PDA

View Full Version : Dad Fell

Cow Poke
05-22-2015, 11:05 AM
He lives in Ohio, so I can't just "run over there", but he got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and fell and hit his head on the toilet paper holder, and managed to wedge himself between the tub and toilet. My sister had spent the night, praise God, and was able to help him until the ambulance came.

Now Dad is in the Hospital, and things have kinda spiraled down. It appears he may have "hospital psychosis (http://www.sw.org/misc/health/Hospital%20Psychosis.html)" (saw some of that last year when I went to New Orleans to rescue him when he, on a Senior Trip, became very ill, and his wife had to be hospitalized for a week or so.) He's being combative and confused (he is NEVER combative, occasionally confused) and can't understand why he's in the hospital.

From what I can tell, he'll be released to a rehab unit, then probably a nursing home. He's in his mid 90's, and it looks like the time has come when he gives up "living at home", and begins that "last stage of life".

It's hard.

Probably heading up there either today, or, if it can wait, after Sunday Service.

DesertBerean
05-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Yeah...it's hard. :frown: :pray:

Jude
05-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Praying for you brother. Godspeed and take care.

Sparko
05-22-2015, 11:48 AM
:pray:

Cerebrum123
05-22-2015, 11:51 AM

mossrose
05-22-2015, 11:56 AM
:hug:

Teallaura
05-22-2015, 11:58 AM
:hug:

Abigail
05-22-2015, 12:03 PM

DesertBerean
05-22-2015, 12:26 PM
I guess you don't have an assistant pastor or something?

Cow Poke
05-22-2015, 12:36 PM
I guess you don't have an assistant pastor or something?

I do - I just hate being gone on Sunday Mornings, because it's the only real weekly service we have*. And, since you mention it, I have to realize that the Church is much stronger than when I first got there, and there were only 16 - 20 people in attendance on a Sunday Morning and lots of fear and confusion.

We really have grown quite a bit since those days.

*we have a Wednesday Night prayer service, and are contemplating starting a Sunday Night service.

LostSheep
05-22-2015, 03:02 PM

Truthseeker
05-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Christy
05-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Jedidiah
05-22-2015, 09:15 PM
This will be in my prayers. I am anticipating something similar in the near future. My folks are both in their 90s.

Cow Poke
05-24-2015, 02:11 PM
So, my baby sister visited Dad today, and talked to his doctor. Apparently, Dad had a couple of doctor visits in the weeks before he fell with different doctors. Each prescribed pain management unaware of what the other did. (local pharmacy usually catches that "interactions problem", but, for some reason, didn't.)

Apparently, the combination of drugs dad was on explains the delirium, and possibly even the imbalance causing the fall. He's still pretty bruised by the fall, but much more "right minded" (for a 93 year old). He and his wife (he remarried after Mom passed) have had FOUR 911 calls between them in the last month, and they both realize it may be time to give up "living at home".

Emergency over, no need to rush to Ohio - will see them in mid-June when I go to the SBC convention in Columbus, just 50 miles from where they live.

Thanks for your prayers!

Sparko
05-24-2015, 02:13 PM
That's great news

DesertBerean
05-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Fantastic. Now fire that pharmacy.

Cow Poke
05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Fantastic. Now fire that pharmacy.

Yeah, I think it's one of those "mom and pop" home town pharmacy things that isn't hooked into the database of interactions.... I'll definitely check into that when I'm in Ohio --- this is one of the services I have provided our older Church members for the past 25 years or so... I have them round up all their prescriptions, then I take them to a doctor friend who checks all the interactions and advises them to drop prescriptions that either cancel something out, or have bad interactions. MOST of the bigger pharmacies - CVS, Walgreens, etc - do that automatically when they enter the info into the computer. In that case, the key is to make sure ALL your prescriptions are with the same pharmacy.

Also, Walmart has prescription programs for senior adults where there's either a really cheap co-pay (even less than your insurer) or no co-pay at all.

Teallaura
05-24-2015, 04:12 PM
First: :woohoo:

Second, find out if they were all filled at the same pharmacy. The doctors aren't completely off the hook - finding out your patient's recent history is Med School 101.

But stuff happens - find out why before yelling.

Cow Poke
05-24-2015, 04:18 PM
First: :woohoo:

Second, find out if they were all filled at the same pharmacy.

Yeah, that's why I said...

I'll definitely check into that when I'm in Ohio ---

The doctors aren't completely off the hook - finding out your patient's recent history is Med School 101.

Yeah, but Medicare is prone to "hurry up and get them out of here cause we're only getting paid pennies on the dollar to see these old people".

But stuff happens - find out why before yelling.

I hadn't really considered yelling. :smile: I want them to be NICE to my Dad next time he comes in.

Teallaura
05-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah, that's why I said...
I know - just repeating.

Yeah, but Medicare is prone to "hurry up and get them out of here cause we're only getting paid pennies on the dollar to see these old people".
But it doesn't protect against malpractice so Doc still has to do his job - and yes, I sympathize with Doc.

I hadn't really considered yelling. :smile: I want them to be NICE to my Dad next time he comes in.That was mostly for DB. :shrug:

Cow Poke
05-24-2015, 04:30 PM
I know - just repeating.

:thumb:

But it doesn't protect against malpractice so Doc still has to do his job - and yes, I sympathize with Doc.

Agreed. Unfortunately, that's why a LOT of small practice Docs in my area are not taking any new Medicare patients.

That was mostly for DB. :shrug:

When she said "fire that pharmacy", she meant in the most loving and compassionate sense possible. :glare:

Teallaura
05-24-2015, 04:32 PM

When she said "fire that pharmacy", she meant in the most loving and compassionate sense possible. :glare:
:yes: I'm sure she did. We might wanna keep her away from sharp objects until she stops foaming at the mouth, though...

Cow Poke
05-24-2015, 04:34 PM
:yes: I'm sure she did. We might wanna keep her away from sharp objects until she stops foaming at the mouth, though...

That really did make me smile. :grin:

DesertBerean
05-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Dang was I foaming that much?

Teallaura
05-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Nah, only enough for your friends to notice. :hug:

DesertBerean
05-24-2015, 10:54 PM
:noid:

Cow Poke
06-30-2015, 03:09 PM
So, I spent a few days with Dad in Ohio after the SBC Convention, and had a good visit. I still think a lot of his problem is his hearing. He has had at least THREE (that I know of) very expensive hearing aids, but doesn't seem to experience much good from them.

He was in a Rehab unit after leaving the hospital, and is being 'rehabbed' to go back home.

Problem is, I don't think he's cooperating, because I don't think he WANTS to go home. After decades of caring for other people, he is waited on hand and foot at this rehab place. It's pretty nice - clean, neat and doesn't smell like an old folks' home.

He has actually told my sister -- "see those three guys over there?" (in the common area, playing checkers) "they're RESIDENTS -- I want to find out how to do that".

:sigh:

His wife is at home by herself, but she can't really live alone, and he doesn't want her to. He wants her to come live with him at the Rehab center.

Dad is in pretty decent health for a 94+ year old guy, and his mind is pretty sharp.

So...... siblings are conspiring, but don't know yet what direction....

Cerebrum123
06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Still :pray:ing.

Thoughtful Monk
07-01-2015, 04:56 PM

Teallaura
07-01-2015, 05:04 PM