Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Fish Tale - and Fishers of Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fish Tale - and Fishers of Men

I am absolutely astounded at how offended some Christians get when you ask them if they're a soul winner or not. It's like it's taboo to ask such a thing.

I'm a fisherman - both literally and figuratively. I have NEVER EVER met a fisherman who wasn't proud to talk about the the of rod and reel he uses, the type of bait, his favorite fishing hole, how often he fishes, "the one that got away", what time of day / night is best to catch a specific type of fish..... I actually have friends who study the Farmer's Almanac and plan their fishing adventures accordingly. I have friends with favorite fishing hats or shirts - a WHOLE collection of lures, with a different lure for every kind of fish...

Yet, when it comes to "fishers of men", it seems Satan has done quite an effective job of convincing even Christ's followers this is NOT polite conversation.

I don't know if it's because many Christians believe that the "fishers of men" concept doesn't apply to them, or what. I honestly don't know.

And, usually, when I bring up this topic on Tweb, I get an awful lot of silence.

Not only am I a fisher of men, I try to disciple others to be fishers of men also. It's like a diagnostic question, then, to find out, "are you a fisher of men?" If not, I don't berate them or beat them up - I encourage them to "ease into it".

1) Start by making a list of people who you suspect are lost and need Jesus.
    2) Begin to fervently pray for them.
    3) Ask God to make you sensitive to the possibility that maybe YOU could be the answer to that prayer.

What good is it to know a bunch of stuff about Christianity if we're not "making Christians".

(And, CLEARLY (lest somebody accuse otherwise) it is in GOD's hands, and subject to His Holy Spirit, and I don't "save" anybody - I simply tell them about Jesus)

Here's the model we use - it's quite simple - "Tell people about Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results up to God".

It works, folks - it really really works!

When did it become "gross" to talk about winning people to Jesus?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have an older lady in my Church who tells me "Pastor, I'm not a soul winner, but I am a prayer warrior, and any time you want to, you can give me the name of somebody you want to win to Jesus, and I will pray for them night and day".

She's a soul winner - she just doesn't know it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

When we use it to brag, or to condemn others, then yeah, I can see how some people might be offended. Winning souls, and leading people to Christ is our great commission, but it isn't a contest to see how many we can rack up. If we bring it up to shame people, that isn't right.

Comment

The old preacher stepped up to the pulpit, and with a stern look, told the congregation....

I have two statements to make this morning.

#1. Every day tens of thousands of people are dying and going to Hell, and most of you don't give a damn.

(audible gasps from the audience)

#2. Most of you are more concerned about the fact that I said damn than the fact that people are going to Hell.

Comment

I do my part definitely, usually in conversation. Danes are fairly dour people though who don't really believe in anything with any conviction, and are suspicious of anyone who do... still I've had many people who I can see are thinking about these things, maybe for the first time. So many who seem close. A good friend of mine said that he understood the reasonableness of what I was saying, but he couldn't imagine really changing his life around so drastically... I think he understood more than some Christians.

I've sadly yet to hear back from one who changed their mind, but... I can at least pray for them.

Comment

There's only one time in Hell, too late...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I do my part definitely, usually in conversation. Danes are fairly dour people though who don't really believe in anything with any conviction, and are suspicious of anyone who do... still I've had many people who I can see are thinking about these things, maybe for the first time. So many who seem close. A good friend of mine said that he understood the reasonableness of what I was saying, but he couldn't imagine really changing his life around so drastically... I think he understood more than some Christians.

I've sadly yet to hear back from one who changed their mind, but... I can at least pray for them.
                We have a good friend who is a Missionary in the Czech Republic. (I take that back - he's not a Missionary, he's an English Professor who does evangelism. ) He says, because of all the "Religious wars" in their country's history, MOST of the people there are atheist, and not very open to the Gospel of Christ.

HOWEVER, they happen to be very hungry to learn the English language, so he often hangs around the pubs (not bars, of course, in our context, but meeting places) and engages the locals in English. In the course of teaching them "American English" (which they seem to crave, along with American football) he is teaching them the Bible.

Meanwhile, his oldest son is outside with a group of young Czechs teaching them American football -- and Jesus.

Comment

And for anyone who wants to question Cow Poke, I have no doubt he rightfully and utterly attributes all the success of what he's doing to God. The same with me, however I'd never use the fact that all the glory belongs to God, as permission to not do my part.

Comment

And for anyone who wants to question Cow Poke, I have no doubt he rightfully and utterly attributes all the success of what he's doing to God.
                    Absolutely, but I was taught soulwinning at an early age, and it seemed to me that was the primary reason I was a Christian! It's like - gee, if the GREAT COMMISSION is about telling people about Christ, then EVERY Christian ought to be doing that!

And, again... "Tell them about Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God".

The same with me, however I'd never use the fact that all the glory belongs to God, as permission to not do my part.
                    EGGzackly -- kinda like the "pray like it all depends on God, and work like it all depends on you". (We work BECAUSE we are saved, not so that we CAN be saved. )

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Absolutely, but I was taught soulwinning at an early age, and it seemed to me that was the primary reason I was a Christian! It's like - gee, if the GREAT COMMISSION is about telling people about Christ, then EVERY Christian ought to be doing that!
                      Respect!

It should be noted that as a Catholic I see conversion as a lifelong process. We probably part ways on this (among other things). Its not a one-time event. If you've helped a person come to know that Christ is real, and rose from the dead, and gotten them to make a conversion of their life, then that's the start of a journey. Its like starting a race that needs to be run, and it doesn't really get started until you get the sacraments.

That's for a different discussion and a different thread.

EGGzackly -- kinda like the "pray like it all depends on God, and work like it all depends on you".
                      St. Augustine is the man.

(We work BECAUSE we are saved, not so that we CAN be saved. )
                      Other way around. You can call yourself saved when you're in Heaven.

Though its pretty much taught in the Catholic Church, that someone who had acted on God's behalf, helped to save even one soul, had ensured that their own would be saved as well.

Gives you that much more reason to go out there and spread the gospel.
                      Last edited by Leonhard; 04-24-2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

It should be noted that as a Catholic I see conversion as a lifelong process.
                        Technically, I say "I am saved, I am BEING saved and I WILL be saved".

We probably part ways on this (among other things). Its not a one-time event.
                        The acceptance of Christ as Savior is the beginning of a life of Service.

If you've helped a person come to know that Christ is real, and rose from the dead, and gotten them to make a conversion of their life, then that's the start of a journey. Its like starting a race that needs to be run, and it doesn't really get started until you get the sacraments.

That's for a different discussion and a different thread.
                        Yeah, if you're trying to pick a fight, it's not working!

St. Augustine is the man.

Other way around. You can call yourself saved when you're in Heaven.
                        Like I said, I believe I AM saved, am being saved, and WILL be saved - but the important thing is getting on that path.

Though its pretty much taught in the Catholic Church, that someone who had acted on God's behalf, helped to save even one soul, had ensured that their own would be saved as well.

Gives you that much more reason to go out there and spread the gospel.

Comment

So, let's see.....

To a liberal Christian, homosexual marriage is acceptable, and questions about soulwinning are "gross".

Does anybody else see a problem here?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            When did it become "gross" to talk about winning people to Jesus?
                            About ten minutes after someone stops believing that a relationship with God is necessary or a vital part of their life.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Interestingly enough today's sermon (and next week's as well will be) was on evangelism.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment