PDA

View Full Version : The "Open" Pyramid - Abu Rowash

Cow Poke
02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
So, we're taught in school that the pyramids were built using dirt ramps and slaves pulling huge stones over rollers.

I'm watching a history channel special on pyramids, and am particularly interested in the one at Abu Rowash, which is on a mountain. This would require the stones be moved, not only up the pyramid, but up the mountain, supposedly debunking the "ropes and rollers" theory. This is along the Nile in the "Band of Peace", North of the Giza Plateau.

Another interesting thing about this pyramid is that is an "open air" pyramid.

Please don't descend into discussions of aliens - teach me something useful!

Boxing Pythagoras
02-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Abu Rawash is located on a plateau. It's not like they were dragging the stones up the side of Kilimanjaro. Here's the Google topo map of the site:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.031944,31.075&q=30.031944,31.075&hl=en&t=p&z=15&output=classic

Cow Poke
02-21-2015, 08:12 AM
OK, this series started out pretty interesting - particularly the "tours" of the various pyramids, and the ABSENCE of "aliens did it".....

... but as it progresses, there's certainly the implication that they had far more advanced technology than we have today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's going in that direction.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the scenery. :shrug:

shunyadragon
02-21-2015, 08:31 AM
So, we're taught in school that the pyramids were built using dirt ramps and slaves pulling huge stones over rollers.

One correction. Not built by slaves.

Cow Poke
02-21-2015, 08:31 AM
One correction. Not built by slaves.

That was another point of contention in the video. :shrug: But I'm correct in my statement that that's what we were taught in school. :tongue:

shunyadragon
02-21-2015, 08:33 AM
OK, this series started out pretty interesting - particularly the "tours" of the various pyramids, and the ABSENCE of "aliens did it".....

... but as it progresses, there's certainly the implication that they had far more advanced technology than we have today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's going in that direction.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the scenery. :shrug:

As far as I could see in the program there was only the usual marveling of the accomplishments of the Egyptians. No alien conspiracies lurking in unknown underground vaults not yet discovered.

Cow Poke
02-21-2015, 08:36 AM
As far as I could see in the program there was only the usual marveling of the accomplishments of the Egyptians. No alien conspiracies lurking in unknown underground vaults not yet discovered.

This one, Shuny, is suggesting that the pyramids were built for the purpose of collecting energy, and suggesting that the "hallways" of the interior of the pyramid were electrified with a magnetic field, of sorts, that would have allowed them to see in the dark without torches.

I should have known when I LATER discovered that this series is called "The Pyramid Code (http://www.pyramidcode.com/)". :shrug:

Boxing Pythagoras
02-21-2015, 09:24 AM
This one, Shuny, is suggesting that the pyramids were built for the purpose of collecting energy, and suggesting that the "hallways" of the interior of the pyramid were electrified with a magnetic field, of sorts, that would have allowed them to see in the dark without torches.

I should have known when I LATER discovered that this series is called "The Pyramid Code (http://www.pyramidcode.com/)". :shrug:Argh. Yet another lovely series from the Pseudo-History Channel...

Cow Poke
02-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Argh. Yet another lovely series from the Pseudo-History Channel...

Yeah, but if you know that going in, there's still plenty of value -- some great scenery and close up views of various aspects of the pyramids.

Juvenal
02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but if you know that going in, there's still plenty of value -- some great scenery and close up views of various aspects of the pyramids.

I love the "pyramid tech" and "aliens did it" shows, personally. They're like a comedy club without the two-drink minimum.

rogue06
02-21-2015, 10:25 AM
I love the "pyramid tech" and "aliens did it" shows, personally. They're like a comedy club without the two-drink minimum.
Generally need a two drink minimum for those type shows.

Cerebrum123
02-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Generally need a two drink minimum for those type shows.

Especially when they start bringing up the Bible, and which books were "banned". :sigh:

Cow Poke
02-21-2015, 01:50 PM

Well, yeah, at first, this didn't appear to be THAT, but then it appears they're building up to that. Besides, they have EX-spurts interviewed who KNOW stuff!

Chrawnus
02-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Argh. Yet another lovely series from the Pseudo-History Channel...

IMO they should just rename it to the Fanfiction Channel. :shrug:

Pentecost
02-22-2015, 08:14 AM
IMO they should just rename it to the Fanfiction Channel. :shrug:

Pardon you! I would watch a channel dedicated to fanfiction, either played straight or a meta example.

Chrawnus
02-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Pardon you! I would watch a channel dedicated to fanfiction, either played straight or a meta example.

Wasn't my meaning to denigrate fanfiction (although it's certainly not my cup of tea). I was simply referring to their tendency for promoting these speculative and often completely wacky ideas about historical events. :shrug: