PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for the sacking of Jerusalem

I am Ivo, hear me roar
03-25-2015, 11:45 AM
A while ago I encountered someone who thought that the Romans used the Zealot uprising as an excuse to sack Jerusalem in A.D. 70, and that Rome just "wanted to do that anyway."

The person who said this isn't a historian or scholar and I was curious if actual scholarship supported this contention at all.

Cow Poke
03-25-2015, 02:15 PM
I remember just recently reading something about this when I was looking at Titus --- I think I remember which commentary that was.

I'll come back when I find it.

mossrose
03-25-2015, 02:55 PM
The Romans sacked Jerusalem in 70 AD to fulfill prophecy from Jesus' own lips.

No other reason matters.

shunyadragon
05-01-2015, 09:31 PM
The Romans sacked Jerusalem in 70 AD to fulfill prophecy from Jesus' own lips.

No other reason matters.

Written sometime ~70 to 150 AD

alaskazimm
05-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Written sometime ~70 to 150 AD

Prophesied sometime ~30 - 33 AD

One Bad Pig
05-02-2015, 12:52 PM
The Romans sacked Jerusalem because the Jews revolted, and Jerusalem was their holy city.

OldHat
05-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Prophesied sometime ~30 - 33 AD

That oral teaching. :wink:

alaskazimm
05-03-2015, 11:12 AM

:yes:

mikewhitney
05-03-2015, 12:10 PM

Yes it would seem to be given by Jesus by speaking it rather than, say, telepathicaly

James Cusick
04-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Reasons for the sacking of Jerusalem
A while ago I encountered someone who thought that the Romans used the Zealot uprising as an excuse to sack Jerusalem in A.D. 70, and that Rome just "wanted to do that anyway."

The person who said this isn't a historian or scholar and I was curious if actual scholarship supported this contention at all.
I would agree that the Romans would use any excuse to sack Jerusalem or any other place, as the Romans were brute beast of humanity who lived by the sword and the Romans were cruel and barbaric in the extreme.

Even if the Zealots were just a small gang or only a few rebels then Rome would still be happy to sack Jerusalem for any reason.

They looted the place and took the gold and treasures which was always a motivation for the Roman military machine.

Of course every person had to know that, so the Zealots knew that Rome would respond with extreme violence.

Even taking the fortress of Masada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Masada) was an insane or desperate act because Rome was never going to let any opposition to hold Masada.