Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Would Obama be Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Obama be Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize Today?

Let's bypass the argument that Obama was or was not a legitimate candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.

For background, from Wiki (feel free to cite more legitimate sources)....

[cite tags don't work]The 2009 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to U.S. President Barack Obama for his "extraordinary efforts" to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.[1] The Norwegian Nobel Committee announced the award on October 9, 2009, citing Obama's promotion of nuclear nonproliferation[2] and a "new climate" in international relations fostered by Obama, especially in reaching out to the Muslim world.[3][4]

The Nobel Committee's decision drew mixed reactions from US commentators and editorial writers across the political spectrum, as well as from the rest of the world.[/I wish they did]

If he were being considered TODAY, would he be awarded the Peace Prize?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The Nobel Peace Prize has been a joke lately anyway. Al Gore? Yassir Arafat? Given the tortured logic involved in them winning, I can't say I'd be surprised if he would be awarded it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      The Nobel Peace Prize has been a joke lately anyway. Al Gore? Yassir Arafat? Given the tortured logic involved in them winning, I can't say I'd be surprised if he would be awarded it.
      Wow, OBP... um... what more can I say?

This thread can now be closed.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think it was given more in the hope that they'll do actions worthy of the prize rather than because they had done anything worthy of it.
        "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
          I think it was given more in the hope that they'll do actions worthy of the prize rather than because they had done anything worthy of it.
          Well, yeah, but like OBP said... I guess it HAS become more of a joke.

Comment

Vaclav Havel (the guy who led the completely peaceful successful revolution against Communism in this country and became it's first post-Communist president) said that if he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, he would refuse it because he didn't want to be placed in the same category as Arafat.
            --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Sort of like Henry Morgantaler being awarded the Order of Canada, which is this nation's highest honour.

He was responsible for millions of abortions in Canada through his clinics all over the country.

Makes me sick.

The Peace Prize is a joke these days.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah!

(you knew that was coming, didn't ya )

Comment

Yeah.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Come to think if it, this is even worse than the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality of the liberals. It takes away the specialness of winning something.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Come to think if it, this is even worse than the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality of the liberals. It takes away the specialness of winning something.
                      It certainly does away with the reasons of good and help for mankind in these kind of awards.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        It certainly does away with the reasons of good and help for mankind in these kind of awards.
                        Did you know that the Nobel Peace Prize came about as a result of the invention of dynamite*?

*ballistite

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Did you know that the Nobel Peace Prize came about as a result of the invention of dynamite*?

*ballistite
                          I think I knew that, but had forgotten. Which makes me question the entire thing!

Although, without dynamite we wouldn't have the railroad through the mountains, so I guess it was okay.

Comment

Yeah!

Comment

Even if the Nobel Peace Prize and Order of Canada and like things have become a joke (or worse), at least we can be assured that our God will not do so.

Comment