PDA

View Full Version : Posting vs not posting

Zymologist
04-23-2015, 08:28 AM
I find myself frequently starting a post in some thread, getting a sentence or so in, and then just axing the whole thing because either:

1. my thought isn't fully formed, or
2. I begin to have second thoughts about the blunt or sarcastic nature of it, or
3. I just realize that I don't really want to involve myself in a debate on the subject.

Does this happen to anyone else? I start and then just delete a lot more posts than I actually click Submit on. Sometimes I wonder what my posting history would look like if I was more reckless (though I don't really want to find out).

One Bad Pig
04-23-2015, 08:34 AM
I occasionally start a response only to reconsider and not bother posting it, and every once in a while I'll delete something after posting. I do, however, frequently edit an initial response before posting it.

thewriteranon
04-23-2015, 08:44 AM
I wrote an entire response in French once and then decided nah. I didn't really want to get into that.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Well, I have given this a lot of thought and this is what I ... oh never mind.

mossrose
04-23-2015, 09:10 AM
I was going to post here and then decided not to.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 09:17 AM
With certain posters, like Tassman, or Whag, or Firstfloor, etc, I will start to get drawn into answering their posts and might even answer them once or twice, but as soon as it is clear that they are just trolling, or just are not really interested in an answer, I will just stop and not reply to them any more.

Zymologist
04-23-2015, 09:22 AM
With certain posters, like Tassman, or Whag, or Firstfloor, etc, I will start to get drawn into answering their posts and might even answer them once or twice, but as soon as it is clear that they are just trolling, or just are not really interested in an answer, I will just stop and not reply to them any more.

See, I just typed out a response to you, and then deleted it without even thinking of the irony.

I'm actually surprised that my post count is as high as it is.

Chrawnus
04-23-2015, 09:26 AM
I find myself frequently starting a post in some thread, getting a sentence or so in, and then just axing the whole thing because either:

2. I begin to have second thoughts about the blunt or sarcastic nature of it, or
3. I just realize that I don't really want to involve myself in a debate on the subject.

Does this happen to anyone else? I start and then just delete a lot more posts than I actually click Submit on. Sometimes I wonder what my posting history would look like if I was more reckless (though I don't really want to find out).

You just described my life on TWeb to a T.

Spooky. :uhoh:

Zymologist
04-23-2015, 09:27 AM
You just described my life on TWeb to a T.

Spooky. :uhoh:

Even our join dates and post counts are very similar...spooky indeed.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 09:30 AM
See, I just typed out a response to you, and then deleted it without even thinking of the irony.

I'm actually surprised that my post count is as high as it is.

tl;dr

Zymologist
04-23-2015, 09:34 AM
tl;dr

At first I didn't post, and then I did.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 09:43 AM
At first I didn't post, and then I did..

Jedidiah
04-23-2015, 09:53 AM

Insightful.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Insightful.

I am not posting here.

Littlejoe
04-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Yes...:nsm:

Catholicity
04-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Umm. Idk I just post when I feel like it. I think about it before I hit the reply button cause as a woman once I open my keyboard I don't close it.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Someone once gave me good advice (that I rarely follow) - before replying (he was talking about email but I think it goes for posting too) wait 10 minutes and give it some thought. Then reply (or not)
It gives you time to consider your answer, their post, and let your emotions calm down.

oh (and this one is important) and when you make a reply (to someone) try not to use a lot (like more than one set) of parenthesis [or brackets] or it makes your posts harder to read (and understand). But use lot's of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because they are cheap and make you sound like a nut!!!

thewriteranon
04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Trying to respond to certain things just ends up making me tired.

Sparko
04-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Trying to respond to certain things just ends up making me tired.That's because it is hard to type wearing pink mittens.

thewriteranon
04-23-2015, 12:42 PM
That's because it is hard to type wearing pink mittens.

I know this is a joke, but trying to respond just made me tired.

Teallaura
04-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Even our join dates and post counts are very similar...spooky indeed.
Just admit you two are each other's sock puppets.

Zymologist
04-23-2015, 01:05 PM

But if he's my sock puppet, and I'm his sock puppet, then who's really in control?

Edit: Recursive sock puppetry FTW.

Zymologist
04-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Someone once gave me good advice (that I rarely follow) - before replying (he was talking about email but I think it goes for posting too) wait 10 minutes and give it some thought. Then reply (or not)
It gives you time to consider your answer, their post, and let your emotions calm down.

I use something like this for work emails. I'll type out a reply to a client, and then often let it sit in the background for 30 minutes or so, and then give it another readthrough. I've caught some mistakes and generally poor communication that way.

Teallaura
04-23-2015, 01:18 PM
I use something like this for work emails. I'll type out a reply to a client, and then often let it sit in the background for 30 minutes or so, and then give it another readthrough. I've caught some mistakes and generally poor communication that way.On things where I'm really upset or concerned, I type it in the WP first. Read it the next day THEN, if it's okay, C&P it into an email and send it.

pancreasman
04-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Very true for me. I've deleted quite a few posts. Usually the question I ask myself is 'Will this advance the conversation?'

Chrawnus
04-23-2015, 06:51 PM

But if he's my sock puppet, and I'm his sock puppet, then who's really in control?

Edit: Recursive sock puppetry FTW.

Not only am I Zymologist's sockpuppet, I write CP's posts as well. :smug:

Chrawnus
04-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Jaden Smith, is that you? :huh:

rogue06
04-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Not only am I Zymologist's sockpuppet, I write CP's posts as well. :smug:
Only the misspelled ones.

Chrawnus
04-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Only the misspelled ones.

:glare:

I'll have you know that I'm simlpy imcapble of misspleing words.

thewriteranon
04-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Can someone write my posts? It's all making me sad and tired lately.

Zymologist
04-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Jaden Smith, is that you? :huh:

Ok, you'll have to explain it to me....

Christianbookworm
04-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Everyone is everybody's sock puppet!

One Bad Pig
04-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Close. We are all Dee Dee.

Sparko
04-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Don't look now, but you don't exist. I am your sockpuppet.

Chrawnus
04-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Ok, you'll have to explain it to me....

Will Smith's son Jaden is known for posting bizarre faux-philosophical messages on Twitter such as "How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real". Your post reminded me of his tweets. :tongue:

Chrawnus
04-24-2015, 03:29 PM

I'm my own sock puppet.

Jedidiah
04-24-2015, 09:29 PM
I am not even on this forum. And I do not have any socks.

One Bad Pig
04-25-2015, 07:46 PM
I am not even on this forum. And I do not have any socks.

:shrug: As long as you've got skivvies.

Teallaura
04-25-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm my own sock puppet.
That's cheating.

Chrawnus
04-25-2015, 09:00 PM
That's cheating.

:rasberry:

thewriteranon
04-25-2015, 09:01 PM
I can't find any of my socks and the ones I did find have holes in them.

Zymologist
05-05-2015, 07:55 AM
I can't find any of my socks and the ones I did find have holes in them.

But if your socks didn't have holes in them, then how could you put them on?

Littlejoe
05-05-2015, 08:06 AM
I'm finding it harder and harder to post in serious threads. Honestly, I erase more than I post lately...I just can't seem to engage anymore. I think it's just too many past debates, that end up with one or both sides hand waving away anything they don't like, because to do anything else means they have to accept defeat.

Cerebrum123
05-05-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm finding it harder and harder to post in serious threads. Honestly, I erase more than I post lately...I just can't seem to engage anymore. I think it's just too many past debates, that end up with one or both sides hand waving away anything they don't like, because to do anything else means they have to accept defeat.

I feel like that a lot too. :yes:

Darth Xena
05-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Close. We are all Dee Dee.

So triggered.