Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Yogurt and sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogurt and sugar

I didn't realize plain yogurt had so much sugar! I had my wife get me some, thinking I could blend some granola in to make a lower sugar food; nope, a cup of yogurt has 9 grams of sugar. As sour as it is!

So much for that idea. I save a bit but not that much. Granola plus yogurt = 15 grams, while the blended fruit ones are like upwards of 19. Very minor savings.
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Been there, done that. I tried to go on a low-sugar diet this summer. Unfortunately almost all dairy foods have significant sugars, except for butter and some cheeses. I try to have things like scrambled eggs, sausage, homemade bread or whole-wheat English muffins (~1g sugar) for breakfast.

Comment

if you can get yogurt without sugar, you could use Stevia extract. Look for one without alcohol.

Comment

If I am going to eat something with a lot of sugar, I try to eat something with a lot of protein along with it. My blood sugar levels do funny things if I eat a whole donut without a couple pieces of breakfast sausage and an egg or two in the same meal.
        You can probably find some low-sugar or unsweetened yogurt and mix a little honey into it. Try to stay away from artificial sweeteners. Also, granola is generally nuggets of sugar and fat and is not actually nutritious. If you want some crunch, try wheat germ and/or chopped nuts.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          if you can get yogurt without sugar, you could use Stevia extract. Look for one without alcohol.
          I have tried stevia powder and for me it had a slightly bitter aftertaste, but not everyone can taste that. I've not tried the liquid extract. Another good alternative (which I have not tried in yogurt) is xylitol.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Stevia works well, though if you are allergic to things like ragweed you may be allergic to stevia. I'm allergic to both and had breathing problems when I was using stevia. From what I've read about it, it's the best sweetener out there though as far as overall health/nutrition goes.

Comment

Yep, yogurt isn't the dieters choice, if you want fast results. I have bullet proof coffee for breakfast and I use xylitol sprinkled on top of the foamy head for my morning sweet stuff. Great drink for getting started, high in protein and good fats.

Comment

Would love fast results, but don't need them--would love for 20lb to magically disappear, but that ain't happening.

This fall I went on a crash diet with zero sugar to see if I could fix a problem I was having. I was not calorie limited, just sugar limited. No sugar, no fruit and certainly no yogurt. I since added in "reasonable" amounts of sugar, but even now I'm amazed at how much sugar stuff has in it. For example, yesterday I had the yogurt (9gm) + granola (6gm); my "recommended" daily intake as per myfitnesspal is 35gm. I had a box of raisens and that was 20gm! All told I was over 60gm for the day, and the only table sugar I had was two teaspoons in my coffee (one per cup) and the sugar in the granola; the rest was either lactose or fructose.

I might have to give up fruit on the days where I don't exercise heavily.
                No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

You can buy some brands of yogurt with low sugar, but they are hard to find. First ignore the low or no fat labels. Fat does not make you fat. Sugar is actually a necessary ingredient for the making of yogurt. The problem is how much?

I found that making my own yogurt and controlling the amount of sugar in it was the best way to go. I will post my recipe next. In general making many things at home and controlling the ingredients tends to improve the quality and control over content of sugar and other carbohydrates.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Yeah, the "no fat" is hype! I look at the products that proudly proclaim "low fat" or "NO fat", and read the label to find 27 grams of sugar, etc... WOW

And, even more interesting, some of the products list the "serving size" as HALF of whatever is in the bottle or package -- and the "grams of sugar" is per serving. So, if you drink / eat the whole thing (and often that's quite manageable, and the "serving size" is ridiculously low) you get TWO TIMES the sugar on the label.

So, yeah!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I lost 30 pounds since I started eating yogurt at the advice of my doctor. And my blood sugar is doing great.

I eat Yoplait or Dannon Greek low fat yogurt, 80 calories, 2 or three servings per day between meals.

Comment

Wow congrats Sparky!!! As for the yogurt sugar. Its Milk Sugar aka Lactose. They have to label it. All milk has sugar in it. A little lactose especially once its been fermented is actually good for you. The amount in a cup of plain yogurt is the equivalent of two teaspoons of table sugar only lactose is a double bond chain making it a disaccharide or "complex" sugar. Its technically "good" for you. Its also more than just a sugar, once its fermented it contains the friendly bacteria your gut needs. Add a little granola, some blueberries or other fruit and chow down.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          The amount in a cup of plain yogurt is the equivalent of two teaspoons of table sugar only lactose is a double bond chain making it a disaccharide or "complex" sugar.
                          Just for information, sucrose (table sugar) is also a disaccharide.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Just for information, sucrose (table sugar) is also a disaccharide.
                            Yes, but for some reason, Lactose doesn't break down or absorb as quickly as sucrose does. I think because it takes longer to break down into glucose.
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Yeah, the "no fat" is hype! I look at the products that proudly proclaim "low fat" or "NO fat", and read the label to find 27 grams of sugar, etc... WOW

And, even more interesting, some of the products list the "serving size" as HALF of whatever is in the bottle or package -- and the "grams of sugar" is per serving. So, if you drink / eat the whole thing (and often that's quite manageable, and the "serving size" is ridiculously low) you get TWO TIMES the sugar on the label.

So, yeah!
                              Right on! Good post!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X