10-2015, 07:46 PM
I should have said Kim Komando, the "Queen of computers" suggested those websites. Sorry.

Sparko
02-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Anthem was hacked and lost 80 million records. They said if you are affected they will send you a letter via US Mail. They will NOT send out emails so if you get an email from them about it, it is a scam.