Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

I heard this on http://www.tekthing.com/ this morning.

Microsoft announced that they will be offering free upgrades to windows 10 from 7 SP1, 8.1, and windows phone 8.1. This is for all versions except Enterprise. You have to sign up via email to get the free upgrade when windows 10 is released.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about (scroll down to the blue band)

from that page:

““It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28732...d-8-users.html (news article about it)

Once upgraded microsoft will also give you free upgrades and updates for the life of the device.

So, sounds like a good deal unless Microsoft screws things up again in future upgrades.

Yup, I'm trying to buy 7 before that happens. It's the cheapest, and most user friendly version I've found right now. Right now I'm still stuck on Vista.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, I am going to just stick with 8.1 until it explodes.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Just a warning: windows 8 and probably 10 does break some software.

For example, I have corel draw X5 (it is a suite of drawing and photediting programs) and it will not work on the one laptop I upgraded to windows 8.1.

So you might need to update some programs or buy new versions after you upgrade to windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

For example, I have corel draw X5 (it is a suite of drawing and photediting programs) and it will not work on the one laptop I upgraded to windows 8.1.

So you might need to update some programs or buy new versions after you upgrade to windows 10.
            Yeah, I have a few old games that might no longer work.

I wonder if there's something like DOSBox* that would run them.

*They aren't that old, but they are no longer supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Yup, I'm trying to buy 7 before that happens. It's the cheapest, and most user friendly version I've found right now. Right now I'm still stuck on Vista.
              Since I can't get XP anymore I try to stick with 7. One of the larger outlets for computers I deal with had completely stopped selling Win 7 machines, then suddenly started again. MicroCentre, last time I checked, had MORE Win 7 computers available than Win 8.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Since I can't get XP anymore I try to stick with 7. One of the larger outlets for computers I deal with had completely stopped selling Win 7 machines, then suddenly started again. MicroCentre, last time I checked, had MORE Win 7 computers available than Win 8.
                [Truthseeker] It's a conspiracy![/Truthseeker]

Comment

[Truthseeker] It's a conspiracy![/Truthseeker]

It's NOT?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Been checking out the Technical Preview via virtual machine as new builds have been released; definitely an improvement over 8/8.1 but not much over 7. I've signed up for the e-mail when the retail of 10 is released; might upgrade my lappy and Mr. mossy's desktop which both use 8.1 but not my desktop or mossy's lappy which both use 7. I'll see how that works when the time comes.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                      might upgrade my lappy and Mr. mossy's desktop
                      Does he exist? For REAL? Be honest!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

This is what VM's are for.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          This is what VM's are for.
                          That's like an emulator, right?

Comment

That's like an emulator, right?
                            Virtual Machine - you can create whole environments and run 'em and play in the sandbox, then just delete them or clone them or...

yeah

Comment

I think there was a discussion about virtual machines in the Windows 10 Technical Preview thread that I started a while back. To sum up and reiterate what I say there, I think virtual machines are wonderful things.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment