Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

For Discussion: Auckland bar denies pregnant teacher a drink (sparkling wine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Discussion: Auckland bar denies pregnant teacher a drink (sparkling wine)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11419185
    Source: NZ Herald

A heavily pregnant woman is flabbergasted at being refused a single glass of sparkling wine on her wedding anniversary last night at an Auckland restaurant.

Nichola Hayes and her husband Michael were looking forward to a rare night out just weeks before she is due to give birth to the couple's second child.

They chose Mac's Brewbar at the Nuffield Street Trading Company in Newmarket where Mrs Hayes asked for a glass of wine with pizza while her husband opted for beer.

But Mrs Hayes was "completely flabbergasted and embarrassed" when a waitress denied her service on the basis of her pregnancy.

"One glass of bubbles for a consenting non-intoxicated adult at at advanced state of pregnancy," she told the Herald today.

"I do see both sides of the story but at the same time many women drink within the first three months of pregnancy without knowing they are pregnant and when the foetus is at its most vulnerable.

"I think it is very much a grey area and would be interested in what other bars do in this situation."

Mrs Hayes, who is 36.5 weeks pregnant, said the waitress initially thought she wanted a soda and tried to list options for those.

"I then pointed out to her the drink I would like from the menu; she went away and came back a few minutes later and said she thought she had misunderstood me and asked if I was pregnant.

"I said, yes, and she said she was uncomfortable serving pregnant women alcohol."

The couple then spoke to the duty manager who Mrs Hayes said told them it was his licence under which the restaurant was operating "and he could refuse to serve me alcohol at his discretion for health reasons.

"He said that at his bar manager training it was stressed they were not to serve alcohol [to pregnant women]."

Mrs Hayes said she felt the establishment was "pushing the boundary of host responsibility and being just a little bit too cautious".

"If I was in their shoes and a woman who was pregnant was ordering up large, I'd be questioning it as well," she said.

"But I'm an educated woman who knows the limits and have been so careful throughout the whole pregnancy.

"I thought right, this is our one night out, I'd have one glass of bubbles - I wouldn't do anything more than that."

Although feeling deflated, she said it would have been too much trouble finding another restaurant with a more pragmatic alcohol policy so she stayed and appreciated at least being served a complimentary ginger beer.

Mrs Hayes, who has a 19-month daughter, said she had researched the issue of alcohol during pregnancy and found contradictory scientific views.

"Some say don't drink at all and some say [doing it] in moderation is fine," she said.

"I've got friends who've had a glass of wine, even beer, for the iron content - stout or something like that with a lot of minerals in it.

"I think it's individual choice, but definitely I wouldn't advocate drinking much during pregnancy - in fact I haven't had anything."

Mr Hayes confirmed that his wife had been "extremely cautious during her pregnancy, looking after her baby".

"We felt we were informed parents deciding on a single drink."

He wondered where the restaurant might draw the line, and what's its policy may be toward breast-feeding mothers asking for a drink.

The bar's manager told the Herald he could not comment before referring the matter to his company's operations manager, but expected a response would be forthcoming this afternoon.

© Copyright Original Source

What do you think?
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Ridiculous.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Ridiculous.
      I agree that refusing someone asking for the one glass is ridiculous.

But, for arguments sake, what if you knew it was her third or fourth?

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Ridiculous.
        It's not reasonable?
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          I agree that refusing someone asking for the one glass is ridiculous.

But, for arguments sake, what if you knew it was her third or fourth?
          If it has been enough that they have legitimate concerns about her sobriety then they have good cause to intervene. If they are just concerned about fetal health they can bring it to her attention. They aren't culpable for her stupidity nor should they be. Absent reasonabe grounds to suspect or anticipate imminent harm, they should mind their own business. In the US it would be legal suicide - she could sue for fetal harm from anything they do provide her, were the fetus abnormal and some idiot study showed some linkage, however remote.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
            It's not reasonable?
            No. Who are you again?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If it has been enough that they have legitimate concerns about her sobriety then they have good cause to intervene. If they are just concerned about fetal health they can bring it to her attention. They aren't culpable for her stupidity nor should they be. Absent reasonable grounds to suspect or anticipate imminent harm, they should mind their own business.
              NZ Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act of 2012, already restricts bars from selling to people who are clearly intoxicated.
              But fair enough.

In the US it would be legal suicide - she could sue for fetal harm from anything they do provide her, were the fetus abnormal and some idiot study showed some linkage, however remote.
              By that argument, could someone not sue a bar for selling them alcohol if it has caused foetal alcohol syndrome?

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

No. Who are you again?
                meh I wouldn't know anything about babies and alcohol and the whole it's time to give birth thing.
                I was just wondering tis all.
                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  NZ Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act of 2012, already restricts bars from selling to people who are clearly intoxicated.
                  But fair enough.

By that argument, could someone not sue a bar for selling them alcohol if it has caused foetal alcohol syndrome?
                  No, it's a peculiarity of US law - showing that level of care makes them more responsible for the person. It actually makes sense in proper context. This is just a side effect.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                    meh I wouldn't know anything about babies and alcohol and the whole it's time to give birth thing.
                    I was just wondering tis all.
                    I'm sorry, CM. I thought you were kidding around.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

An older woman I work with said that with her last baby the doctor told her to have a glass of wine when she went into labor.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        An older woman I work with said that with her last baby the doctor told her to have a glass of wine when she went into labor.
                        He must have seen how she handled the previous bout of labor.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

If it has been enough that they have legitimate concerns about her sobriety then they have good cause to intervene. If they are just concerned about fetal health they can bring it to her attention. They aren't culpable for her stupidity nor should they be. Absent reasonabe grounds to suspect or anticipate imminent harm, they should mind their own business. In the US it would be legal suicide - she could sue for fetal harm from anything they do provide her, were the fetus abnormal and some idiot study showed some linkage, however remote.
                          . I was just thinking about the fear of lawsuits.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            As Franklin D. Roosevelt said, the only thing we have to fear is the fear of lawsuits.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Very different legal situation here in NZ. If there are any medical complications like that they would probably be covered via ACC or WINZ.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X