PDA

View Full Version : Wine

supton
04-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Well, considering the other thread titles are Beer, Whiskey and Rum, we might as well round it out.

Enjoying a Chardonnay at the moment. Not sure by who, but it's enjoyable.

Zymologist
04-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I like wine, though I've only ever had cheap wine and I don't buy it often because it's inconvenient.

It is good, though. I prefer red wine to white wine.

rogue06
04-25-2015, 05:09 PM
But I don't want to.

Oh. Sorry. Wrong whine.

Bill the Cat
04-25-2015, 06:05 PM
My wife drinks Barefoot. I don't drink alcohol.

rogue06
04-26-2015, 12:41 PM
My wife drinks Barefoot. I don't drink alcohol.
Even in the winter? Don't her feet get cold?

Or are you one of those male chauvinists who keeps his wife barefoot and in the kitchen making you sammiches?

robrecht
04-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Best red to go with steak, Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Very full-bodied and robust. Will not be overpowered by a good steak. It is known for being good, year in and year out, so you don't have to worry about vintage.

Best Chardonnay: Cakebread. Ferrari-Carano Reserve is also very good and only about half the price of Cakebread.

supton
04-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Wife got an app for her iThing but it only uses three stars to rate. Bugs her, but its not like she would pay money for an app. App is good though for avoiding wines we do not like. But it means I am clueless as to what we like.

Have found though that I am preferring the better wines now. Minimum of eight bucks per bottle, and usually ten makes for a decent wine. Interestingly enough, I have found that I tend to drink cheap whites fast, and then want more--but I am satisfied with just one decent glass of red. A good white and two is fine.

One Bad Pig
04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm not particular about wine, though I generally prefer red. I usually just get some at a winery near my relatives (Volant Mill Winery in PA). Chateau Ste. Michelle makes a nice Riesling. I had a bad experience or two with Riunite early in my drinking days, so I try to limit my wine consumption.

mikewhitney
04-27-2015, 03:45 PM
I guess I've never paid attention to the type of wine I've drunk.

myth
04-27-2015, 04:12 PM
I've tried a few types. Some I hated, some were pretty good. But wine isn't really my thing.

Knowing Thomas
07-31-2015, 08:39 PM
Wine is pretty much the only alcohol I can drink (which is funny, as my new job is at a wine and spirits store) and enjoy. Beer tastes like old carbonated water and yeast mixed together. Gin tastes like liquefied Christmas trees. Whiskey is lighter fluid. Rum burns my sinuses. Vodka is rubbing alcohol.

My favorite is Franco Amoroso Moscato d’ Asti.

An Italian wine, its made in the town of Asti. Due to its method of production, it has half the alcoholic content of most wines, meaning I could enjoy it without my face getting bright red and itchy after 1 glass. I bought a bottle for my girlfriend for her birthday and we absolutely loved it. Reasonably priced too!

There's a lot of wineries where I live; New York is second only to California in US wine production. I used to drive past some of them during my clinicals. :smile:

Pentecost
08-01-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm a teetotaler who was raised by a whisky drinking alcoholic, the only time I ever considered not abstaining was when I could smell the red wine a friend of mine had ordered at a restaurant from across the table. It smelled really good.

Chaotic Void
08-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Well, considering the other thread titles are Beer, Whiskey and Rum, we might as well round it out.

Enjoying a Chardonnay at the moment. Not sure by who, but it's enjoyable.

I keep wine around for when I'm cooking with it (typically either GOOD Bolognese Sauce or Coq au Vin), but I will admit I enjoyed this stuff called 19 Crimes a couple years back (it's an Australian Shiraz, if memory serves).

supton
11-21-2015, 04:56 PM
I keep seeing "19 Crimes" at the store, but am too cheap to buy it. More than $6 a bottle and I'm out.

Recently I found The Naked Grape's Pinot Noir to be really good. Bota Box chardonay is ok, nothing fancy but good for a box wine. Barefoot pinot grigio is really good, as this Volga stuff my wife picks up from time to time.

Chaotic Void
11-26-2015, 08:09 PM
I just bought a bottle of Port the other day (Cockburn's Reserve). This stuff will probably be the "Wine that I keep Around for Nice Meals... or when I don't feel like Rum/Whiskey/Beer"

Adam
12-28-2015, 12:06 PM
We're a grape-growing family in Alexander Valley, California, but I don't know a lot of wines because wine (particularly red) gives me headaches, as does any alcohol. At least I can drink it, whereas my Celiac Disease prohibits beer and probably whiskey and vodka. Are you counting fruit wines (well, grape is fruit, too)? When I was in Germany in the US Army in 1967 I drank Gewuerztramminer and loved it.
I drank a whole fifth of rotgut when I turned 21. Pretty much turned me off alcohol altogether. Almost as much as smoking one-half a cigarette (that my Dad and his friend gave me when I was 12) prevented me from ever smoking again. I do love rum and coke about every decade, and now that I am retired what I say after drinking it won't get me fired! Tequila can make me sick for months!