Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Anyone up for a Wikipedia race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a Wikipedia race?

I first learned about this from one of Kelp's threads on the old forum, but since he doesn't seem to post much anymore I figured I start one in his honor. Basically, you think of two different topics that you know both have articles on Wikipedia*, and then you try to get from the first article to the second only by clicking on the embedded links within each page. Ordinarily, the winner would be determined by who can complete the journey the quickest, but since competing in real time isn't really feasible on this site, the winner will be whoever finishes in the fewest number of clicks. So if you participate, just list all the links that you clicked on while completing the task. To make this fun and challenging, you want to pick topics that are completely unrelated. You'd be surprised at how quickly some of these can be accomplished. As an example, I picked "bacon" and "existentialism," which went something like this:

Bacon-->Old French-->French Renaissance-->French Renaissance literature-->Existentialism (it was listed in a column on the right side of the page)

Obviously, you're not allowed to get from one page to another by typing anything into the search bar in the upper right-hand corner, nor are you allowed to edit any pages and create links.

To start things off, I propose "polenta" and "Vladimir Putin" as the opening topics.

*You can also do this with movies and actors/actresses on IMBD
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Polenta
    Russian language
    Russia
    Vladimir Putin
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, that seems to be the quickest route for those two topics. Next two: "Grease (lubricant)" and "Greece"

Also, feel free to add your own suggested topics if you post in this thread.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Grease (lubricant)
        Thixotropy
        Ancient Greek
        Greece

Vertebrate -> Democracy

Comment

Vertebrate
          Latin
          Croatia
          Republic
          Democracy

^ it might be possible in 4 but I didn't find it.

John the Evangelist to Taco Bell

Edit: It took me 7 links.
          Last edited by Pentecost; 03-03-2015, 04:19 AM.
          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

John the Evangelist
            White
            Caucasian race
            Hispanic
            Latin American cuisine
            Taco
            Taco Bell

Next up:

Sombrero
            The Wizard of Oz (1939 film)
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Sombrero
              Western Wear
              Singing cowboys
              Warner Brothers
              Major Film Studio
              Metro Goldwyn Mayer
              The Wizard of Oz

Next:
              Knight
              George Soros
              Last edited by Darth Executor; 03-03-2015, 09:29 AM.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                Vertebrate
                Latin
                Croatia
                Republic
                Democracy

^ it might be possible in 4 but I didn't find it.
                Vertebrate
                Saltwater Crocodile
                Thailand
                Democracy

John the Evangelist to Taco Bell
                John the Evangelist
                Catholic Church
                Calles Law
                Mexico
                Taco
                Taco Bell
                Last edited by Darth Executor; 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Grease (lubricant)->olive oil-> Greece
                  Vertebrate->Pliny->Plato->Democracy
                  John the Evangelist-> Last Supper-> Eucharist->Gluten->Maize->Taco->Taco Bell
                  John the Evangelist -> El Greco -> Mexico City -> Mexico-> Taco-> Taco Bell
                  Sombrero->Western United States->Cinema of the United States->The Wizard of Oz (1939 film)
                  Knight->United Kingdom->Pound Sterling-> George Soros

Cuticle-> Quasar
                  Last edited by Paprika; 03-03-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Cuticle
                    Homology (biology)
                    Biology
                    Natural science
                    Astronomy
                    Quasar

Denver-->osteoporosis

Comment