Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression

I've been going through a bout of depression lately; it's far from clinical, but it's more intense than the usual "blues" I sometimes get. I find it's making it hard to get motivated to do things I need to do. Prayers would be appreciated.

I suffer from clinical depression, so I know what you mean about being unmotivated.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Comment

The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

ing

I have battled depression so I do understand how hard it is but one of the first steps to getting better is doing stuff. Get out of the house and find something to do. Walk in the park, volunteer, aggravate the neighbor's dog until they yell at you - anything is better than sitting there, even though you don't feel up to it.

We love you, Kid.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks Teal and everyone.

I really appreciate all the support and I don't won't anyone to worry about me. Like I said, my depression is far from clinical, but it's more intense than I'm used to.

I think it's due to a combination of internal and external factors. I suffer from seasonal affective disorder, so I'm usually mildly depressed until the start of spring weather. I've also struggled with intrusive thoughts my whole life, and I've been dealing with a particularly nasty onslaught these past few months. Finally, I recently graduated from school and won't be going back to work until the end of the month, so right now I feel like my life has stalled.

Basically, I feel like the world outside is dead, my life has been put on hold, and I have nothing to do with my time but dwell on the troublesome thoughts bombarding my internal monologue (intellectually I realize that's not true, but that's how it feels).

Comment

Hope you feel better.. have you ever considered audiobooks? Sometimes letting your mind rest and listen to a good story is very therapeutic
              "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

I have been there myself, at least with the depression and demotivation.

Comment

Praying for you Ivo.

And always when someone is battling depression, I like to offer this resource which is having a hugely impact in helping people in NZ battling depression
                  http://www.depression.org.nz/
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
                    Thanks Teal and everyone.

I really appreciate all the support and I don't won't anyone to worry about me. Like I said, my depression is far from clinical, but it's more intense than I'm used to.

I think it's due to a combination of internal and external factors. I suffer from seasonal affective disorder, so I'm usually mildly depressed until the start of spring weather. I've also struggled with intrusive thoughts my whole life, and I've been dealing with a particularly nasty onslaught these past few months. Finally, I recently graduated from school and won't be going back to work until the end of the month, so right now I feel like my life has stalled.

Basically, I feel like the world outside is dead, my life has been put on hold, and I have nothing to do with my time but dwell on the troublesome thoughts bombarding my internal monologue (intellectually I realize that's not true, but that's how it feels).

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Having plenty of blue light indoors where you are may help your seasonal affective disorder. Costco in the USA were selling blue light lamps the last time I was there.
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I'm going through it too and I can't explain it.

Comment

Everyone struggles with intrusive thoughts (those who actually try to combat them, at any rate). We wrestle not against flesh and blood...
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I just read that gluten may be a big factor in depression. Because of various breeding techniques, the amount of gluten in foods are at record levels today.

You could at least check yourself for gluten intolerance. Try to cut out gluten from your diet completely and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks again everyone!

I'm actually feeling somewhat better now. I'd reached a nadir when I posted the OP.

I think the main thing that's bothering me now is the intrusive thoughts. I'm aware of the standard advice not to engage them, to ignore, to just let them "blip" through my mind; however, I find it almost impossible to do that in practice. So if you could pray that I'd have some peace in that regard, I'd be very grateful.

Comment