Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Behavioral Bee Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behavioral Bee Question

I think I figured it out but it was weird and so I'll ask. Tuesday, as I was leaving Tractor Supply, I spotted a number of bees swarming an SUV. They weren't at all aggressive - people were walking by safely. Bees aren't usually aggressive when following a queen to a new hive so I suspected at first that she was in the SUV somewhere. The poor guy came out and didn't quite know what to do - but he'd already walked into the middle of them so I assured him that as long as he didn't do anything to harass them - or kill one - they'd leave him alone (I know, but I couldn't do it - it's the grammar nazi in me... ) He got in on the other side and then drove off. The bees stayed put.

Hmm, so she's nearby. The pylons in front of the parking place, maybe?

Another truck arrived and I warned the lady in it that the bees were there (I'd already told the folks in Tractor Supply - parking lots are bad places for bees to be. Parking lots in front of Dollar General next to Tractor Supply are worse - kids and bees are a bad combo when the kids aren't used to them). She got back in and moved it. A few followed a short distance - and promptly became enamored of a gray car nearby. They eventually lost interest and came back. That happened a time or two more.

There weren't many bees - compared to a normal swarm they were a handful. It finally dawned on me that they were looking for the swarm itself. How they got misplaced, I'm not sure - you'd think a driver would notice a full swarm of freaking bees! (Well, especially if they were really freaking but that's another story)

At least that's what I think. Other possibilities?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

I don't know anything about bees but I wanted to point out that this thread should have been called 'Bee-havioural Question,' that is all
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

I for one do not have an answer. There are some possibilities, but . . .
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have seen swarming bees many times - but never so few and never so committed to an area where no queen was evident.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Perhaps the swarm was on a previous vehicle which drove off. The handful of scouts would be completely at sea.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That was my theory - but how do you not notice an active swarm in your car?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Maybe it was more like a semi?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Maybe it was more like a semi?
                No, that couldn't have parked so close to the door - it's not physically possible. Good thought, though.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Wheel wells are not an uncommon place for a swarm.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X