Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Godincidence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godincidence...

There is a term I have heard from younger Christians; Godincidence. An event that seems to go beyond a chance explanation. Here is an example by A.S.A. Jones:

Last year, I was at a party in the midst of a large crowd of people and I casually glanced over to a small group. A man got out of his chair and started walking to another table. I had never seen the man before and I only saw him for a total of 4 seconds or so, but for some reason, the thought entered my mind that he was a child molester. I have no idea what caused me to think this; I never knowingly had met a child molester before, but an alarm went off in my head. I wasn't aware of anything about the man that I had seen that would warrant thinking this of him - I had only seen him walk from one table to another, and I had witnessed no interaction between him and any other person. I chastised myself for thinking such horrid and unfounded thoughts about a person. The next day, I received a phone call from the host of the party. He said, "We're going to have to be careful with the kids. I have to tell you something about one of the people who was there, yesterday."

I blurted out, "Don't tell me! I know exactly what you're going to say!" He confirmed my initial suspicion.

A skeptic may read the above and immediately think that I am insinuating that I can identify child molesters on sight. This is not what I am saying. Also, had I been the type of person who sees a child molester in half of the people they meet, it would have been only a matter of time before I managed to identify the real thing. However, I know exactly how I felt, I know that I don't usually go around thinking such things and I know the amount of data to which I was exposed. Because I know that my experience was legitimate, and because I accept that other people share these types of experiences, I can only conclude that our brains acquire information of which we aren't even aware, and use this information in a manner that goes beyond our usual thought processes. It is the uncomfortable idea of not being able to intelligently give reasons for our perceptions that tempt us to reject them. Had my friend not brought up the subject, I would have never mentioned my experience for fear that people would think I was strange.

http://web.archive.org/web/200602091...d-is-real.html

Now one of my examples happened just last week. My son's job often takes him on the road and I call him most every day. Last Friday before I hung up I told him to be careful driving home. I never say this. When I hung up, I wondered to myself why I did say that - and, as reported later, so did my son. Anyway, coming off one of our major highways the break line blew out on his truck and he lost all breaking ability. He was able to to finally roll to a stop, but he was safe. This seems like more than coincidence to me.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Why not "miracle"?

And it seems you meant "brake line," not "break line."
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      There is a term I have heard from younger Christians; Godincidence. An event that seems to go beyond a chance explanation. Here is an example by A.S.A. Jones:

Now one of my examples happened just last week. My son's job often takes him on the road and I call him most every day. Last Friday before I hung up I told him to be careful driving home. I never say this. When I hung up, I wondered to myself why I did say that - and, as reported later, so did my son. Anyway, coming off one of our major highways the break line blew out on his truck and he lost all breaking ability. He was able to to finally roll to a stop, but he was safe. This seems like more than coincidence to me.
      Mystic Tofu.Take The Course of Miracles.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I think we intuitively have a very poor sense of the mathematics involved in probability. Added to that we only notice when coincidence works in our favour and forget instances where no coincidence occurs. It's easy to attribute coincidence to some power (our brains are programed to make links and will do so even when there aren't any). One of my favourite phenomena is pareidolia, our brain's assigning of significance where there isn't any. A common one is seeing faces:

faces.600.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          And it seems you meant "brake line," not "break line."
          Yes...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
            I think we intuitively have a very poor sense of the mathematics involved in probability. Added to that we only notice when coincidence works in our favour and forget instances where no coincidence occurs. It's easy to attribute coincidence to some power (our brains are programed to make links and will do so even when there aren't any). One of my favourite phenomena is pareidolia, our brain's assigning of significance where there isn't any. A common one is seeing faces:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6411[/ATTACH]
            Yes exactly. The same applies to the predictions of Jeane Dixon and the like. One remembers the predictions that sort of come true and forgets the majority that don't.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Good concept, dorky name.

Comment

And there was a guy who won the lottery last week, and the odds of him doing that are less than 1 in a million. No way can that be just chance...

Can it?
                My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                  And there was a guy who won the lottery last week, and the odds of him doing that are less than 1 in a million. No way can that be just chance...

Can it?
                  Well what are the chances of A.S.A. Jones having the idea he had or me saying something I never say on the day my son lost his brakes? Are these one in a million or a zillion? Or beyond calculation?

Comment

Well what are the chances of A.S.A. Jones having the idea he had or me saying something I never say on the day my son lost his brakes? Are these one in a million or a zillion? Or beyond calculation?
                    What are the odds of someone somewhere doing it? What are the odds of you doing it or something equivalent some time in your life?

Pretty high I would guess.
                    My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Some people are predisposed to be overimpressed by such things. Why attach the protective hand of God in this event when so many others have perished in car accidents? What meaning does the event carry other than something banal and hackneyed like "it wasn't your son's time to go."?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                        Some people are predisposed to be overimpressed by such things. Why attach the protective hand of God in this event when so many others have perished in car accidents? What meaning does the event carry other than something banal and hackneyed like "it wasn't your son's time to go."?
                        Yes of course, it's "the luck of the draw".
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          Good concept, dorky name.
                          Cornball concept. It was expressed in the movie "Signs."

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Yes of course, it's "the luck of the draw".
                            Impossible! It had to be God telling seer to tell his son to "drive carefully."

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                              Impossible! It had to be God telling seer to tell his son to "drive carefully."
                              And your opinion matters why?

Comment