PDA

View Full Version : Sochi - should they just cancel it?

Sparko
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
After reading and seeing the horror stories from the reporters about the hotel rooms and such, it makes me worried for the athletes.

If they can't even supply reporters and athletes with decent accommodations and essentials like food and water, how dangerous are the events going to be? Will the ski jumps and bob sledding tracks collapse?

A couple of athletes have already injured themselves just in practicing and at least one guy withdrew saying the ski slope track was unsafe.

I think they should just pull out altogether and start over next year somewhere else.

DesertBerean
02-06-2014, 08:45 AM
No. We didn't cancel ours in Utah which was right after 9/11.

Sparko
02-06-2014, 09:03 AM
When you are a reporter at the Sochi Olympics you stay in a hotel room without potable water. When you try to drink the non-potable water anyway, you die and become a zombie. When you die and become a zombie, you attack the athletes you are supposed to be interviewing and eat their brains. When you attack the athletes and eat their brains they become zombies too and all the athletic zombies return to the USA where they sign up for Obamacare.

Don't become a sochi zombie and sign up for Obamacare. Cancel the Olympics instead.

Cow Poke
02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Just, WHATEVER you do, for Sochi sakes, DON'T -- I say DON'T -- watch the Olympics on CABLE!!!!! :egad:

Teallaura
02-06-2014, 10:35 AM
What, and not have curling for another year?!?!?! :shocked:

KingsGambit
02-06-2014, 10:39 AM
I thought the US should have boycotted in Beijing due to China's abysmal human rights record. Of course, there probably would have been some massive economic boomeranging from such a decision.

Teallaura
02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Boycotting the Olympics is counter-productive. Leaving aside that the intent was to bring nations together to do something minus shooting each other and thereby fostering greater mutual understanding, the US tends to dominate (being a big, wealthy nation helps a lot) - and being embarrassed in the sports arena has political value - probably more than the not bothering to show up thing does.

Darth Executor
02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I thought the US should have boycotted in Beijing due to China's abysmal human rights record. Of course, there probably would have been some massive economic boomeranging from such a decision.

Considering the prevalence of abortion in the West, if people were to consistently boycott nations for their human rights record there would be no point in holding the Olympics anymore.

Cow Poke
02-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Boycotting the Olympics is counter-productive. Leaving aside that the intent was to bring nations together to do something minus shooting each other and thereby fostering greater mutual understanding, the US tends to dominate (being a big, wealthy nation helps a lot) - and being embarrassed in the sports arena has political value - probably more than the not bothering to show up thing does.

We had a story on the news last night from a man who was all ready to go to the Olympics in Russia back in 1980. It went into all the training he went through, the dedication, the YEARS of 9 hours a day practice... all down the tubes because Jimmy Carter decided we would boycott. VERY interesting story.

Sparko
02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
who said "boycott?" I said cancel. I mean by the Olympic committee. better to cancel then have a disaster where athletes are seriously injured or killed.

KingsGambit
02-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Considering the prevalence of abortion in the West, if people were to consistently boycott nations for their human rights record there would be no point in holding the Olympics anymore.

I'd love to see that happen. Attention for the cause.

Cow Poke
02-06-2014, 11:53 AM
who said "boycott?" I said cancel. I mean by the Olympic committee. better to cancel then have a disaster where athletes are seriously injured or killed.

Teal said boycott, and I LIKE her! :glare:

ManwŰ S˙limo
02-06-2014, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEeJJVZ5P8

Jedidiah
02-06-2014, 12:25 PM

Yeah.

Jedidiah
02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Well I am not going.

Sparko
02-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Just remember, I warned you about the zombies first.

Cow Poke
02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Well I am not going.

Me, too, neither, Jed. Let's not go together!

mossrose
02-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Aren't there some terrorist issues they have been having over there as well?

Seriously, I don't care about any sports, and didn't even know where Sochi is until I had coffee with a friend last week who met her husband (another Canadian) at one of the international hockey games in Russia in the early 70's. This friend used to be a nun......but I digress.......

Anywho, she told me that there were some terror issues going on over there, too.

:nsm:

Teallaura
02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
There have been credible terrorist threats, yes.

rogue06
02-06-2014, 04:27 PM
After reading and seeing the horror stories from the reporters about the hotel rooms and such, it makes me worried for the athletes.

If they can't even supply reporters and athletes with decent accommodations and essentials like food and water, how dangerous are the events going to be? Will the ski jumps and bob sledding tracks collapse?

A couple of athletes have already injured themselves just in practicing and at least one guy withdrew saying the ski slope track was unsafe.

I think they should just pull out altogether and start over next year somewhere else.
Is there an Olympics going on?

Jedidiah
02-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Is there an Olympics going on?

I learned about it here.

Sparko
02-07-2014, 05:25 AM
I learned about it here.

they should add bee racing and bacon eating to the summer olympics.

thewriteranon
02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
The winter Olympics never has anything interesting anyway.

Catholicity
02-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I like the figure skating, the bob sledding, and the speed skaters. They're cool.

Cow Poke
02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
What's that thing where they slide the tea kettle down a runway, and it tries to get in the way of their sweeping?

Teallaura
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Curling! It's my favorite sport to watch!!!! Guys chasing big rocks with brooms on ice - what's not to love?!

Cow Poke
02-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Curling! It's my favorite sport to watch!!!! Guys chasing big rocks with brooms on ice - what's not to love?!

Now, hold on just a minute, Missy --- that's not what I see --- the one I'm talkin about, the tea kettle rock is chasing the guys with the brooms! :glare:

Teallaura
02-07-2014, 03:31 PM
You've never seen the start them - first they have to catch up, then it follows them. :smile:

:yipee: Curling starts Monday!!!!

seanD
02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Is it me or am I the only one seeing the obvious cold war 2.0 propaganda? The latest fearmongering hysteria is al-qaeda attacking Sochi tourists with toothpaste bombs lol.

Cow Poke
02-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Is it me

yes

seanD
02-07-2014, 05:51 PM
yes

From anti-gay to toothpaste bombs lol. To me it looks freaking ridiculous. So you're buying into this bull?

Cow Poke
02-07-2014, 06:38 PM
From anti-gay to toothpaste bombs lol. To me it looks freaking ridiculous. So you're buying into this bull?

No

thewriteranon
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
All hail Mother Russia.